V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody worked on their suspension. For example, how would softening up the rear shocks work? Obviously it would be the bumps better, but what would you loose?

How about progressive shocks?

·
Registered
149 Posts
When I bought my V-Rod I changed the stock rear shock setting to 3 (from 2) which firmed up the ride considerably (I weigh 165 lbs). I reasoned, that as in some other suspension applications, that a firmer setting would benifit handling. But for me, ithe rider was too bone jarring, and I went back to the number 2 mode which provide a quite confortable ride.

Recently I have installed all chrome Dyna low profile shocks which lowered the rear about 1.5 inches. Goal: Lowering the center of gravity should improove handling. That coupled with the lower than stock Badlander seat, lowers rider weight even further. I havn't played with the Dyna shock settings, which added bonus, have a far wider range of adjustment than the stock shocts all done by hand, no tools, simply rotate the spring retaining cup. Right now they are fairly stiff so next spring I will try the next softest setting and experiment.

Hope this helped.

Pete

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
Pass22,
The Fox shocks I have on my bike were for a Dyna also but lowered my rear about 2inchs below stock ride hieght.Even with my 240 rear tire and drag bars my V-rod handles very even at 140+!
Kaz..........................

·
Registered
149 Posts
Kaz,

I didn't know Fox made shocks that would fit the V-Rod. It's good that you posted this info, so that others who are considering lowered shocks will have another choice along with the Progressive and Dynas.

Did you experience any lean angle pavement scraping after lowering the rear?

Pete

·
Banned
490 Posts
Good News/Bad News

PAS22 said:
Recently I have installed all chrome Dyna low profile shocks which lowered the rear about 1.5 inches. Goal: Lowering the center of gravity should improove handling.
One consequence of lowering the bike in this manner is that it will reduce maximum lean angle - you will start scraping pegs and pipes much sooner than if you left the shocks in the stock configuration. Handling may be improved with a lower C/G; but you may need that lean angle to get you out of a corner that tightens up unexpectedly...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I was hoping that in only lowering the rear, I could avoid the peg scraping problem. Will have to wait for s[ring for that test too!

Pete

·
Registered
265 Posts
We installed the 12" Progressive Suspension shocks and the lowering kit last week. With the 200 series tire I had no LEAN ANGLE issues.
Just a FYI.
Best: Steve

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
Drew,
Believe me I have no problem leaning my bike over my heels drag befor any parts do!My set up is very user friendly and looks Bad A$$!
Kaz...........................

·
Registered
149 Posts
Riders that are experiencing lean drag problems seem to be in the minority, even after suspension lowering. To me, this suggests that 1) they are heavy weights, or 2) there is some other suspension problem such as soft shock and fork pressure, or 3) they are hitting uneven surfaces in turns, or 4) they are riding way beyond the designed limits of the V-Rod.

Being the semi-old fart that I am, I don't have a particularly aggressive riding style so lean drag hasn't posed a problem with me, stock or lowered.

Pete

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Things that make you go scrape!!!

ChopperSteve said:
We installed the 12" Progressive Suspension shocks and the lowering kit last week. With the 200 series tire I had no LEAN ANGLE issues.
The 200mm tire is definitely my next mod but this lowering thing has me a bit puzzled. I'm certainly no rocket scientist but logic dictates that if you lower the rear of the bike, the pegs and pipes will be lowered too. Which will decrease the distance to the pavement thus also decrease your lean angles until touch-down.

I live in the twisties overlooking SF, Oakland and Berkeley. It’s like having a grand prix course in your back yard. That’s why sport bikes are king around here. I scrape everywhere already! I don't need to exacerbate the problem anymore. I'm 6' so seat height is fine, as are pegs and control distances. If anything, I'd like to get more clearance so I can throw her around more like my Aprilia.

Any suggestions Steve?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Rob: I think the rear shocks are valved wrong for guys over 180. to stiff on the slow/small stuff and SACKS out on the fast stuff. The front end could use a little heavier oil! I get a lot of dive under hard braking. Any of the shocks on the markett that match your riding style - weight should be a consideration. I like the look of the stock shock, they just seem cheap!?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
You need a lot of suspension travel where I live. I weigh in around 175lbs w/a 34" inseam and I prefer a stiff set-up. I definitely agree that the forks need help and I'm willing to give heavier oil a try. What weight do you recommend?

The rear shocks do look a little cheesy but I wouldn't replace them for shorter ones at this time. When it comes to suspension set-up, I’m much more concerned with performance than appearance. Form follows function.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I would try 15w at 3.5". We have 10w in now and its too fast!
I wouldn't recommend shorter shocks, just different ones! The ride is so much better. I have not had a chance to take a long ride yet, but the short runs are sure nice!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Steve:

In my experience the foollowing helped eliminate the problems discussed:

FRONT SUSPENSION--Add Screamin Eagle Racing Fork Oil. It fixes the dive problem and soft suspension.

Of course it won't be as easy as conventional Haleys with the drain plug and you have to deal with the internal dampener which screws around with your ability to remove all of the old oil with a syphon.

REAR SUSPENSION--Dial the shocks up to the hardest setting and again you will experience a MUCH BETTER ride and handling.

Regards

Jerry

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
Jerry,
You stoll my Thunder !I forgot I had the Screaming Eagle Racing Fork Oil put in!I was having a problem with the front end "Clunking" under Hard braking.Changed oil to stiffen things up,but it was loose steering head nut!I'm 5'8" 158 so I don't mind being a little lower because I don't weight as much as alot of the other riders.My bike handles very well in the twistys,but I think it has more to do with the rubber I run!240 rear metzler with matching style front metzler.
Kaz.....................:D

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Good suggestions gents. I'll try the SE fork oil next, thanks. I've already got my rear shocks dialed up all the way and they feel ok for my weight.

I've never asked a lot of my Vrod's set-up due to the fact it's my cruiser and has major design and chassis limitations. It will never be my canyon strafer, but I am open to getting the most from what is available. Thanks again for all the help.

speed safe

·
World's Fastest V-roder
1,907 Posts
Steve,
I just took the bike in for it's 1k service and had a problem with the front tire rubbing the bolt under the fender .It's a much taller tire.They could'nt get another Metzeler so they put a stock one on.I hate it because there's to much space between the tire and fender"Short tire" so they ordered me a new one!I can call and get the model.It's much more agressive than stock and really help's on the "turn in"Rob you should know about that!
Kaz..........................

·
Banned
914 Posts
Hey SuperKaz,

How the hell did you get a 240 rear on the VROD? Just curious....Do you have a pic you can post? I gotta see this. Must look awsome!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts