V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello.

I have been stopping into the VTF since I got my '05 RK Custom back in April for tech info and the like and finally decided to join up a few weeks ago... you know, the orange thing.

So I have been posting here and there and meeting some great folks and then found a post from someone, to remain unnamed, giving a newcomer a finger wag about never formally introducing himself...

So this is sort of my scarlet letter debut.

My story...

Started riding when I was fourteen. I was helping my older brother rebuild an abused 1954 chopped 74. He did all the mech stuff and I did the wiring and painting. I used to sit on the fender and we'd hit 120 something (at least that is what he told me)... no helmets... no fear. That bike sent me into the rafters at the gas station where he stored it one afternoon while learning to kick it to everyones enjoyment. Eventually, I started riding it when he was away at college... he never knew.

My brother died shortly thereafter (not on a bike) and we moved to CA. I got into dirt bikes, married a great lady (28 years and counting), switched to street bikes (Honda 360 for 2 days then traded it for a Honda 750 SS) and started having kids. I promised my wife, an emergency room nurse at the time, that I would sell the bike and wait until the kids were older. Twenty-five years later, after having looked at a picture of a FatBoy on my wall for years, went in to look at some... saw the RK Custom, fell in love, and bought it.

So I have been having fun out there riding and, back in the garage, tinkering, modifying, fixing, cussing, and admiring. My wife hops on the back now and again and sometimes we ride towards the full moon at dusk....

Somehow... everytime I get on that thing and feel the wind, the power, the freedom, it brings me back to those days shared with my brother working on and riding that chopper.

It is great to be here. I know the people here are great, the advise sage, and the women... well... so far non existent.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Hey, 8ball! Your story sounds so much like mine, it's scary. Almost a mirror image in many respects. But our story is told here often. Had a bike, had kids, got rid of bike. Wind clock forward 25 years, get rid of kids, get a bike. Only this time it's a HARLEY! Nothing like it. I eat, drink, breath HD.

That is one fine looking ride 'ya got there. And living where you do, you get to enjoy it so much more than we do here in the Midwest.

Welcome and we are glad you are here. As for women hanging out here, there are plenty. You'll meet a fellow Hoosier, Carrie. She's as nice as they come and rides a cool hog.

Best wishes for a safe and enjoyable Christmas!

Ray

2005 FLSTSCI Softail Springer Classic

http://beta.propichosting.com/Album.aspx?folder=450007794

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Welcome!

Glad you are aboard. Sorry about your brother. I've lost 2; I feel your pain.

BEAUTIFUL scoot!

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Shame on you!!! :spank: welcome anyway...

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
^rolleyez^ @gree: What were you thinking?

Great intro 8. Glad you joined us man.

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
Well, you posted about some sort of vicious storm that lashed the San Diego area, getting everyone all concerned and failed to do an intro post?

Naughty 8-Ball...:spank:

Welcome!

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
About time you bellied up to the bar and posted your into.

Great into by the way. I think you have very much in common with many of the "seasoned" riders around this place.

I think your avatar is very cool.

So now that you have formally introduced yourself in the proper fashion, I would like to formally welcome you to the finest V-twin motorcycle forum in all of God's ant farm.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
That's because it didn't need to conform to any silly conventions like "Rhyme AABBA * 5 Lines * Lines 1,2,3,4,5 have syllables 8,8,5,6,8 respectively Characteristics: Humorous using absurd or dirty themes."

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
"My wife hops on the back now and again and sometimes we ride towards the full moon at dusk...."

Beeeyoutiful, 8, just beeeyoutiful.....:welcome:

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where were you guys a year ago...

It was interesting to reread it... not being a doof and all... well maybe I was, but hadn't found the rest of the US Doofs.

Thing... is whatever you want it to be...

Mega, bite me... I mean that sincerely...

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
8-Ball said:
My wife hops on the back now and again and sometimes we ride towards the full moon at dusk....
just don't ride toward the setting sun
might get wet
oh and excellent post

1 - 18 of 18 Posts