V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have already ordered my VPC and have seen, http://www.harleyhog.co.uk/hippovpc.htm

When my 95 build was done I had the SE heavy clutch spring installed.
I went for a polar bear ride yesterday and as the temps droped so did my grip.
The VPC seems to be the best bet for me. The 83T. Per Hippo he suggested this model along with going to a 06 clutch spring.

1. Does anyone know if the clutch spring itself 2006 is different from 2004.
2. On a TC do you need to remove the primary cover to remove the spring or can this be done through the clutch cover/derby cover.
* It looks like the one part that has a tab on it that is part of the VPC goes under the spring and it does say on the web page that it can be done through the cover. Am I missing somethin? Thanks Ultra04

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
i can help you on 1 and 2
1 yes it is the 06 is a lighter pressure....i believe, comes in the easy clutch setup
2 Yes it is possible to change the spring through the cover.....NOt sure about the VPC, as i never installed one YET...
I would wait and see if Hippo chimes in for the rest....

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replys

Thanks guys, I have already ordered from Hippo and have had a couple good emails. My main question was that I had already bought the SE clutch spring but he sugested going to a 06 and as I said I was not sure if it was the same as my old 04. I am hoping I can just buy the 06 spring. I have written Jenni on that matter.
Glad to hear that I can do the spring through the derby cover. I really did not want to have to pull the primary. Some say you can and others say no? Thanks Ultra04

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The 06 spring is part # 37882-06 and is just over 20 bucks from Zanotti's so it probably is close to it from Jenni.

The problem with replacing the diaphragms (clutch springs as you call them) thru the derby hole is that to some extent you have to distort them and this can cause uneven engagement or disengagement. I can see a fellow that has to flat rate something doing it, but why would you want to do so on your own bike? in particular if you have the late style reusable gasket? It's not that much work unless the bike has a real unusual floorboard/auxiliary peg setup.

The VPC itself can be installed thru the derby hole, no problem, without forcing anything.

Also when we exchanged e mails I understood that the SE spring was actually installed on the bike, you will find that forcing it thru the hole may take you as long if not longer then just pulling the outer primary which on my Road Glide takes 1/2 hour tops.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
And yes, as explained on the link I sent, there basically are now 5 different diaphragms on the TC's.
99 thru 03
04 and 05
the pink dot one that comes on the CVO 103's
the SE diaphragm

While some of them may have similar ratings, they do have different curves when you put them on a spring tester, and there can be some discrepancy from spring to spring with the same part# even when they are brand new.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
I tottaly agree with HIPPO. The s/e spring is a pain is the @ss to get through the cover. While it can be done, i would recommend taking the primary cover off and inspecting everything. I would say the comp nut and the chain tension is a good start. That being said good luck..........

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Hey Hippo, If I already installed the SE spring, can I add the VPC without changing the spring again?
TIA
adx

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Yes, it works with either diaphragm.

The effort reduction at idle and in city traffic speed is XX% (depending on model) as compared to the actual effort the bike has prior to the VPC install.

The % of effort reduction between diaphragms is additional to it.

For example if you used a VPC with a 30% effort reduction, and this allowed you to use a diaphragm that requires a 20% less effort, at idle and city traffic speed you would have a 50% lighter lever effort.

It is a priority question, ie wether you want the maximum effort reduction while still having some excess capacity (IMO this is the preferred option in almost all conditions) or wether you want maximum excess capacity regardless of effort.

Lots of young strong guys dismiss the effort issue. After a lifetime of wrenching I have pretty good grip strenght <G> but find ergonomically friendly low effort controls much quicker and accurate to operate and it makes you (or at leat me) quicker and more precise on the bike. This actually applies to all controls.

Optimizing these things is like the difference between shifting a M5 Bimmer or a T10 Muncie. Sure. They both shift. But?. LOL.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Talked me into it!

OK! OK! OK!, Ya talked me into it. I wrote Jenni yesterday and she sent me a email today. She did not give me a part number but said that it cost 31.44.
That may be with shipping. It also may not count discount. Either way it will be on its way this week!
I will pull the primary! When I had the bike in the shop I told them to install the SE clutch spring. They did and they also pulled primary because they charged for new primary gasket. This is just redundant. Wish I would have known how tough the pull would be with the SE spring. I really should say it is not that tough when weather is warmer but when your hands get cold and the pull gets stiffer, it can be hard on the wrist or carpo tunnel. Ultra04 :wacko:

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
So let's see, if I put in the 06 clutch spring, the 06 ramp, the White Bros Easyboy Lite and a VPC, pulling my clutch should be like pulling air. Is that about right?
Actually my clutch with SE spring isn't hard to pull, but I have felt the ones that are soft and smooth like butter and they sure feel nice. I do believe Hippo you are right on with with this statement "I have pretty good grip strenght <G> but find ergonomically friendly low effort controls much quicker and accurate to operate and it makes you (or at leat me) quicker and more precise on the bike."

Guess my only question is, will my clutch still be adequate to handle the near 100/100 power from my motor with this setup? Guess only the spring is an issue...

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still tough

adlerx, I do not know what bike you have but maybe on an Ultra since the clutch cable goes through the faring it is a little harder. I did Lube the cable and all on Sunday and was better but still, on a long ride or stuck in traffic I think it is a little tough and especially in 38deg weather. I did not tell my friends though.;) And I still won't tell them what I am doing. As I age I have noticed that some things are not as easy as they used to be.:whistle: I say this because on here I am for the most part, anonymous.:thumbsup: Ultra04

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Is that about right?
Actually you may not be able to shift despite the very light effort <G>

The thing that is unique about the VPC, as far as it relates to effort, is that it is the only device that lowers effort without changing disengagement travel.

The EZ clutch in addition of changing cable entry angle does significantly reduce disengagement travel. This is why HD split effort reduction between the ramps and the diaphragm. The HD ramps all by themselves reduce effort but only about 15%, the advantage as compared to the EZ clutch is that they do not change entry angle and do not reduce disengagement travel that much.
The rest of the lower effort comes from the 06 diaphragm. This is a very clever part. The clamping force at installed height is very similar to the 05 diaphragm, but instead of a linear spring is what one might describe as a reverse progressive diaphragm. If you put it on a spring measuring/plotting machine you find that the very first initial disengagement effort is almost the same but the instant this point is passed the effort gets lighter. This gives the perception of a very light spring.

It would hold the power just fine, even with the 06 spring. While there are a number of other factors that enter into consideration when selecting a diaphragm/VPC combination, ie TQ curve shapes, primary ratios, etc, wether the bike has a 04/05 or 06 diaphragm is not significant as long as one allows for production variances from part to part.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
OK Hippo thatnks for your patience. My bike is an 01 FLTRI. If I use the 06 spring and ramps and the vpc, will i get performance and comfort? Will it be that different than if I just use the vpc and my original stock spring?
TIA

Ultra04, sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack your thread..

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You might try the VPC and see how you like it, but yes, there is a significant difference. Even the VPC with the 06 diaphragm and the stock 01 ramps is incredibly light in city traffic for a engine at this power level.
I would normally not go thru removing the pipes and the ramp housing just to replace the ramps, but if I were in there or close for another reason I would. That's what I do with my own.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Thanks Hippo, I'll be calling soon. As it turns out, the pipes will be coming off pretty soon anyhow for some work. I'll just do all that clutch work while the bike's on the lift and the wrench is working on the cam chest. Lucky me to have that kind of relationship with him!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Vpc With 95 Inch

HIPPO I have a 04 rk 95ith flat top se pist., 204 cams, mild head work ,42 mik ,t- header ,which vpc would i use ,i have changed the ramps but not the spring thanks BUTCH

1 - 18 of 18 Posts