V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WARNING FOR 1200 OWNERS

Latley there have been a lot of post on the sportster mail list about the left mirror stem snapping in half, this has caused some dented tank etc. It seems the vibration causes the left mirror to loosen and then the stem snaps in half. Simple fix is loctite your mirror nuts. This is not a guaranteed fix, but it cant hurt.

you can learn about the mail list at http://www.sportster.org/xl-list/

·
Registered
11 Posts
warning....

My left mirror head started loosening up....B4 I "bothered" to tighten it up a conscientious mechanic did it for me while he replaced the leaky rear rocker box gasket. I won't let it happen again...get loose, and stay that way...thanx for the tip! DFO:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have replaced 2 left mirrors on my 1200 C, both were tight at time they broke, vibs got them. ISO grips and a BAR SNAKE work fine for my hands but mirrors still have lots of vibs at @ 55-60 mph in 5th, vibs go away at 65-70 mph( you can even see out of them) I am going to change to the short XLH type the next time the left brakes...the MOCO made the last stem a bit fatter but I think it will still brake...

·
Registered
11 Posts
loose mirrors...

Good thing my Sporty spends lotsa time at 75-80, guess that should help keep the mirrors tight!!!! LOL............ DFO

·
Registered
3 Posts
From what I hear it mostly happens to the C models with the drag bars and longer stem mirrors. So far not a problem with my std model with buckhorns & short stem mirrors.
Bruce

·
Registered
16 Posts
eh , who need's mirror's any way . I only need to see ahead . I got one just to be legal & reduce the blue light's from showing up.

·
Registered
136 Posts
2002 XL1200 sure enough mine busted off.
Dang left mirror made a scratch on the tank .
luckly I buffed it out.
Wonder if Harley has fixed this problem with the 2003.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Got a 2003....noticed some serious vibration in the mirrors...but hey, it's a Harley. I plan on eventually changing out the mirrors so they aren't stem mirrors.

·
2003 1200 Custom S&B
37 Posts
My left mirror fell off yesterday on my way home from work, on my 2003 1200 custom. I had purchased a set of Kuryakyn Magnum long stemed mirrors and had the dealer but them on. Less than a month later and the stud that threads into the mirror broke off just below the mirror. Seeing that the dealer put them on and the stud broke and if was no fault of the mirror should the Mo Co pay for it? What do you guys think.

·
Registered
152 Posts
rluetgenau said:
My left mirror fell off yesterday on my way home from work, on my 2003 1200 custom. I had purchased a set of Kuryakyn Magnum long stemed mirrors and had the dealer but them on. Less than a month later and the stud that threads into the mirror broke off just below the mirror. Seeing that the dealer put them on and the stud broke and if was no fault of the mirror should the Mo Co pay for it? What do you guys think.
I don't see why you would expect the MoCo to be responsible for the Stealer installing wrong, Not only that they are not even Harley mirrors?

Jim

·
2003 1200 Custom S&B
37 Posts
Jim, from my understanding HD has had a lot of trouble with the sportsters left mirror breaking off at the same place mine did. My point is the mirror was not at fault but the shaft that holds the mirror on. It broke, nothing wrong with the mirror. The Mo Co or the stealer should pay for the mirror no matter what type of mirror it is because their shaft broke.

·
2003 1200 Custom S&B
37 Posts
Lightnin, I guess I am thick I don't get your meaning. The stems on the kuryakan are real substantial better than the stock mirrors. You indicate getting something that isn't a stem, can you elaborate. I paid $50 a piece for these mirrors. But the bottom line is it was not the mirrors but the shaft, or what ever they call it that runs up through the cluctch handle.

Richard

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Theres been a recall......

SafetyAlerts
March 26, 2003

Harley-Davidson Has Recalled the 2002 Harley 1200 Custom Sportster
(SafetyAlerts) - The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has released the following information.

Models: Harley 1200 Custom Sportster Year: 2002

Number Potentially Involved: 11,952

Dates of Manufacture: July 2001 - June 2002

Defect: On certain motorcycles, the mirror stem could fracture and the mirror could fall. The loss of rearward vision could result in a crash.

Remedy: Dealers will replace the mirrors. The manufacturer has reported that owner notification is expected to begin during March 2003. Owners may contact Harley-Davidson at
1-414-342-4580.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i had the long stem mirrors on my 97 1200c and they vibrated right good,i just changed over to the 2003 model short mirrors and it is a lot less if any vibration.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Replaced Before Recall

Hey All,

I'm ridin' down this road on my new 2002 XL-1200C (bought April 2002) way out in the country when, something strikes me on the leg. I go W.T.F. then notice that my left mirror is gone... Nice! Ok, I get to practice my U-turn skills drive back and pick up the snapped mirror.
I then drive to the HD dealer and buy a new set of mirrors. I use the stock dragbar with the long stem mirrors.
I did try a set of short stem cats eye mirrors but, I could not see around me, no matter where I set the mirrors I saw mostly my forearms.

And, then another time I'm ridin' down the road in the middle of nowhere when, Snap! the right mirror goes flyin'. More practice on U-turn skills. ;)

Both these mirror stem breaks happened in june/ july 2002. I just got the recall today 5/17/2003. It took HD almost a year to recall these mirrors. I'll bet that 95% of these defective mirrors have been replaced already. I see that a lot of people have changed the stock models to a custom style after the stock ones broke. If you replaced stock with stock you can get reimbursement from HD.
However if you replaced those stock mirrors with anything else your, S.O.L.

Ok, my replacements cost me $27.00 plus tax. so, like $29.00 and there are;

>>>"Number Potentially Involved: 11,952"<<
Times $29.00
Equals>>>> $ 346,608 for parts alone and, if you had your's replaced at an authorized HD/Buell Dealership you can also get reimbursed for the Labor Costs. As long as you saved those receipt's. ( start looking )

So, at the dealership, I bet they billed at least an hour to replace these mirrors. Since, nothing at the dealership takes less than, an hour. lol
Times>>>Blank
Equals>>>>
No wonder HD didn't want to deal with this problem for almost a year. It's costing them $$$$$.

Good Luck, Hope ya' find those receipt's or your S.O.L. Kjoe

1 - 20 of 38 Posts