V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone told me this last evening and I'm just curious. I hope the problems have been taken care of on the 06's

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
It wasn't a leaking problem per se... It was bad valve guide seals, but not on all '05s... just some early production units. My RK had the bad seals and was using about 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles. No drips, no smoke, just disappearing oil.

I didn't know what to do until I found this forum... the boys here were on it and gave me all the info I needed to wake up my local dealer.

HD is aware of the problem and will replace the valve guides at no cost. A lot of folks, myself included, took this opportunity to upgrade to the 95ci kit while the labor was free.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Dave1200C said:
Someone told me this last evening and I'm just curious. I hope the problems have been taken care of on the 06's
Hi Dave,

Not leaking per se, but excess consumption due to bad valve seals.

There are many threads on this topic.

regards,

wyo

·
Just Above Idle
108 Posts
Old School:

When does a Harley Stop Leaking Oil ???

When It's Empty!!!!

:roflback:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Mines a "06/2005" scoot. I havent noticed any significant oil loss. I'll pay closer attention now but havent seen anything concerning yet.

Thanx for the tip 8-ball!! :thumbsup: I might just go ahead and tell them mine is consuming oil. :D

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
SiLlY said:
Mines a "06/2005" scoot. I havent noticed any significant oil loss. I'll pay closer attention now but havent seen anything concerning yet.

Thanx for the tip 8-ball!! :thumbsup: I might just go ahead and tell them mine is consuming oil. :D
Is it?............

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
Here's a thread that explains the problem in detail. http://www.v-twinforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63946

Not all '05's have excessive oil consumption but they all have the problem. The "bad" valve seals were used into '06 as well. The fix HD implemented (updated valve seals) treats the symptom but doesn't cure the problem. Even with the new seals, the oil is trapped in the base of the valve seal/spring seat.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
SiLlY said:
I might just go ahead and tell them mine is consuming oil.
You can tell them anything you want. Before HD pays for anything they will verify your claim. Specifically, there are protocols to diagnose and document excess oil consumption.

Visit HarleyHog's Lair. About half way down the page you see a link called Diagnosing Oil Consumption.
This will give you some idea about the process.

regards,

wyo

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
wyodude said:
You can tell them anything you want. Before HD pays for anything they will verify your claim. Specifically, there are protocols to diagnose and document excess oil consumption.

Visit HarleyHog's Lair. About half way down the page you see a link called Diagnosing Oil Consumption.
This will give you some idea about the process.

regards,

wyo

Funny.... that is what the manager at my dealer told me... sent me back to talk to the service manager to begin the process... the service manager pulled the plugs, and scheduled a tear down.

Unfortunately, I just found out from Steve at GMR who is rebuilding my motor, they used new bad seals. They didn't use the upgraded orange one. Although, to be fair, I seem to recall the first of the newly redesigned seals were still black which caused a lot of confusion. This led to the change in color... this could also simply be part of my recurring nightmare.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
You're asking about oil leaks in late model Road Kings. Yes, there was a problem. Some of the touring bikes developed leaks from bad shifter seals.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
2001 FLHR bad shifter seal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts