V-Twin Forum banner

Vulcan engineering / motorway 93” PanHead low oil pressure when hot

3K views 31 replies 7 participants last post by  Hoges 
The gig is to convert to end oiler and 73 on pump. Basicaly gives lifters oil first then wlhen relief valve opens suplies crank. 73 upgraded pinion oil pump drive to 6 tooth and 24 on pump as pre 73 used 5/25 gears. But S&S motors are set up this way. The top end is lubed via push rods like EVO

what size is the feed hole in the pinion shaft as if they used Jims pinion shaft i think they had a metering jet maybe its not fitted. Edit! just went back and saw the picture off your pinion shaft does it have a side oiler? If so does the cam cover have correct pinion bush

If you disconnect return line to tank oil should flow on the TC & M8 it flows through filter first on pressure side. All models pre where filtered on return ( scavenger) yes the oil pump has 2 jobs feed and return. Do you have oil return to tank?

Had a few beers but you will have oil pump drive gear ratio to year 72 5 at pump drive to 25at pinion 73 on speed up oil pump 6 - 24 to 25 percent more if my ole brain is worken maybe a miss match?

Pump pressure gears have to be the same so thats normal. i was talking pinion drive gear to oil pump drive gear. as above do they match? Also did you check pinion & cam cover pinion bush clearance? And is the pinion shaft drilled fo side oiler as you picture show a screw in end of pinion shaft
Edit just looked up the Vulcan 93" pan motor and it says 81 up oiling system which is a end oiler. so something wrong with bush to pinion oil flow. pull cover and show pinon then bush please

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.