V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you have DTT wego and SERT software do not have WEGO active when you try to flash your ecm with SERT. It will corrupt your ECM memory and require a dealer reflash to repair it. Don't ask how I know this.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I had the wego program minimized but active and I then tried to flash the ecm . It died with an error 1080. The VIN number showed OK but the cal. ID showed as a high order graphic set of characters. The classical "Garbage" I was unable to sucessfully flash it after this. The message said to take it to the dealer. $200 and a trip of 260 miles later all is well. Both programs use com1 , I think this is where the problem comes in. It's not the hardware interface. Just don't have the wego softeare active when you fire up the SERT softeare.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
52 Posts
Thanks for the info, appreciate the warning. I have the WEGO II, but I've just been using the AFR and not the software. I have a FXDI like yours. How did you hook up the tach and map sensors. I talked to the dealer but was only told about pins numbers without info about actually how to wire the complete WEGO. How did you do it? Thanks,
Cliff
 

·
Doing time, behind bars!
Joined
·
1,480 Posts
Thanks for bringing this topic up

Cliff said:
Thanks for the info, appreciate the warning. I have the WEGO II, but I've just been using the AFR and not the software. I have a FXDI like yours. How did you hook up the tach and map sensors. I talked to the dealer but was only told about pins numbers without info about actually how to wire the complete WEGO. How did you do it? Thanks,
Cliff
I haven't been to the DTT site http://www.daytona-sensors.com/ lately, but since you brought this subject up, I see they have a new tool out -Twin Scan 88+ http://www.daytona-sensors.com/Twin_Scan.html

This looks like the missing link for us guys that do not have a tuner / dyno available. I do have a SERT on the way; now it looks like I will have to spring for one of these, any suggestion for a supplier with a good price or did you buy direct?

As for your connections questions, I'm assuming that you have the same intructions supplied with the unit as are available here - http://www.daytona-sensors.com/tech_download.html
second link down, named "WEGO II Installation Instructions"

If you know the ECM pin numbers and have an electrical drawing, it should be fairly straight forward to make the connections.

Are you using the WEGO II to assist with SERT calibrations? I for one, sure would like to hear more about your experience with this unit.

Thanks, John
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
52 Posts
Wego Ii Con't

John, Yes, I have been using the WEGO II to tune my bike (2004 FXDI) with the SERT. This combination has worked really well in adjusting AFR on the cylinder with an 02 sensor (front, back or both measuring one at a time). The SERT instructions help you make adjustments w/o an AFR meter but you don't really know what's going on with air fuel mixtures w/o a meter, either on your bike or part of a dyno tune. Using a combination of SERT and AFR meter goes a long way in tuning your bike (meter doesn't help with timing adjustments). Once you get the SERT, read the manual multiple times, especially the parts on tuning w/o a dyno. Then follow the instructions, and if your have an AFR meter, you can tell if you are rich or lean at particular RPM's and throttle openings. Adjust the settings per SERT instructions (I like using the VE tables for each cylinder.)

I don't know that much about the TS 88+, but it looks like a scaled down version of the WEGO II. The SERT gives you error (trouble) codes. If you don't have an 02 sensor, the WEGO II includes that. If you don't want all the features of the WEGO II someone posted that there were still some original WEGO units available for a lower price. Bought my unit direct from DTT.

As to hooking up connections for tach, TPS and MAP, DTT told me that Tach signal is pin 3 and TPS is pin 24.(FXDI 2004) I did get the H-D Electrical Diagnostic Manual with the wiring diagrams but the problem I have had is in the practical hook up (finding pin 3, 24 and how to attach the wiring). It is very hard to get to the wiring behind the ECM and fuse box. It was a bear just to hook up a poitive wire which is ignition controlled. If anyone has had practical experience with hooking up these wires, any info or advice would be appreciated.

Cliff
 

·
05 FLHTCI
Joined
·
345 Posts
TS88 does not do AFR

I have both the WEGO and TS88. I spoke with Chris at DTT and suggested that the feature sets of the two products be combined and he did not think it was a good idea. The WEGOII is for AFR and the TS88 is for everything else, clearing codes, recording, etc.

David
 

·
Doing time, behind bars!
Joined
·
1,480 Posts
Check my Webshots pictures........

Cliff said:
John, Yes, I have been using the WEGO II to tune my bike (2004 FXDI) with the SERT. This combination has worked really well in adjusting AFR on the cylinder with an 02 sensor (front, back or both measuring one at a time). The SERT instructions help you make adjustments w/o an AFR meter but you don't really know what's going on with air fuel mixtures w/o a meter, either on your bike or part of a dyno tune. Using a combination of SERT and AFR meter goes a long way in tuning your bike (meter doesn't help with timing adjustments). Once you get the SERT, read the manual multiple times, especially the parts on tuning w/o a dyno. Then follow the instructions, and if your have an AFR meter, you can tell if you are rich or lean at particular RPM's and throttle openings. Adjust the settings per SERT instructions (I like using the VE tables for each cylinder.)

I don't know that much about the TS 88+, but it looks like a scaled down version of the WEGO II. The SERT gives you error (trouble) codes. If you don't have an 02 sensor, the WEGO II includes that. If you don't want all the features of the WEGO II someone posted that there were still some original WEGO units available for a lower price. Bought my unit direct from DTT.

As to hooking up connections for tach, TPS and MAP, DTT told me that Tach signal is pin 3 and TPS is pin 24.(FXDI 2004) I did get the H-D Electrical Diagnostic Manual with the wiring diagrams but the problem I have had is in the practical hook up (finding pin 3, 24 and how to attach the wiring). It is very hard to get to the wiring behind the ECM and fuse box. It was a bear just to hook up a positive wire which is ignition controlled. If anyone has had practical experience with hooking up these wires, any info or advice would be appreciated.

Cliff
Cliff,
Actually, I thought getting into the ECM was pretty easy. Check out the Electrical forum, I posted under the heading Dakota Digital about the tacho I just connected. Also, in the Dyna thread, there was recently discussion about the very same thing - I haven't got the link or time right now, but someone posted a link to a tutorial they posted on the web with extensve pictures.
You probably don't even have to get in that close to the pins; if the wiring is already there, you only need to tap into the correct color coded wire. My FXST didn't have an existing pin in hole #3 so I had to put one in there.
Thanks for the information on the tuning, looks like I need another Christmas in January :yikes:
John
 

·
Doing time, behind bars!
Joined
·
1,480 Posts
Checked the website again.........

BaggerDave said:
I have both the WEGO and TS88. I spoke with Chris at DTT and suggested that the feature sets of the two products be combined and he did not think it was a good idea. The WEGO II is for AFR and the TS88 is for everything else, clearing codes, recording, etc.

David
David,
I am referring to the NEW Twin Scan 88 PLUS here ------> http://www.daytona-sensors.com/Twin_Scan.html

The kit includes a WEGO II Wide-band Exhaust Gas Oxygen Sensor BUT without the display; it certainly can monitor AFR and record the same

Anyway, more information on the site than I can explain here, like

"Twin Scan Software
The Twin Scan software has four major functions: reading and clearing diagnostic trouble codes, displaying real time engine data, displaying logged data, and analyzing AFR data (applicable to Twin Scan 88+ only)"


Cheers M8, John
 

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
Joined
·
1,099 Posts
I also am using the New TwinScan 88+ with the wego to tune my SERT. It is a very slick set-up and very easy to use...much easier than the DTT TCFI II w/wego. It basically tells you what modifications to make to the SERT to correct the VE of each cylinder so that your AFR, MAP, ect. is accurate. Then you just plug in the AFR values you desire and presto...all done. This tuning method has my bike running flawless after the recent mods.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cliff,
I soldered directly to the emc connector (disconnected from the ecm) and used the supplied weatherproof connects at the other end. I used TPS and RPM power and ground. It is a slick setup. Worked great until I failed to cancel the wego program and tried to flash the ecm. My bike is running better and better after each flash.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top