V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a 2003 Deuce and want to change the rear shocks. Have followed all the threads. I am 230lbs and ride 1 up all of the time. Most extra luggage might be a 15lb bag of clothes. I like to lower the bike 2 inches for the look. It seems like most riders frown on Air Suspension but I am willing to try it if somebody knows a good system. How about Progressive 413's? Any feedback appreciated guys. Thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DR_DEUCE said:
WWW.PLATINUMAIRSUSPENSION.COM My bike and 2 buddies run these. they are the best for ride height control, plus the ride quality control. My Deuce rides better than my Road King.
Thanks Good Doctor....I have been looking at these seriously. Any ideas on where the best price is for the Bleed/Feed system?
Thanks for the Reply.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Dr. Deuce is the man!

My Deuce rides unbelievable with
this air ride. 100% adjustable for firmness
& height. Soooooooo much better than
stock. Slamit for show. Raise it for GO
Firmit for 2 up.
I can ride twice as long. Removes all
the soft tail jouncing. Really surprised
Harley doesn't offer as an option.
( not affillated at all ):woohoo:

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Ohlins alternative

Oehlins now makes excellent adjustable shocks for Softails. With some luck you can scoop up a NIB set from ebay for around $650. I would look seriously at them as they are fully adjustable (damping control, height, preload)

http://www.ohlins.com/cgi-bin/dbsok/newsearch.pl?category=mc

Couldn't find them on this side of the pond for less than $1000, so I went with AirTails...........They are good too

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Vienna Hog,
Thanks for the tip, there is a set listed there for $600 now; they say retail is $1,490 !! They must be darn good shocks.
Regards, John

·
Registered
63 Posts
ViennaHog said:
Oehlins now makes excellent adjustable shocks for Softails. With some luck you can scoop up a NIB set from ebay for around $650. I would look seriously at them as they are fully adjustable (damping control, height, preload)

http://www.ohlins.com/cgi-bin/dbsok/newsearch.pl?category=mc

Couldn't find them on this side of the pond for less than $1000, so I went with AirTails...........They are good too
Do you think that the Ohlins shocks are comparable to any of the Air Ride shocks? I'm sure that they are night and day over the stock shocks, but there is no way they are as nice as Air Ride. The big advantage of Air ride is when you park your bike you can slam it down to the ground to give it that smooth look, but when you put the key in jack it up for a nice comfy ride. I guess the hand off between the two is the price. If you had to pay full retail for the Ohlins then It would be a no brainer to go with an air setup. I'm seriously thinking about the Ohlins my self, I think they are a big notch over the progressive, but if i'm going to spend $650 from ebay am I better off to save a few extra $$$ and wait for the air ride???

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Holeshot said:
Do you think that the Ohlins shocks are comparable to any of the Air Ride shocks? I'm sure that they are night and day over the stock shocks, but there is no way they are as nice as Air Ride. The big advantage of Air ride is when you park your bike you can slam it down to the ground to give it that smooth look, but when you put the key in jack it up for a nice comfy ride. I guess the hand off between the two is the price. If you had to pay full retail for the Ohlins then It would be a no brainer to go with an air setup. I'm seriously thinking about the Ohlins my self, I think they are a big notch over the progressive, but if i'm going to spend $650 from ebay am I better off to save a few extra $$$ and wait for the air ride???
The Oehlins shocks focus on improved road holding and ride quality. The damping control helps to adjust to the riding style and road surfaces. In the 'show off ' area they can't even get close to Air Tails or Legends for sure. I have the AirTAils myself and I am happy with them even though I don't really trust the thin plastic hoses as they are fully pressurized and when they fail, the ride height and bottoming control is gone too as the suspension pretty much collapses. You have to very careful not to nick them during installation and you better make sure that they are protected from heat or moving parts.
So you pick.......

Edit: I do not use the compressor, too much stuff that can fail and more weight. Good old hand pump is just fine for me

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I pretty much convinced that asking most Harley riders what shocks handle and perform good is like asking your dentist what to do about your hemmorhoids.

If you want to know what shocks work great riding with a 209lb. biker chick on the back and both bags filled with bud cans, taking the 5 down to LA, well, that's a different story.

You'll really need to find a shop that does performance suspension work and knows Harleys... good luck, I haven't found one yet, but have been laughed at a few times.

Ohlins shocks would probably be the best around... they are for most street bikes in most cases.

·
Registered
63 Posts
ViennaHog said:
The Oehlins shocks focus on improved road holding and ride quality. The damping control helps to adjust to the riding style and road surfaces. In the 'show off ' area they can't even get close to Air Tails or Legends for sure. I have the AirTAils myself and I am happy with them even though I don't really trust the thin plastic hoses as they are fully pressurized and when they fail, the ride height and bottoming control is gone too as the suspension pretty much collapses. You have to very careful not to nick them during installation and you better make sure that they are protected from heat or moving parts.
So you pick.......

Edit: I do not use the compressor, too much stuff that can fail and more weight. Good old hand pump is just fine for me

So how is the ride quality of your airtail shocks? Would you compare to the quility of legends. I guess in the cost department the airtail is the way to go price wise, but I still think the compressor is a must. It's not like your going to ride around with the hand pump. If I go with an air system I want to be able to pull into a parking lot and slam it! When I leave I want to be able to lift it quickly so I don't have to ride on the rubber bumpers the whole way home. I'm wondering how the airtail system minus the compressor rides compared to the Ohlins, or the Progressive 413 series. Although anything has to be better then the stock... Especially my stock. I have a White Bros. adjustable kit and have it pretty much as low as it will go...

Also with all of this talk about rear setups, what about the forks? I have a white bros. lowering kit in the front with heavy oil. Has anyone on here done anything to inprove the front end of these bikes. I would think ride quality and handling are more the a good front end or a good rear end, the "package" needs to be good one compliments the other. ~!Awesome!

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Holeshot said:
So how is the ride quality of your airtail shocks? Would you compare to the quility of legends. I guess in the cost department the airtail is the way to go price wise, but I still think the compressor is a must. It's not like your going to ride around with the hand pump. If I go with an air system I want to be able to pull into a parking lot and slam it! When I leave I want to be able to lift it quickly so I don't have to ride on the rubber bumpers the whole way home. I'm wondering how the airtail system minus the compressor rides compared to the Ohlins, or the Progressive 413 series. Although anything has to be better then the stock... Especially my stock. I have a White Bros. adjustable kit and have it pretty much as low as it will go...

Also with all of this talk about rear setups, what about the forks? I have a white bros. lowering kit in the front with heavy oil. Has anyone on here done anything to inprove the front end of these bikes. I would think ride quality and handling are more the a good front end or a good rear end, the "package" needs to be good one compliments the other. ~!Awesome!
As I said, in the show off department AirTails and Legends etc. are hard to beat. My decision to go with the AirTails was driven by adjustability for 2up riding, in particular bottoming out control and to a lesser degree by price. The lowering capabilities are irrelevant to me, my bike is used as a semi-tourer with windshield, hard saddle bags and a sundowner seat. Front fork is equipped with PGs spring kit for ride comfort and weight 20 fork oil to increase damping. Works very well together with the AirTails.
I had the 413s before and they were too soft and bottomed out frequently when the bike was loaded. In long sweeping turns they did not instill confidence as the AirTail do. For 2 up riding I set the bottoming control chamber to 130 psi and the level chamber to 10 psi to maintain stock ride height. The high pressure pump is very small and adjusting the pressure when needed (rarely) is a breeze. Ride is stiff 1up with this setting, but OK.
As to the Oehlins, I have no direct experience on a HD, but since they are available with different spring rates, I am confident that you can adjust them to your preferences.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Best Shocks

Well down here in the "real deep South" Australia we have some terrible roads and the One Shock that really works and have done forever are Fornales. Air and oil mixed and totally rebuildable they last forever. adjustable for height and load.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can someone who rides AirTails now and dont have the compressor explain how the manual pump works??

Can you explain the whole system in General?? The way I read it, it looks like even if the system were to break, you would have plenty of ride height to get home. Is this true??

I am looking to get these for my Fatboy

Are they reliable? Comfortable?

I ride alot and 2up also for longer trips...I wont to make sure I have something reliable because I would hate for something like this to cause my trip to end quickly

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Check their website under the 'literature' tab, you'll find installation instruction that give you some answers. As to the ride height, without air in the height control chamber the bike sits at the lowest position. With no air in both cylinders, I don't think it's rideable 2 up for more than a few miles to the next garage.
But I have not heard of any failures other than slow leaks (like mine) than occur around the manifold. For the manual system you need a high pressure pump with an car type valve. Mountain bikes use them too.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
btmagician13 said:
Does it not come with a manual pump??? I thought someone said it was small

Are you able to carry it with you??
You have to buy it separately, air suspension pump for a mountain bike is the similar, mind you, you''l need 150 psi . Make sure that it features auto style valves. My pump is about 8" long and 2 " wide (at the handle)

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
btmagician13 said:
So I just need to go to a bike shop for that???

How long does it take to get it to 150 psi with the hand pump???
About 60 sec for the bottoming out chamber, about 20s for the height control if you have the stroking motion down.:spank:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts