V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HD dealer offers a extended factory warranty. I have seen debates on other extended warranties, but this one in on HD documents and has a published rate schedule for 2 thru 7 years at a cost of $535 thru $1400. I'm looking for opinions on this extended warranty. I am new to both motorcycles and to Harley Davidson. I never buy these warranties on cars or appliances, but I am concerned that the Vrod is not only new but radically different for HD and therefore the bugs might not be totally worked out.

A) any opinions on the need for the extended warranty on a HD product and especially the Vrod, and
B) any experiences with HD and their willingness to stand behind the warranty?

Larry Dunville

·
Registered
543 Posts
I've had warranty work done a couple of times, and it's never been a problem. All my other bikes I only had the standard one year warranty. I was thinkin the same as you when I bought the V-Rod, so I have a 4 year total warranty on it.

Was it a waste of money ? Maybe. With a first year bike, I'd rather not take any chances. They replaced a leaking valve cover gasket and a broken coolant bottle cap already on the V-Rod. No hassles, no charge.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I put 9000 miles on mine and have the extended warranty, I have only had it in the shop a couple of times, just for the scheduled maintenance and they have been very good about it!

Waste of money?? To some it is, until there there is a problem a few years down the line!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey Fugly,

I just noticed the other day that my coolant bottle cover was broken too. Mine had just gone in for service and i was wondering if maybe they did it. They covered it under warranty for you?
When you say broken.....my hose connection broke off flush with the hose...same with you?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yeah, the hose fitting broke off the bottle. Mine was like that before I had it serviced. I just stuck the hose in the bottle and rubber taped it to seal it, till I took the bike in for service. Service Manager said they have seen it happen on a couple of them. No charge for replacement.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
warranty issues

My coolant cap failed on the way to the dealer to have my battery replaced. By the time I pulled into the service area I had coolant spraying all over my bike and me. They replaced the cap, no questions asked, even though I most likely tweaked it with all my battery fittling, which was also a warranty item.

Next thing to rattle loose was the mettle cone that fits over the low beam bulb of the headlight assembly. It rattled loose on a ride and made all kinds of noise in there. I had to completely disassemble the headlight in order to squeeze my two index fingers in the bulb holes to reattach the stupid thing. What next?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Worse than the headlight nuts coming off, yesterday I took the Rod out for a spin since it was warm. When I stopped at the plant that my dad works at to show it to a few people there, one guy asked if that was right: pointing at the front axle-with no nut on it any longer! The bike only has about 1300 miles on it and the front wheel hasn't been off since it was uncrated. Think someone forgot to torque it down correctly when rigging. Dealer is sending me a new nut and torque specs, but I missed a beautiful day today and it was my last chance to ride for about two weeks. I was really enjoying the Sundowner and 16GA pipes I just had installed two days prior too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Got the 3 year ex. war.

I too think it a good move when buying a first edition------I'll probably keep this bike and I'm thinking of buying a few more years

Hutch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts