V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if the individual is a member here or not, but I saw a Road King rear end a Dodge Caliber on I-75 coming home from up north Sunday. I was in the right lane going between 70 and 75. There was a line of cars in the LH lane nose to tail going 80ish. The Road King passed me (I'd estimate 80-85 MPH when he passed me) and looked over his right shoulder and waved. I nodded, but kept my eyes ahead as holiday traffic is always a little goofy. Immediately as the guy looked over, the line of cars hit their brakes. At this point, the Road King was about 1/2 car length behind the Caliber and closing. He ended up locking up both wheels to the point that they were smoking, the bike pitched slightly to the right and I'm 99.999% sure his front wheel came into contact w/ the Calibers rear bumper. At the moment of impact, the Caliber driver released the brake and pulled ahead a little bit. Somehow, the Road King rider managed not to high side himself and continued on his way at the same/similar rate of speed. I have no idea what kept this guy shiny side up other than luck/grace.
Walking through what happened in my head, here's what I can think the guy was doing wrong...1. Travelling too fast for conditions, 2. too close to the next vehicle, 3. Not watching where he was going. If this guy had gone down, it was 100% his own fault.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Don't really care how you seen it, but it sounds like a punk that is going to learn the hard way some day. Hopefully he doesn't take anybody with him.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It happens to the best of us, all it takes is one moment of distraction to create a problem. Awhile back I posted the thread about almost rear ending a car because I was checking out a cool military jet flying over head. It happens to everyone, just make sure you learn from it.

If everyone here say's they always watch the road and are in tune 100% of the time I'd say you aren't being truthful.

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
I ride with a guy that is constantly tailgating. Sometimes I'll get ahead of him and if he chooses to stay behind me I'll keep us both at a safe distance, but let him get in front and back on somebody's ass I'll find him. From what I can tell, he intently watches what is happening in front of him, but he's still too close and no amount of ridicule has stopped him from doing it.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
dougsthang' said:
It happens to the best of us, all it takes is one moment of distraction to create a problem. Awhile back I posted the thread about almost rear ending a car because I was checking out a cool military jet flying over head. It happens to everyone, just make sure you learn from it.

If everyone here say's they always watch the road and are in tune 100% of the time I'd say you aren't being truthful.
Your more PC than I am. I would say they are lying or at the very least delusional. Perhaps they think they in tune 100% of the time but they are only fooling themselves.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
It's hard to keep your distance when you are in heavy traffic. Thats why you have to give it that much more effort. Im a truck driver during the day and see it all. When Im on the bike I stay in the fast lane and try to keep my distance from all cages. Being in the fast lane gives me another out as long as the emergency lane is empty.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Just MHO but at 85 mph sh*t happens too fast for me. That's why I stay over, keep my space, and let them fukkers fly by if they want. Please don't slam me for being a grandpa...I mostly go with the flow safely but will only go so far over the speed limit...maybe about 5 mph. If you want to go faster.....just put my ass in your rearview mirror. Then again...my wideglide is a drag barred, Badlander seat, no windshield, cruising machine....and does not need reentry tiles. :wacko:

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Originally posted by 04GLIDE
It's hard to keep your distance when you are in heavy traffic.
You're right it is but, to the extent I can, I follow the two-second rule. If I think I'm too close to a vehicle ahead of me, I do the one-motorcyle-one, two-motorcycle-two count they tell you about in the MSF course.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
It is easy to get complacent riding a scoot. Problem is just when you relax and get too comfortable it bites you in the butt like this fellow. You really have to ride like the rest of those folks out there are out to kill you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
A lot of my riding buddy's prefer the interstate in far left staying with traffic (80-90mph). I did not buy my scoot for transportation from point a to point b, so I avoid the interstates if at all possible. I stay on farm to market roads where traffic runs more 60-65mph. Wherever a interstate takes you there are alternative roads which are scenic and relaxing to cruise. If I need to get somewhere in a big hurry I'll take one of my cages to play this modern day dog eat dog game.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
texasfxr2 said:
A lot of my riding buddy's prefer the interstate in far left staying with traffic (80-90mph). I did not buy my scoot for transportation from point a to point b, so I avoid the interstates if at all possible. I stay on farm to market roads where traffic runs more 60-65mph. Wherever a interstate takes you there are alternative roads which are scenic and relaxing to cruise. If I need to get somewhere in a big hurry I'll take one of my cages to play this modern day dog eat dog game.

I go along with that except for really long trips where if I took the secondary roads my whole trip would be spent getting there...and then some.

Ride Safe
-Randy-

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I'm with ya FLFat. Sometimes the superslap is the only way. I ride my own ride so it's usually at or about the speed limit. Screw that 2 second rule. I leave about 3 because 2 seconds is pleanty of space for someone to weasle in fast and not leave me with reacion time. 3 seconds leaves me time to react. That and I avoid cities all together unless I have to.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
BOUTYM said:
I ride with a guy that is constantly tailgating. Sometimes I'll get ahead of him and if he chooses to stay behind me I'll keep us both at a safe distance, but let him get in front and back on somebody's ass I'll find him. From what I can tell, he intently watches what is happening in front of him, but he's still too close and no amount of ridicule has stopped him from doing it.
Tailgaiters SUCK! I don't do it in the cage and i certainly don't on the bike. And i hate it when people do it to me. There is a reason for the safety zone between you and the vehicle in front of you - and the zone increases with speed. I would venture to say that tailgaiting is probably the number one cause of accidents on interstate highways.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Road Glider said:
It is easy to get complacent riding a scoot. Problem is just when you relax and get too comfortable it bites you in the butt like this fellow. You really have to ride like the rest of those folks out there are out to kill you.
Ya, I almost rear-ended a car turning left in front of me, I was deep in thought. This, about a month after my buddy DID rear-end someone. Thank God, he and his wife didn't get a scratch, but it could have been bad. He was enjoying his radio, something that is new to him on bikes. (he's old school, no make it go, no have it on bike).

I read somewhere that statistically, the safest year to ride your bike (in experience) is your 2nd. You are more skilled than the first year, and still take safety seriously. The longer we ride, the more likely we are to become lax. Taking a safety course every coupla years can help remind us, I think.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts