V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to post this to two forums (here and on MotorcycleUSA.Com). Sorry for the cross-post, but I need an answer FAST!

Here goes...

Why are some VROD's on eBay for under $5000 (late model 2003-2004) when others are on there for $15k, $18k, or even $23k? There are two auctions that are going to close within an hour or so and I am thinking about grabbing one of them if it is wise to do so.

I grew up riding dirt and have been on the sport bikes for the last 17 years... not hard core, just love riding when I can. I have never liked cruisers because of how they look. However, the VROD has had me thinking about a Harley for the last few years. Unfortunately, with their $17k price tag, they are far too expensive for an occassional ride.

Please advise. Should I go for it or not?

Thanx,
Ryan in South Florida
ryan DOT dbaisse AT gmail DOT com

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Too good to be true.

Ever heard of the saying "If it seems too good to be true, It probably is"? You can't buy a Vrod of any year in any shape for $5000. Sorry to be the one to burst your bubble but these are scams. You will notice that they are "special" auctions and you must "preregister" to bid. The guy selling the bike doesn't own it and probably has never seen it. Had this happen to me, guy was selling a tractor I sold the week before. Ebay will eventually catch it. But best to figure that it's not worth spending any more time on. There is no free lunch. Merry Christmas, Dan (The tractorhunter):dunno:

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
If you have ever wondered what the consequences of replying to one of those emails that requests verification of your Ebay information ... this is it!

Basically con artists steal the identity of the Ebay user with great feedback and quickly separate fools from their money!

Sorta sucks, huh?

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
There are deals to be had on V-Rods. Just picked up a brand new 2003 from a dealer for 10,000.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There are bike scams all over ebay...not just HD's. All usually just happen to be overseas regardless of what the ad says. Send em an email and tell em ya wanna buy it. The bike will always suddenly be overseas somewhere.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
I would stay away from buyng a bike on eBay. Many of the so-called deals are scams and even if you buy, there are problems that can arise like, no bike or seller after you've sent your money.

Go to a dealer and make your best deal if you really want one....or buy one locally from a private owner where you can see the bike and title before paying for it.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum. :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
One of the local dealers here discounts all of the Rods... "heavy"...He had about 5 new Street Rods for $13,900 each. Same kind of savings on the other Rods. It's the only way he can move them. You kinda feel for the guy's that bought in on the first ones at 18k+.

·
Registered
725 Posts
wvwayne said:
One of the local dealers here discounts all of the Rods... "heavy"...He had about 5 new Street Rods for $13,900 each. Same kind of savings on the other Rods. It's the only way he can move them. You kinda feel for the guy's that bought in on the first ones at 18k+.
Only if they have intentions of selling. Many rabid owners out there. VRSCA lists are higher than Street Rod lists.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
darman1 said:
There are deals to be had on V-Rods. Just picked up a brand new 2003 from a dealer for 10,000.
Unbelievable.

Dealers around me were asking $25k for these in '02.

John

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
JRS said:
Unbelievable.

Dealers around me were asking $25k for these in '02.

John
Same here in the Nashville and surrounding area. Man, would I feel like such a fuggin' fool for doin that! But some people did alright. Crazy.

·
Goooood morning, Vietnam!
391 Posts
geoffreyt said:
Why are V Rods being so deeply discounted?
Having purchased a 2003 VRSCA new in '03 and selling it last year to buy my new Road Glide, I would have to say it is because the V-Rod wasn't nearly as popular as H-D had hoped it would be. My V-Rod was about 23K new because it had lots of extra chrome, Sundowner seat, luggage rack, passenger backrest, and other upgrades right on the showroom floor. When I asked the same dealer about trade-in value on the new Glide, he quoted 14K in 2005 (and it was a low milage bike).

In my case the V-Rod just didn't fit me in several ways: the forward controls weren't forward enough for my leg length; the seat was too low for the same reason; I would have needed to add saddlebags, 28 tooth gear kit, and other things to make it more servicable. There were other reasons, but you get the idea.

Anyway, I sold the bike to someone myself for more than the dealer's quote and am very happy with my Road Glide. (I'm not trying to bad-mouth V-Rods, I really liked the new technology but, in my case, I felt like the end product wasn't the sum of it's parts.)
:xhere:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.