V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
233 Posts
I bought 3 year coverage last December on a used FXSTB. It is transferable, there are several paragraphs on this subject in the coverage papers. I was taken for $1090 on a three year extended warranty for the used bike, the 5 year for my new one cost $879. This is negotiable with the dealer, they sell it and you can also cancel it and get back a prorated amount. This too comes back from the dealer. Same thing with GAP insurance.

· Registered
233 Posts
Believe it or not I just used mine two weeks ago. Took the ‘00 Night Train in for the 15K and
the dealer called me wanting to replace the primary seal and rocker seals. First asked if I had the
extended warranty then suggested they go ahead with it. Cost $50 for both and save me over
$300 in parts and labor.

I don’t feel it’s the mechanical that will get you, its all the electronics and computers on-board
these days that go.

The extended warranty is nothing but an insurance policy. If you use it 2 - 3 time over the time
covered you probably covered your costs. Its also negotiable on price. There are other private
companies that will cover these repair costs. Several will cover EFI starting in January. To give
you the difference, I paid $300 less for a 5 year from my current dealer on the FL then on a 3 year from
Famous Mikes on the FX. :mad: Buyer beware!

· Registered
233 Posts
Cromagnum, I came to this conclusion when the dealer gave me one price and I started talking about how I could get a longer term with a lower rate with an after market company. They than dropped the price to about $80 over the after market cost. This type of insurance is where big commissions are made. From bike to computers every one wants to sell you an extended warranty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.