V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this thing for great American roads. Little back roads, tree lined country roads, one lane river crossings, old abandoned highways, leaky tunnels through solid rock, rickety wooden bridges, metal railroad trestle bridges. Sun-bleached, sometimes broken, always rusted but not forgotten. Call it Asphalt Americana. I seek them out, ride them and turn around and ride them again in the opposite direction. If I got the camera I stop and snap a few pics. I guess it's weird. Kinda nostalgic. Maybe 'cause I was not riding in the old motorcycle heydays of the 50's and 60's when a lot of these types of roads were laid down. I am interested in any pictures you'all might have from your archives, pictures you've taken, of these kinds of things.

Here's a couple from my archive. The first two are from the northern end of Skyline Drive in Virginia. The last two are from an old closed train trestle near my house. Anyone got some more to reminisce on?

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
You and me both. Great pics there HD.

My first one is in a part of the Blue Mounds west of Madison with little tiny roads where you don't see anyone else except for the occasional farmer. Lots of gravel and wildlife out there.

The second is from Madeline Island In the very northern part of WI in lake Superior. You have to take a ferry across to it. My new avatar was taken from that ferry.

The last was from the Chequomegan-Nicolet forest in norther WI. I found this fantastic road there. The kind that has an absolutly flawless road surface and no gravel and no other people. In other words, the perfect road. We saw 5 black bears up there Memorial weekend!

I had a lot more photos but I lost most when my computer crashed.
Sorry but the quality of these photos isn't very good.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Yea, I dig that kinda stuff too.
Here's a couple taken during one of my many trips down the Blue Ridge Parkway.

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh man these are some great pics you'all. The little rock tunnel, the sunsets, those little country roads, that exactly what I can't get enough of. Wish I was out ridin' them all right now. Keep 'em coming.

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dudes, you could take any one of these and make a Harley add. I mean something like this ...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Ha! That's my brother, I didn't know if he would appreciate being published so I offed his head. Didn't think anyone would notice!

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lemme guess, his name is Edward Mann. Middle name Lester right? But you'all just call him Ed Les Mann. Ba-DUMB-dum!

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
HD-LUX said:
Lemme guess, his name is Edward Mann. Middle name Lester right? But you'all just call him Ed Les Mann. Ba-DUMB-dum!

BOOOOOO!

:clap:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Beautiful pictures all. Can someone explain to me how to post a picture like ;you guys did. All I can manange is the attached thumnail. Thanks in advance.{salute(

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
US 395 Southbound just North of Lakeview,Oregon

US 395 Southbound, North of John Day,Oregon

Hiway 50 Neveda Eastbound from Fallon to Austin.

Yaquina Bay Bridge,PCH 101 Newport,Oregon

Blue Mountain scenic byway in Central Oregon.

Mt.Ranier from US 12 in Washington.

The Hood River bridge accross the Columbia River as seen from Washington SR 14 with Oregon's Mt.Hood in the backround.

Utah 95 near Fry Canyon in Southern Utah

Going to the sun road Glaicer Nat.Park Montana.

PHC 101 from Oswald West St.Park Oregon's North Coast

Cascade Lakes Hiway in Central Oregon.

US95 South of Tonopah,Neveda

PCH 101 Oregon's South Coast.

Rt.66 Seligman,Arizona.

Rt.66 Oatman,Arizona.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
US 89A Northern Arizona.

Arches Nat.Park near Moab,Utah.

Utah 25

Washington Cascades

Mt.Ranier US 12

Mt.St.Helens USFS 25

Mt.Adams SR142 between Kiclkitat and Goldendale.

Three sisters mountains,Cascade range US 20 near Sisters ,Oregon

John Day Fossil Beds Nat. Monument near Fossil,Oregon.

Virgina City,Neveda

US50 Lake Tahoe,Neveda

PHC 101 sunset Southern Oregon Coast.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
LTROADGLIDE said:
Beautiful pictures all. Can someone explain to me how to post a picture like ;you guys did. All I can manange is the attached thumnail. Thanks in advance.{salute(
I use a hosting service like Photobucket or Imageshack

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
awesome pictures :thanks:

1 - 20 of 160 Posts