V-Twin Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
George,

In 1980, I bought a new Corvette and at about 9000 miles, I started using Amsoil in the crankcase. Did so until I sold it at @50,000 miles. At about 30,000 miles I took car to dealer because of rough running engine...diagnosis was front lobe of camshaft worn almost round. Just after I sold it I found out that one cylinder of the engine had to have the rings replaced. I never abused this car.

Since then I have steered away from synthetics. Can you enlighten me?

Check Six

Donger

I realize this post is old by I have information that may answer this problem.

Back early 1980 Chevrolet had a lot of problems with Camshafts. The problem was traced to one of their suppliers here in Michigan so not all the engines would be affected. BAD STEEL that had been imported.

I recall that very well. A friend had a new 1981 Chevy PU with a 350 V8. He had 2 cams replaced under warranty in less than 50,000 miles, the first one went bad early on. Finally when the 3rd cam started failing (he could tell by the engine running rough) and the dealer was reluctant to fix it, he installed a Crane cam and drove the truck for another 10 yrs and then sold it to his younger brother who wore it out. Btw-He as not using synthetic oil either. He had many heated arguments with the dealers to get his truck fixed under warranty.

Many of the out of warranty repairs were of the secret type, unless you complained loudly the dealer was not likely to admit the problem. Another one of those things that ended up costing GM customers.

I wish I still had the old service info on that cam issue but I have no idea what happened to it.

·
VTF Site Sponsor
2,242 Posts
When looking for causes like this cam lobe problem one must look at logic. In this case no oil no matter what brand or base can make just one lobe go bad. Bad metal can though. If it was an oil related problem the whole cam would be wiped out. Keep in mind that the same oil passing by that worn lobe lubricates all the other ones. Oils have been blamed since day one for mechanical and design malfunctions and poor workmanship. Since 1992 Corvettes have come from the factory with synthetic oils in them and actually the warranty may be impacted if you do not keep using them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 2005 Cadillac CTS came with synthetic! It has a special oil filler cap the says "Special Lubricant Required" and a Mobil 1 Logo. Its has TSO since the fall of 2005.

Lots of other GM cars come with synthetic. Most all the Cadillac's' like Escalade, CTS, STS, XLR, SRX.

Been using Amsoil since 1975.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts