V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to build a 117" (currently have a 111/117 103" in a 620# T Sport...) and pose this: Should I start with a newer EFI bike or look for a seasoned carbed '02 (for the timkin and carb for tuning ease)? Will I have to use aftermarket heads to get the best torque??? Will probably be a Road King; for two-up use. I'm thinking 117 because I like the 4.375 SE crank and want to go no more than 4.125 bore jugs on the stock cases.

·
wanderer
172 Posts
give ron or chaz a call at axtell sales-they built my 117, and i couldnt be happier

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
117"

We have done 'em, that are currently running 140 plus ft/lbs @ 3300 rpms, with 115-117 hp with a Bob Wood TW-6-6 bolt in cam, saving the expense of good roller rockers(not the Chinese ones that fail), expensive valve springs, and the need to correct the geometry in the valve train for high-lift cams. Much more hp on tap if heads, cams were re-configured for the higher hp want/need.
117" is a great platform for either a bagger or Dyna. Great dollar value for what the outcome is.
Scott

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
I have a 06 FLHX with a 117" it makes 126 TQ at 2500 all the way to 4500 rpm and a 120hp. I wanted a very reliable valve train and a ton of bottom end, I make peak torque where I ride the bike the most 2500-4500 rpm. I could make more TQ and HP with a cam change but in turn would move the curve up and out where I ride it. I would post my dyno sheet but it needs to be resized and I can't quite figure that out LOLOL I built this motor and have 5000 miles on it but I can't resize a dyno sheet !!!!!!!!! This bike is a blast to ride and super throttle response.

S&S Case
S/E crank
TW8 cams
Fueling Pump
Axtell Cylinders
Baisley Heads
48mm Mikuni
Fat Cat

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Cams

Jshuster said:
I have a 06 FLHX with a 117" it makes 126 TQ at 2500 all the way to 4500 rpm and a 120hp. I wanted a very reliable valve train and a ton of bottom end, I make peak torque where I ride the bike the most 2500-4500 rpm. I could make more TQ and HP with a cam change but in turn would move the curve up and out where I ride it. I would post my dyno sheet but it needs to be resized and I can't quite figure that out LOLOL I built this motor and have 5000 miles on it but I can't resize a dyno sheet !!!!!!!!! This bike is a blast to ride and super throttle response.

S&S Case
S/E crank
TW8 cams
Fueling Pump
Axtell Cylinders
Baisley Heads
48mm Mikuni
Fat Cat
Those #8 cams work good don't they?

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
The 117 is a great set up, we just did a few builds up in your neck of the woods. I would keep it basic, do the upgrades you need to keep it simple.

Since you have the cases apart balance, true,pro plug your current crank. Add the timken as well, bolt on the new cylinders. A 117 that is built correctly will be one fun scooter. We use either a set of Axtell cylinders , or pure Ductile. Cost is about the same for either kit.

I think you would enjoy the broader tq curve from a 117.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Jshuster said:

S&S Case
S/E crank
TW8 cams
Fueling Pump
Axtell Cylinders
Baisley Heads
48mm Mikuni
Fat Cat

Nice build!
Did you use the cast SE or forged SE crank?
Thanks!

·
wanderer
172 Posts
i had the screamin eagle 4 3/8- forged- it had about 25,000 miles on it when we sent it to hoban to be balanced, and it really runs smooth now. not that i thought it was bad before, it's just better.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Two questions:
Would the SE103 heads be any good as a basis for this build?
Could I get as much horsepower from an EFI bike if I can't find a carb one?

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
The 103 heads are not the best to start with really, they need welding to really get them to work well, the valves are on the big side and the chambers are very large. IF you own them I would work them over if you want the best head for the money i would use a set of R&R cast heads and go from there. I would also lean towards the 615 cam over the tw8 as well. You will find that the 615 will make more power, build faster and be an extremely quiet cam.

The 117 with a set of cast heads and the 615 would be a power house that would run very well in a bagger. Hope that is of some help

OHH I have a set of take out tw8g for sale, if you decide you want them. Customer went to a set of 615 instead.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts