V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
forums. Are any of you into older VW Beetles? I did a quick search and didn't come up with any good forums. I was wondering if any of you were into them and had a lead on a good forum.

Bob

·
Banned
3,710 Posts
Back in the day

69 hitchhiking to Iowa city,busted in Elkhart In. had two nice rides. #1 carmenghia #2 VW bus

oh wait, they ain't Beetles. never mind

YankeeBob said:
forums. Are any of you into older VW Beetles? I did a quick search and didn't come up with any good forums. I was wondering if any of you were into them and had a lead on a good forum.

Bob

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
not "into" them, just the memories. I graduated high school in '66 and they were quite popular.

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
I can't help with info on forums for older VW Beetles, but the thread made me think back fondly about my first car — got it as a junior in high school — a 1958 VW bug. I loved that car! It had a ton of miles on it when I bought it, and I drove it all over California and never had a lick of trouble with it. It had a 36-horsepower engine, no seat belts and no gas gauge. When you ran out of gas, you kicked over a lever on the floorboard and you were good to go for another 30 miles. You had to be patient going up hills, but it always got you where you were going and I could tune it up myself. I wish I still had that car. Good luck finding a forum, YankeeBob.

·
Administrator
11,239 Posts
A friend in high school had one that we put back together with aluminum foil and bondo. The passengers side floor was rusted bad the seat was about ready to fall out the bottom. The thing was a death trap. When it was finally time to put it to rust forever, we drained all the oil out of it and started it up. We revved it up a few times and it kept on running like nothing was wrong. So we put a brick on the gas pedal and it sat at about 5500 rpm's. We were just waiting for it to blow. 5 minutes went by and it held strong at 5500 rpm's. Never sputtered or missed a beat. We were set on blowing that engine and just left it running with no oil and full throttle. Had to 15 or 20 minutes into it before we got bored with it and pulled the brick off the pedal. The engine came down to an idle and was purring. We shut it off and my friend listed it in the classifieds section of the local paper and some kid came an bought it. We saw it driving around town a few times after that.

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
This is too funny. My mom just got her a 2002 Beetle on Saturday. We both drove to Michigan to get it....glad we did. the car runs like a beetle, only the newer version. Cool car. :D

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Several years ago I restored several 69-74 Beetles. One was a convertible.

I built a Porsche Speedster, 356 replica on a 69 VW platform.

Pictures here.
http://home.fuse.net/pvee/Mycars.html

I built the motor from parts I bought at Larry's off road in Dayton, Oh.

There is a couple VW Magazines, VW Trends being one of them.
KitCar Magazines often have articles on VW's and VW Engine builders etc.
Look for KITcar forums...

·
Banned
3,710 Posts
whats a Porsche/Porsha

Great pics VIP, I had afriend with a early 60's porshe. We would speed all over

NYC, getting stoned outa r heads. Before and after he went to viet nam.

Somtimes our other friend would tell him faster, faster. I'd be sayin slow down:wacko: He'd like to demonstrate how good you can accelarate in a tight turn. great car and you know that!

VIP said:
Several years ago I restored several 69-74 Beetles. One was a convertible.

I built a Porsche Speedster, 356 replica on a 69 VW platform.

Pictures here.
http://home.fuse.net/pvee/Mycars.html

I built the motor from parts I bought at Larry's off road in Dayton, Oh.

There is a couple VW Magazines, VW Trends being one of them.
KitCar Magazines often have articles on VW's and VW Engine builders etc.
Look for KITcar forums...

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
First Car '59 Bug

I beat the sh1t out of mine. 17 years old and no fear. Off road, freeway, sidewalk etc. We found an old (abandoned) military tank test track in Renton, Wa. 'bout a mile west of where Jimi Hendricks is burried. Used to go out there and run a few laps. Even 36 HP can be fun! Always had to off road it to get into the place as the county kept digging trenches trying to keep us out. It's a land fill now. Anyway I rolled the car there late one Friday night. It went 1 3/4 times over. We just pushed it back on it's wheels and drove back home to West Seattle. Boy my ol man was PISSED OFF when he saw it!

·
Premium Member
733 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
All kinds of Beetles still running around down here.
Guess that's because they only stopped making them here 2-3 years ago.

PM me if you need a specific part that you can't find in the States. They sell taillights down here in the supermarkets. No kidding.

Ride Safe,:wavey:
Vettster

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Don't know vee-dub forums. The first new car I ever bought was a 1973 Super Beetle. Man, I loved that car. Cars have come and gone over the years, but the only one that I still have dreams about is the VW.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Captain Bligh said:
.....The first new car I ever bought was a 1973 Super Beetle. Man, I loved that car. Cars have come and gone over the years, but the only one that I still have dreams about is the VW.
My first car was a '66 Beetle - Last year of the 6 volt. I lust over the new Beetles. I dunno what it is about those cars, but I just love 'em.

T. Mealer
Flowerfield, IL

·
Lazy 98
355 Posts
YankeeBob said:

Bob
I don't know about forums, but I took my 66 bug and my 69 Westfalia camper apart quite a few times and ended up both times with really strong-running motors (two different setups) and really fun vehicles. I'd be willing to help you any way I can-- just let me know!

Aloha,

Mike

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bikertrash99 said:
My first car was a '66 Beetle - Last year of the 6 volt. I lust over the new Beetles. I dunno what it is about those cars, but I just love 'em.

T. Mealer
Flowerfield, IL
More homosexuals drive New Beetles than any other car...so I've been told.:whisper:
"Not that there's anything wrong with that'...

·
Registered
179 Posts
YankeeBob said:
More homosexuals drive New Beetles than any other car...so I've been told.:whisper: ...
It figures, with the little flower vase on the dash... I guess, if I ever get one, I'll have to make sure it's black with a nice flame job.... Thanx for deflating my dreams, YankeeBob.(JK) I showed your post to wifey, and she is :roflback: :roflback: :roflback:

·
Registered
161 Posts
YankeeBob said:
More homosexuals drive New Beetles than any other car...so I've been told.:whisper:
"Not that there's anything wrong with that'...
Around here, it's Subaru wagons, at least for the lesbos. I know the sales manager at the local dealership. His store is the largest volume one in the East and he says that fully 70%!!!!! of his sales are to females who, by all appearances & affectations, are lesbians.

Oh well, I didn't want a Subaru anyway.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts