V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you didn't, let me break it down for you. HD VROD gets blown away by a Suzuki. Don't know exactly what type of Suzuki, maybe a 750ish naked streetbike. The Suzuki rider stated that Harley-Davidsons are junk and are always breaking, but as soon as he won the third race and claimed his sweet new HD VROD, his face lit up like a Christmas tree. His bike was worth around $7,000, the Harley's owner claimed his ride was $18,000. What was he thinking racing a quarter mile for pinks? Anybody else catch it?

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Sarge12R said:
If you didn't, let me break it down for you. HD VROD gets blown away by a Suzuki. Don't know exactly what type of Suzuki, maybe a 750ish naked streetbike. The Suzuki rider stated that Harley-Davidsons are junk and are always breaking, but as soon as he won the third race and claimed his sweet new HD VROD, his face lit up like a Christmas tree. His bike was worth around $7,000, the Harley's owner claimed his ride was $18,000. What was he thinking racing a quarter mile for pinks? Anybody else catch it?

That is actually a re-run from the first season. The Kawasaki was valued at 4000 and it was a 1000. While I am not dissing a V-Rod, he shouldn't have raced that guys Kawasaki 1000 for pinks stock. The guy had a horsepower and huge weight advantage.

Not very smart on his part, but good for the guy that trailored it home I guess.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
The guy deserved to lose the V-Rod.
Actually, to quote Clint Eastwood, "Deserves got nothin' to do with it"

He was a moron to race a Kawasaki 1000.
I wish I was there to get some of that side action because that was about as close to a sure thing that there ever was.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Sarge12R said:
... What was he thinking racing a quarter mile for pinks? ....
The premise of these "reality" shows are always suspect to me, so I don't watch. Do you think some one is REALLY going to risk losing an expensive machine to win a cheap machine?

You would think the V-rod "owner" would at least take the time to read some magazine comparison tests.

I wish SPEED would cover the motorcycle race season better. These shows must be inexpensive to produce. My $0.02.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Actually it was a 1980s Suzuki (not a Kaw). And...based on the premise of the show, you could beat a V-Rod (or any bike) on something as humble as a mo-ped - because you "negotiate" lengths to handicap yourself or your competitor. The V-Rod guy just wasn't a good negotiator. I've seen the slower guy win because of the system that they use to give advantages to the lesser machine.

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
My husband and I are hooked on "Pinks". It's amusing to see what p*ssies some of the guys are. The two guys on last night who both rode Hyabusa's made me roll my eyes. Neither would put up their bike so they both chipped in to buy a street bike that the winner would take to ride for "bragging rights". The pencil-neck guy took a win when the Pinks guy started the race before the other guy had nodded he was ready, then whined when they tried to say he jumped on the next race and should do it over.

My favorite was the guy with the UNBELIEVABLE corvette (1200 hp or something outrageous like that) against a guy's Nova. They were REAL racers - raced heads up for the most part. Corvette guy almost lost his ride when a wire to the friggin' CLOCK shorted out! Talk about nerve wracking...

Nova guy asked on the last race for the Corvette guy to give up stage 2 of his NOS and all it did was make the 'Vette stick even better and he got whipped even worse. But he took his medicine and didn't whine when he had to give up his sweet ride.

I'd rather watch Pinks than any other "reality" show - never have watched Survivor or any of that crap....

·
Registered
57 Posts
If it was the same show I watched some months ago (I think it was the first episode ever of Pinks) the bike was an '83 Suzuki GS1100 E which when new would run low 11s in the quarter (I had one). That Suzuki was worth $2500 max.

·
Registered
310 Posts
RickinColorado said:
Actually it was a 1980s Suzuki (not a Kaw). And...based on the premise of the show, you could beat a V-Rod (or any bike) on something as humble as a mo-ped - because you "negotiate" lengths to handicap yourself or your competitor. The V-Rod guy just wasn't a good negotiator. I've seen the slower guy win because of the system that they use to give advantages to the lesser machine.
So was there a handicap negociated? I havent seen the show, and know little about dragracing, so I have no idea how one would negociate that.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The first race went to the VROD, the Suzuki rider just plain blew the start. You can negociate the next races, ie. bike lengths, no NOS, etc...The Suzuki rider said hell no, he didn't want crap. Sure as **** he won the next two races. I didn't know that show was a repeat, I wish they could put the motorcycle Pinks on Two-Wheel Tuesdays or something.

·
Registered
271 Posts
There was also two guys with hyabusa's, neither was willing to lose their bike so they split the cost of another bike that would be the prize.
I thought it was good racing.
I wish they gave out the ET and speed.

·
Registered
434 Posts
FWIW, I've heard that its really scripted and the guys really aren't losing their rides. Anybody else heard this? :dunno:

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
I know my stock Roadking is not a drag bike.

I did not buy it to drag race. There are many bikes that can beat it out of the hole.

My 2 stroke Honda CR-500 would wipe many bikes in a drag race. I could never ride that bike on the highway to the horizon and beyond.

That is a function of power to weight physics.

But If I could win an HD by running a ringer against it in a drag race.........Well

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Sprung said:
FWIW, I've heard that its really scripted and the guys really aren't losing their rides. Anybody else heard this? :dunno:
No, they really are racing for pinks. If you want to find out first hand, contact the show and take that Buell down to see if you can bring another ride home. :p

·
Registered
434 Posts
Fatb0y said:
No, they really are racing for pinks. If you want to find out first hand, contact the show and take that Buell down to see if you can bring another ride home. :p

ehh, no thanks. MAybe on a road course, but probably not there either. I'd have to be pretty flush with cash to put the title on the line.....That's gotta be tough; losing your ride....DOH! 'Splain that to the wife......:spank:

·
Registered
624 Posts
I saw that program the first time it aired. The V-Rod had clutch problems after the first race. The guy had done some upgrades to the V-Rod and had not touched the clutch. At the end of the second race they let it cool down for 20 minutes hoping that would help, it didn't. What moron races for pinks and doesn't even have his bike ready? I also thought it was typical that the Suzuki guy bad mouthed the Harley but the Harley guy never said anything bad about the Suzuki. After winning the V-Rod the Suzuki guy sang a different tune and was so happy to win the V-Rod he couldn't stand it. Kinda two faced if you ask me but pretty typical.

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Sprung said:
Yup,
In fact. Good friend of mine drag races his Buick Grand National. One of his stupid friends went on pinks and lost. They trailered the car away for the camera. But one week later...he was driving his own car again. Just like wrestling. Know it's fake and leave it as entertainment.

·
Registered
109 Posts
CherokeeTad said:
I saw that program the first time it aired. The V-Rod had clutch problems after the first race. The guy had done some upgrades to the V-Rod and had not touched the clutch. At the end of the second race they let it cool down for 20 minutes hoping that would help, it didn't. What moron races for pinks and doesn't even have his bike ready? I also thought it was typical that the Suzuki guy bad mouthed the Harley but the Harley guy never said anything bad about the Suzuki. After winning the V-Rod the Suzuki guy sang a different tune and was so happy to win the V-Rod he couldn't stand it. Kinda two faced if you ask me but pretty typical.
Oh yeah cuz no one with Harleys bad mouth any other riders right?

And the reason the guy was happy in the end when he won was because he coudn't wait to sell that pos and run to the bank. lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
I seen it also, I was hoping the ROD would win but had my doubts. Hell the Suzuki even had the front wheel of the ground and still beat him!

Ride Safe!

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
eglide1 said:
There was also two guys with hyabusa's, neither was willing to lose their bike so they split the cost of another bike that would be the prize.
I talked about this in my first post but nobody responded. I figured it was because nobody wanted a girl on the playground with the boys...(sniff). ;)

·
OLDBOY
784 Posts
Rock_Steady said:
...One of his stupid friends went on pinks and lost. They trailered the car away for the camera. But one week later...he was driving his own car again. Just like wrestling. Know it's fake and leave it as entertainment.
Yeah I have my suspicions about all these reality shows.

I watch “Build or Bust” on Speed and all too often there will be 4 minutes left, an hour's work still be completed, then a hard cut to a scene that looks like it actually hours later (with the S&S wall clock never in view of the camera durring that scene), all the work is complete, and the bike starts and runs like its already good and warm. I wish the show was in high def so I could zoom in on someone's watch and catch the scam.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts