V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it void the H-D warranty if I do my own maintenance and servicing?

I'm going to be bringing in my '02 FLHTCI to the dealer for the 1,000 mile service and stage-1 soon, and I had a question -- can I do all of the servicing myself after this service, or does H-D need to get the bike every 5,000 miles in order to maintain the warranty? I paid for the 7-year warranty, and I don't want to blow it...

I have put together a maintenance record book and I could record all of the service and maintenance recommended by the service manual, and could also keep the receipts there.

Any input appreciated -- what has your experience been?

Thanks,
Mitch

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
The Warranty is NOT voided if you can show Mx complied with. Keep the receipts and write the milage down.

There is nothing in the Warranty that states work must be done by a HD shop.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
By the way, a warranty on any product can only be denied if they can show that it has expired or that you have violated specific terms in the agreement.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Many riders perform their own maintanance and there is no problem. However, as JimmyK points out, your warranty can be voided by certain modifictions that you undertake. Technically, even changing pipes can void the warranty. Read it closely. That being said, most dealers will not give you a hard time for minor mods or mods they install. Stage I stuff usually doesn't cause any problem.

However, understand that if you have SERIOUS mods installed, and you break down miles from home, don't expect every dealer to honor that 7 year warranty. I've heard some riders say that their home dealer will honor their warranties even with cams installed. I've heard others say "no warranty" if cams installed. On the other hand, if ALL the recommended maintanance is performed in a timely manner, the chances of needed serious warranty work is pretty small.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Legally the dealer has to prove that any malfunction was caused either by lack or improper maintenance.
The problem is that most dealer service personnel (as opposed to dealers) will go to quite some lenght to avoid doing warranty work if at all possible, as long as they have customer pay work available. It is a little easier to get work done under an extended warranty, but not much.

The problem with the new EFI bikes is that sooner or later you will need the dealer for something, wether you have to pay for it or not, as there are virtually no independent shops with the information and equipment to work on some parts of these bikes.

No matter how you look at it, if you have to work for your money, you are between a rock and a hard place, unless you have a lot of time and want to argue all the time.

I know what the right answer is for me, but I don't know what it might be for you.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback...

Hippo,
I think you summed it up when you said:
"No matter how you look at it, if you have to work for your money, you are between a rock and a hard place, unless you have a lot of time and want to argue all the time.

I know what the right answer is for me, but I don't know what it might be for you."

I think I might just have H-D do the servicing, and see how that goes...I think that might minimize hassles should I need to use the warranty.

Mitch

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Warranty Discussion & the Law

We've had a lot of discussions about what voids a H/D warranty. As our esteemed members have noted above, the warranty isn't suppose to be affected unless the modified part is the cause. But what do we have to back up that reasonable position? Well, let me "paste" the law on the subject. Hope you don't have to cite this, but you may want to keep it handy, just in case.

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of this law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle makers brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name....” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

2. Clean Air Act Warranty Provisions (42 U.S.C. S 7541 (C) (3) (B))

The federal Clean Air Act requires vehicle makers to provide two emissions-related warranties -- a production warranty and a performance warranty. The production warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle is designed, built and equipped so that it conforms with emissions requirements at the time of sale. The performance warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle will comply with applicable emissions requirements as tested under state vehicle emissions inspection programs for the warranty periods specified in the law (for model year 1995 and later vehicles, the warranty is 2 years/24,000 miles for all emissions-related parts and 8 years/80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, electronic emissions control unit and on-board diagnostic device). The performance warranty is conditioned on the vehicle being properly maintained and operated.

Like the Magnuson-Moss Act, vehicle manufacturers may not refuse warranty repairs under the Clean Air Acts performance and defect warranties merely because aftermarket parts have been installed on the vehicle. The only circumstance under which the vehicle manufacturer can void the emissions warranties is if an aftermarket part is responsible for (causes) the warranty claim.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Thing is we don't live in a perfect world. You show that stuff to the guys at a Harley shop and they laugh you out of town.

I have seen this stuff for 30 years from both sides, and granted that I'm a professional asshole with a bad attitude, but when I was in business and someone approached me this way I always told them that my attorney's were better then theirs.

Trust me, it's much better to fly under their radar screens then argue with them. Smile a lot and play dumb. Less stress is good.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
I absolutely agree, Hippo. The best approach is to work things out with the H/D service dept. folks. Throwing "the law" in someone's face won't win friends and influence people. Massaging the situation is much more condusive to a positive long term relationship. Warranty work may be like a marriage--don't fight about stuff unnecessarily. But know your rights if you're going to have to get a divorce. ;)

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Sure, but you suck them in long enough while documenting every step that even a braindead jury will have to rule in your favor.:D :D

Once you have the goods you will not even need the jury or a lawyer for that matter, unless they are total dumbasses.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
The question is simple. Will doing your own scheduled Mx void your warranty.

The answer is just that simple and it is NO.

Buy yer oils from Harley and keep the recipts if you are concerned. They cannot deny ya did the Mx cause ya have the receipts.

Buy a Mx manual from the shop and follow it. Keep records and you will be fine.

It's Harley! Basic simple machine. It is not that fragile.

Let me ask y'all this. The changes are at 5,000 but the visuals are at 2500. Do you intend to pay them to LOOK at your bike as well? It is scheduled Mx right? Now, if you intend to pay them to change your oil to protect your warranty, then you must follow through and pay them to Look at yer bike every 2500. If not why not?

If you don't WANT to do the Mx that is fine. But don't get trapped into the "if they don't do it and something goes wrong syndrome." That is crap.

Read the terms of the warranty you bought. Hell you paid for it and apparantly don't know what you paid for. That is not smart.

I am sorry that I sound rather disturbed on the subject but I just don't understand why folks would pay for something that they do not KNOW what it is they are paying for. Go READ it and look at the terms and conditions. My bet is you don't know about the refund terms if you never use the warranty. This is important as well. IF you ever use the warranty with the $50 deductable you MUST weigh the cost of your loss of refund against the cost to repair. For instance, you are in year six and you have a covered repair that would cost $200 for you to do yourself OR $50 as a deductable under the warranty. Which would you choose? $200? WRONG! Now you lost your total refund of the unused warranty.

Come on folks, READ AND UNDERSTAND what you pay for with YOUR hard earned Money!

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
I've got burned on an extended warranty on a used car when I was in school. Paid $1000 for 3-year warranty. You guessed it, the only time something went wrong it wasn't covered.

All HD's come with a one year warranty. If something major is going to go wrong, it will become apparent in the first year, assuming you're riding it every freakin' chance you get:D

I would take the money for that extended warranty money and put it in the bank. If over the course of the next X years something goes wrong, pay for it out of that account.

If HIPPO is right that most dealers avoid doing warranty/extended warranty work, then it makes even less sense to go this route.

I'd be very surprised to learn that anyone "got their money's worth" from one of these warranties. Anyone?

wyodude

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Read my post again, it is not really the "dealers", but those paid on comission in dealer service departments. It is the system that has major flaws, more then anything else.
The few good techs are way underpaid and the cost of service is so high because service departments are bloated with unproductive positions.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Re-read and understood.

I still draw the same conclusion.

If the severice personnel eschew warranty work, for whatever reason, the customer suffers.

If service personnel prioritize paying customers over warranty customers then do not purchase the extended warranty. I appreciate that this may not be their choice, but the dealer's desire to keep new cash rolling in.

In the event that something goes wrong use these funds to get it fixed as a preferred cash paying customer.

Please spell it out for me if I'm still missing the point.:p

wyodude

1 - 14 of 14 Posts