V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals,

A long time ago I asked this forum if anyone had or knew someone who had a Harley for sale.
Since I didn't had any aswer, I'm asking again ;)

Actually, I'm looking for any king of Harley in any condition as long as I can ride it for three month next year.

If you have one, or know where I can call, look, or whatever, please contact me.

Thanks for helping me!

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
$4K won't buy a H/D

There was a reason no one responded to your inquiry about buying a H/D for $4K. You can't!!!! Yeah, you may be able to find a really old and ratty Sportster for that price. But there's no guarantee that you'll be able to ride the bike long and certainly not daily for 4 months.

There are several shops where you can lease or rent a bike by the day or week. You're not going to be able to do that for a 4 month period. Unless you are very, very rich!!!

If you really want to ride a bike for 4 months, I suggest that you just plan to fork out the bucks for a Big Twin (new or used), ride the heck out of it and sell it private party in 4 months. If a H/D dealer is not involved in the arrangement, you may not lose $4K in the process. Just a thought.

Another thought, if you are planning to just "ride" the bike, there are many, many metric bikes available for very reasonable prices. Buy one of those for cash and ride it for the 4 months and then sell it. You could occasionally "rent" a Harley for a day or week (so you could have the H/D experience) or so at a time and still keep your budget below $4K.

·
Registered
268 Posts
A friend of mine has an old 83 Sportster that he has been thinking about selling. Its probably in the $4000 range if he is gonna sell it. I know it runs decent I just went on a 150 mi ride with him last weekend, and no problems. I'll check with him and let you know if he did decide to sell it.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
My opinion....you don't want a $4000 harley any more than i want to smoke a 75 cent cigar. If I only had $4000, I'd look at a early 90's Honda 750 highthawk.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I have a friend here in Houston that has a 1994 Sportster. Not sure if its an 883 or 1200 (I think 1200). She (that's right...SHE) has owned the bike for many years and ridden it daily. She just purchased a Fat Boy and is trying to sell her Sportster. I asked her this weekend if she still had it, and she says she does. It has been converted to chain drive. Runs good and is dependable. She was asking $5000 (I think) and would probably take $4500 to get rid of it. She needs the cash BAD to pay for her new Fat Boy. Email me and we can discuss this further and get y'all in touch.
Kent Sims
[email protected]
[email protected]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let me explain!

OK guys, I know riding a $4000 Harley would sure be tough, but let me explain: I come from Switzerland and I already own a 2001 FLSTH Fat Boy that is going great.
The purpose of finding an old and ratty bike is that I plan on going to the US next year to party a lot (and not taking to munch care for the bike). So, if I buy one that is worth more that $4k I might not be able to re-sell it and would loose more than $4k!
In the other hand, if I break something in that ratty bike and I can still ride, I don't care!
And you folks that own Harley's, understand why I don't want ***'s…?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Re: Let me explain!

masyva said:
OK guys, I know riding a $4000 Harley would sure be tough, but let me explain: I come from Switzerland and I already own a 2001 FLSTH Fat Boy that is going great.
The purpose of finding an old and ratty bike is that I plan on going to the US next year to party a lot (and not taking to munch care for the bike). So, if I buy one that is worth more that $4k I might not be able to re-sell it and would loose more than $4k!
In the other hand, if I break something in that ratty bike and I can still ride, I don't care!
And you folks that own Harley's, understand why I don't want ***'s…?

Oh I get it now. We are talking Zippos and you are thinking Bic, right?

·
Banned
316 Posts
logical said:
My opinion....you don't want a $4000 harley any more than i want to smoke a 75 cent cigar. If I only had $4000, I'd look at a early 90's Honda 750 highthawk.
Thats not necessarily true, if you know who you're buyin from. I got my '82 sporty for $3000.00 ,7 years ago, from a bud that was down on his luck, and have put very little into the engine or driveline. Only real $$ I've put in is on chrome and customizing. Its very reliable and looks good to boot. So you can get one for 4k. ya just gotta know who to buy from.

·
Registered
94 Posts
In addition to the suggestions already posted.

If you already haven't, try www.cycletrader.com search on harley's with a price range from $1 to whatever you want to spend. You might find something, maybe even located near where you are arriving in the US.

You could also try eBay.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would like to thanks nlallas, that's exactly what I was looking for.

For all those guys who thought that buying à $4k Harley was impossible, why don't you get a look there. I know, a cheap bike is not worth a brand new bike with a lot of chrome and accessories, but it's a bike!

See yall next year for the 100th!

·
Registered
48 Posts
this may help, in the local rag this week. " '87 Harley Davidson Sportster, low miles, new tires, brakes, rotors, chain & battery, $3,500 OBO. (808) 879-7648"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, I don't know about that. I think a person can find a Harley in good to excellent condition for under $4000. I currently own two Harleys that cost me under $4000 each. I paid $2500 for a 75 sportster that only needs the wiring redone for the controls. My other Harley cost me $3200. It is a 75 Sportster with a rigid frame. The bike was repainted, extended and completely redone. I found it by asking everyone I know that I was looking for one. My friend Pete has $5200 invested in a 2001 Softtail. He started by buying a rolling frame off an individual who gave up on it. He got lucky at some swaps and picked up the rest of the parts for under $3000. He's got the biggest engine offered by Harley for the Softtail. It comes with regency stretch tanks. So $4000 for a Harley isn't so far fletched.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts