V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My search for a "Grampa" has already yielded positive results.
I have found a 2004 Ultra, 30,000 miles in new condition. It had a bunch of extras (all HD), something called a "stage 1" set up on it with SE slip on mufflers.

I am waiting for a warranty claims report, and a final selling price.

Is there anything I should be concerned about regarding the 2004 Ultra?
I know nothing of the "Twinkie" engines but the cam chain tensioners were just replaced. (I read this is normal?)

Any comments or suggestions on things to have a better look at?

Thanks,

Brad

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
My 04 Ultra had a cam bearing failure at 15,000. And not the rear one that usually fails. Mine was in the front and HD only replaced cam and bearing.

Strange because when the rear one fails the service bulletin calls for complete change out of everything in the cam chest. Also dropping the oil pan and cleaning out.

I didnt even get an oil change. Im glad because I got to peek at the magnetic drain plug and inside the filter. WOW! the freaking metal shrapnel

Conclusion. This bike was traded back to a dealer just before the warranty expired. If they say its OK, then they can freaking have it.

Dont let this scare you, just needed to vent. Most 04 owners have had nothing like I did occur.

BUT, I would need an explanationas to why the tensioners were changed.

Normal to change? this was not what HD called for. this was what mile eating HD owners have done to eliminate concern for pre-mature failures. Because, they are wearing/ and/or failing prematurely

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info scooternut.
You engine had a bearing failure and the dealer did not even flush out the engine and change the oil and filter?? Wow, that does not seem right.

I BOUGHT the aforementioned '04 Ultra. The cam chain tensioners were replaced to cure a top end noise. I am told most TC engines of this generation need the tensioners at about this mileage and are usually good to go thereafter. (Opinions?)

Brad

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I have an 04 with 27,000mi on it. No major problems. I had a IAT sensor wire break and a small oil leak fixed under warrenty. I am going to check the cam chain tensioners when I do the 30,000mi service. I plan on keeping this bike around for a long time. May go geardrive cams depending on what I find.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
04GLIDE said:
I have an 04 with 27,000mi on it. No major problems. I had a IAT sensor wire break and a small oil leak fixed under warrenty. I am going to check the cam chain tensioners when I do the 30,000mi service. I plan on keeping this bike around for a long time. May go geardrive cams depending on what I find.
'04 was a good year.....so are other years. They are all going to need some attention here and there. Enjoy your ride.

:)

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
34,600 miles on my '04. No problems with the crank bearing. My tensioners were swapped at about 15,000 mile when I had new gears put in and they looked pretty good still. No cam bearing problems at the time of cam swap either. I'mgoing with gear drive cams soon so I'll see how the tensioners and cam bearings look then. Also, never a drop of oil leaked anywhere,

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
newultraclassic is very wise...all years are good and will need some attention. Congrats on the 04.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I am glad to hear there is no inherent problems with the '04 year bikes. This one looks to be very well taken care of. An old timer who buys one every 2 years and he just traded this one on an SE Ultra. That is a nice bike!!

Several long months of winter will be separating me with my toys...
The first warm day of spring will be interesting,
Old faithful ('91 FLSTC)
Bad ass (wicked 124" chopper)
"The Couch" (The latest and greatest)

Anyone want to place bets??

Once I get her home I am sure I will be full of questions!!

Brad

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
My '04 came with a two-year, unlimited mileage warranty. I don't know if it's transferable or not. Not a bit of trouble by the way (knocking on wood). I have the B (balanced) engine.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fourstar said:
My '04 came with a two-year, unlimited mileage warranty. I don't know if it's transferable or not. Not a bit of trouble by the way (knocking on wood). I have the B (balanced) engine.
fourstar,
Yes this bike has the 2 year warranty but it expires end of this month.
We have several inches of snow right now so I could not even take a road test!! I hope everything will be fine.

Brad

·
Registered
319 Posts
"Grampa"??????? I guess you have never rode across this country flat-out on bagger.

"you might find me dead in a ditch someday---but I'll be laying in a pile of brass"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Loved my 2004 Ultra.
Never any problems with it at all.
I had the 95BB kit on the engine when it was new.
I'd still have it if I hadn't wrecked it - but that wasn't the fault of the bike.
Go for it.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
rentalman said:
fourstar,
Yes this bike has the 2 year warranty but it expires end of this month.
We have several inches of snow right now so I could not even take a road test!! I hope everything will be fine.

Brad
Rentalman,

You should be able to buy the extended warranty as long as it hasn't expired yet. Get prices from your dealer. There is a difference of opinion whether it is worth it or not. I like having the piece of mind.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AirGlider said:
Rentalman,

You should be able to buy the extended warranty as long as it hasn't expired yet. Get prices from your dealer. There is a difference of opinion whether it is worth it or not. I like having the piece of mind.
Airglider,
Yes the dealer offered extended warranty.
I purchased 1 year of coverage for $975. I even got a lower interest rate on the loan because I bought the warranty. All said, purchasing the warranty did not make much difference in the monthly payments. With all the electrionics on these bikes, I like having a bit of warranty!

Brad

1 - 14 of 14 Posts