V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well - with the long never ending winter in full tilt - I have managed to get the first week of March off - and if the weather permits -I will kickoff the 2003 season at the AHDRA GAinesville NAtionals - on March 4th and 5th - the week prior to Bike week. I bought a new trailer and now I am going to need to figure out how to drive the thing - man I hope that I don't wreck. Is ther anyone on the board planning on making the event - these All Harley Drag Racing events are sopposed to be great outings - 6 second top fuel bikes that are supposed to literally shake the earth. I will be running the lead sled in the street ET and SEP (11.5 index). If I an successful figuring getting some of the lead out eventually I hope to work my way into the Super Elliminator class(10.9 index) by the end of the year. If your planning on attending - it would be great to meet face to face. Best to all. Kevin

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks John - and yes almost always run with the windshield - just tuck in underneath and enjoy the ride - I ran consecutive runs with it on and off and the two runs were within .001 seconds of each other - so it doesn;t seem to have an effect on performance - It has never given me a problem up to 115mph as far as stability goes. Also on really cold days or nights I will shed the helmet shield as they tend to fog when you stage - and it is a real problem to launch with your faceshield fogged up - I have done it twice in my life - the first time i floated a set of vales on a V65 Magna - as that tach was at 12,000 rpm on a 10,000 redline - the second time was last summer during a time trial at a regional race in Ohio - and I am old enough to know better - this time I just blew the run and took the shield off for the rest of the event. I even ran with the hard saddlebags on once - they were ok at speed also - you never know - saddle bags make great accessories for a nitrous sleeper setup.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Steve - there you have it -I am confused as normal - I thought that bike week was the following week - it is about 120 miles. So that actually means that I will be in FL during bike week not before. I told you that the winter has been far too long - any possibilities that you could run at Gainesville or if you are there it would be great to meet - the AHDRA website is www.ahdra.com - it has their full 2003 schedule posted - and thanks I got the 28 tooth.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Damn, i was gonna give you a hard time about the dates and somebody went and spoiled my fun !! Good luck at the drags, post your results after !!!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Steve/Kevin:

We ought to hve the V-Rod gathering at the Drags in Gainesville. I assume you guys got rooms right??

Regards

V-Rod 1 FL

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Alien - I will post the results for sure - I guess I am paying to much attention to the race schedules and not enough on the bike gathering schedule. Last weekend I was trying to map scheddules for AHDRA, ProStar and the MIR series with various local events and by the time I was done I was totally confused and was planning to do twice as many events as any sane person would - but there are some big money events out there - anyway I have proved that my confusion level is way up there - probably the reason that I will only race in straight lines....

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
V--Rod 1 - rooms? haven't started with that one yet - it is 120 miles away - I can stay with my parents down near Orlando - but it one of those quite older neighborhoods - I wonder how they would like the VMods Steve? That might be a problem. Hey - if we have a VRod gathering I hope some of you will consider running - I can review the basics with anyone who has never done it before - it is pretty simple - just smoke'em, stage, launch, shift a few times - tuck in and enjoy the ride. Ypou don't even have to turn or brake - just twist the damn throttle - The top fuel is a show that is incredible to watch - and the Harley racers tend to maintain the custom styling - so the pits are often as enjoyable as the track is exciting.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Kevin:I have Relations in Orlando,Winter Garden, Plant City,Long Boat Key. I will be wearing out Highway 4. We also may make a trip down to Napels to see a friend of my Wifes. I will make all efforts to get to the Race. I'll check into running, Though I don't think we will be in Race Trim.
Best: Steve

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Steve,
My parents are in Winter Haven and my son is in Tampa - it seems that we could have a chance to meet - especially if you can make it to GainesvileTuesday is qualifying and Wednesday racing b- but if you can only make Tuesday you could still run. Jerry - I need your number - could you email it to me - Gainesville is close to Jacksonvile so we got to at least try to meet up. And Steve about being in racing trim - I am on the all veg diet trying to get my Walrus body ready to go - finally saw 200 again - but in thisa game as you know weight is HP - and HD certainly isn't helping to create any additional HP so on with the salads - You will need to join AHDRA to run - $50 + $10 for membership -WWW.AHDRA.COM - I think that you can get number plates down there or they will mail them - I got mine for both classes. I have to figure out how to mount them - I met with my sponsor today and I am going to the Car show tonight to introduce him to the owners of the local raceway. I will be taking the bike in for prep on Monday - and he is planning on calling his HD performance shop regarding performance options - this guy specializes in porting and related head modifications. It will be interesting to see what he has to say. The shop that I will be racing for has been out of it for a few years but had 3 national #1plates - so they know how to make things go. We were also talking about the possibility of trying to get the local dealership to sponsor a HD/Metric shootout at the local track - that would be entertaining - I am almost always the only HD at the track - There is also a $150,000 total purse event that will be happening in Minn this summer - that is your backyard my friend. And Jerry, we could use some company at the strip - I think that you would like it - you do have that 28 tooth on right. Haave you raced before - if not I could have you ready to run in know time - anybody else thinking of running the only I did put some notes on Steve's forum WWW.V-Mod.com regarding racing techniques for the VRod - from burnouts to shifting - which pretty much needs to be done off the Speedometer since the tach is so small - if you are hooking up a shift light - pingel has them with a kill switch tether- pin 3 on the ECM is a tach feed marked unused in the manuals. Dyna shiftminder and light - if anyone is interested I can take a picture of the handle bar mounting - it just fits. By the way I picked up the trailer and was able to get it home without wrecking it.
Best regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
450 Posts
Kevin:

I will send you my phone number to your email address. LEAVE A MESSAGE WITH DETAILS IF I AM NOT THERE TO ANSWER!!

I have the 29 tooth on my bike. I decided that it was the best for combined street playing and riding. Tthe 28 tooth is for you serious guys!!

I THINK I am seeing a 500 rpm increase in revs with the 29 tooth. I woulg guess that the 28 would bring that up to 750 rpms.

YOUR SHIFT LIGHT HOOKUP DETAIL--I would like to see pictures of it and the web site --etc.

I think it would be good to have for the occasional street encounter.

DID YOU GET THE PICTURES I SENT YOU IN 2 EMAILS??

Regards.

V-ROD 1 FL

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Kevin,
I wish you the best of luck in your racing endevors, I know it takes a lot of hard work and dedication. I raced a super gas car in NHRA years ago so I know. I am thinking about maybe running a a few times at a local track and see how things go. Hopefully you will make it to the race inn Norwalk, OH and maybe we can hook up. Best of luck in Gainesvl.
Kevin

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RVRod - thanks for the good wishes - if you take your VRod out you know that you may catch that bug again - Have you ever run a bike before - it is fun. I am planning on making it to Norwalk in June I believe - hopefully we could get the chance to meet.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Kevin,
No I have never raced a bike before, at least not at the track. I did do very little street raceing on my old Suzuki GS1150. To be honest I am getting a little more timid or cautious in my older years however the V-Rod has peaked my interest again! Hope to meet you in Norwalk. Go get em in Gainesville!
Kevin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts