V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to go a little lower than the 12 inch progressive suspesion rear shocks. Has anyone tried 11.5 inch on the 2003 Wide Glide? I would also like to raise the handlebars a bit. Does anyone know how much higher I can go without changing the stock cables?

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I just put 12.5" Wild 1 chubby ape hangers on my Wide Glide. These are 3" taller than stock and a few inches wider. In a few weeks I'm going to put on braided stainless cables that are all 4 inches longer, but for now the stock cable lengths are working. The stock throttle and clutch cables worked out fine, but the front brake line had to be straightened. It wasn't much trouble, just carefully unbend the curves in the rigid line sections. I have the rearend lowered with Harley shocks off a Lowrider that I found on ebay. They are 12 inches long rather than the stock length of 12 5/8 inches. These lowered the back tip of my rear fender by exactly one inch. If I ride two up I have to stiffen the preload setting, but have no problems bottoming out. Be careful of going any lower on an 02-03 model. The wider fender that accomodates the 150 tire will hit the rear brake caliper on the right side and the belt guard on the left side if you don't trim the fender and go with 11 inch shocks. 11.5 inch might work, maybe someone else can post their experience.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
They work fine with stock risers. The bars are 1 1/4 inches but taper to 1 inch at the risers and grips. They are also drilled for running wiring internally. I got them through www.directparts.com for a little cheaper than the manufacturer wild 1. But their site is good to check out for the pictures of all the bars on different bikes and the measurements. www.wild1inc.com

·
Registered
13 Posts
Apes

I also put wild1 chubby's on my '00 FXDWG but mine are the 16 inch. I had to go with the longest 40 inch elect. wires made and still had to add wire in a staggered fashion. all other cables also had to be replaced.

Have you installed new shocks yet? I also want to go lower but not sure if I should go with the 11", 11.5", or 12". I'm also considering chrome covered low profile shocks which limit my options. I want to go as low as I can without rubbing or bottoming out.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
lower the FXDWG to 11"shock

I lowered my FXDWG 03 to an 11"with no problems, didnt trim the finder or anything, the only thing that i need to do is put a shorter kickstand on. I love my progressive 412 10" shocks, it did make a stiffer ride. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts