V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few night ago, we had lurkers snooping aound our house about 2 am in the morning. Scared my mother to death. They came barreling down the driveway as soon as she turned the light on to let the dog out. Couldn't see what kind of car it was. Next day, we found a dime size whole in our trailer. This trailer holds upto 5 bikes and it does have Harley-Davidson on the side. They must of thought our bikes were in there. Luckily we kept them in the garage. Now we need to do some security measures, so this won't happen again. Sad to say your personal property isn't even safe at your own home.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Can ya kep the Dogs out?

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think my dog would do much good. She is part poodle and part yorkie. Only weighs 15 lbs. The only thing she is good at is being alert. She did bark when the lurkers were there, but mom thought she had to go out. We live out in the boonies, so we don't expect any trouble. Boy are we wrong.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Sis you be careful. I hear you and I hear your Mom. No man in the house? That is ok but you should either have a good man or a good Dog, ( See how interchangeable we are? )

If ya have a gun, pump some lead into the car next time it comes on your property. POST SIGNS!

·
Banned
5,863 Posts
ftby24 said:
I don't think my dog would do much good. She is part poodle and part yorkie. Only weighs 15 lbs. The only thing she is good at is being alert. She did bark when the lurkers were there, but mom thought she had to go out.

Sounds like the dog did great. She alerted you in time and saved the bikes. Give her a treat and a pat on the head. She's a hero.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Best way to secure an enclosed trailer is to park it where the doors are blocked.
Sure it's a hassle, but at least if you make it difficult thieves are not as likely to waste their time.
Same with hauling bikes in the back of truck.
Park where they can't get the tail gate down if possible.

·
Registered
414 Posts
You live out in the boonies? Sounds too simple.
Shoot 'em, bury 'em 'out back'!
No more problem.

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JimmyK said:
Sis you be careful. I hear you and I hear your Mom. No man in the house? That is ok but you should either have a good man or a good Dog, ( See how interchangeable we are? )

If ya have a gun, pump some lead into the car next time it comes on your property. POST SIGNS!
thanks for your concern, my dad was sound asleep. It all happened very fast. The gun situation has come up and if mom has anything to say about it she will have one. It is pretty sad it has to come to this.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Something similar happened to my brothers '59 Sportster years ago.He stored it in the garage at our family home,woke up one morning & it was halfway out the side entrance door! Don't know if they lost their nerve or were scared off by one of my Mothers frequent trips to the bathroom.And my Dad was a cop! We had an idea who it may have been,but of course we had no evidence.

Cases like this are usually friends of friends,or the secretary of your cousins girlfriend,etc.

Ftby24,JimmyK & Jams have given some great suggestions,do whatever you have to do to take care of yourself & your family!!
Good Luck!
guido

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
I am all for gun ownership and protecting yourself, if you decide to go that route make sure all involved get proper instruction on safe and proficient handling of a gun. And your dog did its job "good dog". Glad you're okay, might look into lighting motion sensors also. Lock the trailer so they can't drive off with it either (even if its empty).

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
ftby24 said:
F This trailer holds upto 5 bikes and it does have Harley-Davidson on the side.
If you adverties, they will come. Not that I have ANYTHING against guns but, they come with much responsibility. You wouldn’t want yer Mom responsible for blowing away some dumb ass kid who wondered in yer yard after his dog in the dark or something. I would say to light the place up wit some motion sensor lights, maybe an alarm, a bigger dog. It sounds like yer would be burglars are not that bright. Bring a car to steal bikes, not make sure your not home, and not just take the dam trailer. On the other hand, I myself might take a diff route.;) :mad:

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Put a trailer ball in the trailer coupler. At least that way the [email protected] will have to work for it. I had my kids dirt bike taken right out of my back yard. I too live in the boonies.

·
Registered
679 Posts
You might want to think about getting rid of or hiding the fact that you have the words Harley Davidson on the side. Why invite these scum?

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Re: trailer

mancini said:
yeah, paint HONDA on the side ..lmao!!

sorry...hadda say it.....
All joking aside tho ........ I would SERIOUSLY consider plain white paint on the trailer. Repainting is a lot less hassel than replacing a few bikes.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Habenero Kid

In a way I agree, but then the bad guys win if we can't run what ever kind of decals we want on a enclosed trailer or back window of pick up trucks.

Had my garage broke into a couple of years ago, it is right out by the street and people drive by all the time peeping inside.

The choice was to either work inside with the door closed or take enough security measures to make things more secure.
Plus add some tricks that will keep anyone from ever walking off with my stuff---ok, they may crawl off. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Motion sensor lights, dead bolts, pin down gargage doors with windows. This is a biggie - lock your bike up in your garage like it was on the street. How many times have you seen your buddies get on their bikes in their garages and just turn the key on? Last of all, make sure you have good insurance and documentation of what you own.

·
Registered
81 Posts
habenaro, i agree with a plain old trailer, no markings

and jams i agree with ya too, but if they GET the bike, they have won also AND they have the bike.

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Re: Habenero Kid

Jams said:
In a way I agree, but then the bad guys win if we can't run what ever kind of decals we want on a enclosed trailer or back window of pick up trucks.

While this is true. Today is NOT like it was when we were growing up. I need to do whatever it takes to protect me and mine. If that means no HD logo on my bike cover so be it .... and if I were to get a trailer...(I won't I ride too much) it'll be a plain jane deal. All I'm really saying here is *IF* someone wants yer sheit, make it difficult for them to see it or get it. I love my bike and the people that know I ride, know that. No need to tell the world. Just my opinion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts