V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience with charging the battery in the VROD?

As some of you may know... it's a real pain in the a$$ to get the battery out of the bike.

I will probably just charge it in the bike with a smart charger.

I'm thinking that I will disconnect both battery leads from the bike and wrap the ends so that they don't come into contact with anything.

Then, connect the leads from the charger directly to the battery.

Anyone feel that this is ok... or should I keep the battery connected to the bike and just ground the negative to the bike.

I ask because... I cannot seem to locate a good enough ground to the frame.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

-Dipper

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yep, I've had to charge mine twice. The battery will not stay charged for weeks on end with the anti-theft turned on. I have a "battery Tender" that has a connector that you can attach to the battery posts. It's about 5 inches long and connects to a longer cord that comes out of the battery tender. It's small enough to roll up and stuff into a corner under the air box cover without having to remove it from the battery. Works for me.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
sore subject

I'm on my 2nd battery. The 1st one started showing signs after a couple of months. It went stone dead when I tried to fire up after a 3-week holiday in Europe. Dealer said it was a bad cell. Battery #2 is working fine so far. I use a battery tender too and highly recommend it to anyone who hibernates their bike over winter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
adding a power jack???

I was just at a BMW dealer and the dealer installs a 12 volt jack (like a small cig lighter) on every bike. The jack is use to connect a battery tender as well as a power source for an electric vest (for winter riding). Does HD have such a jack and where would you put it on the Vrod?

It sure made charging the battery easy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts