V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after a VERY good ride to Sturgis via Grand Tetons, YellowStone, Bear Tooth pass with the GF in the sidecar she now thinks she'd like to try riding on her own. While at Sturgis we looked at numerous trikes...just about every flavor, configuration you could think of. AND most companies are VERY proud of their products, $$$$ wise.

We also talked to the Pingel people there about their shift kit and the GF tried it on their demo bike. Only problem I can see, since she can't use her legs, is getting the bike into neutral but have decided I could build a suicide shift lever kinda rig that would afix to the side of the tank and to the tranny shifter. I have an old chrome bracket that fits on the side of the tank. Might look pretty neat.

Another issue would be reverse but talked to the Champion people about their reverser kits. Good looking product.

Anyway, my question after I said all that does anybody have any experience with the Voyager conversion kits used on a Dyna. I can see big advantages with it and upgrading the bike without having to buy a totally new rig.

Thoughts please..???

o~\o

·
Registered
204 Posts
The wife of a friend has a Voyager kit on her Yamaha Star (she has a bad back). They tour a lot (her hubby has an RK) and she was getting nervous about her back giving out when they were far from home. She likes the Voyager kit a lot and they've had no issues with it.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Am I looking at this correctly? I could take a normal bike make it a trike anytime I wanted by simply hooking up the conversion kit? If so could solve multiple problems like getting the wife riding and yet when the father in law comes down having a bike for him to ride.

·
Live Free or Die
8,686 Posts
I don't know anything about conversion kits, but I think it's pretty damn cool your girlfriend isn't letting the fact she can't use her legs keep her from having fun.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HiAngle said:
I don't know anything about conversion kits, but I think it's pretty damn cool your girlfriend isn't letting the fact she can't use her legs keep her from having fun.
She has MS (secondary progressive) and is unable to walk with out the use of a walker or motorized scooter. She's a real trooper. Have attached a pic I took when we were coming into Jackson Hole, WY...

holobach said:
Am I looking at this correctly? I could take a normal bike make it a trike anytime I wanted by simply hooking up the conversion kit? If so could solve multiple problems like getting the wife riding and yet when the father in law comes down having a bike for him to ride.
Yep, you're reading it right.

Attachments

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
Texan said:
She has MS (secondary progressive) and is unable to walk with out the use of a walker or motorized scooter. She's a real trooper. Have attached a pic I took when we were coming into Jackson Hole, WY...

Yep, you're reading it right.
I admire your GF and anyone like her who doesn't let a condition get them down. Here's to her!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
What kind of sidecar is that? Do you like it? I may have to get on 3 wheels, and I don't want a trike. I have a bad knee and it is getting harder and harder to hold up the bike.

I have read a lot about then, but never driven one. I can't find anyone who rents them, a 10 min test drive tells you very little.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
an older gent in my club has a Voyager on his Royal Star. He says it prefers to go straight so he goes a little slower on the twisties. My thoughts are that it is just like training wheels making it safer but there is no room or adapter for a trunk so it isn't as truly functional as a trike.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
route66paul said:
What kind of sidecar is that? Do you like it? I may have to get on 3 wheels, and I don't want a trike. I have a bad knee and it is getting harder and harder to hold up the bike.

I have read a lot about then, but never driven one. I can't find anyone who rents them, a 10 min test drive tells you very little.
Well, Paul you got the verbiage right when you said "driven" one. You drive and not ride. BUT I've learned how to navigate it and it's really a lot of fun to take on trips. Ya might look at this which is a little write up I did right after I picked up the sidecar. There's also a lot of information on the United Sidecar Assocs. website.

o~\o

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fred1369 said:
an older gent in my club has a Voyager on his Royal Star. He says it prefers to go straight so he goes a little slower on the twisties. My thoughts are that it is just like training wheels making it safer but there is no room or adapter for a trunk so it isn't as truly functional as a trike.
Probably just like riding with my sidecar on the twisties. As far as "no room or adapter for a trunk"....we have a Bushtec trailer that we could haul her stuff in. I'm seriously looking into the Voyager. Have been Google'n and Ask'n this evening to see if anybody else makes such a rig. $4100.00 seems a little steep and understand if you get it color matched it's another $450.00. Guess I'm lucky my Dyna is Vivid Black...stock paint on the Voyager.

o~\o

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
My dad bought a new '05 E-Glide, rode for a year and decided he needed some help with his degenerating balance and strength (he was 80 years old). I tried to talk him in to a full blown trike, but he balked big time at the price. He finally bought a Voyager and rode that for about a year. It helped him a lot, but it had a lot of drawbacks. He eventually was able to get a test ride on a Goldwing CSC trike conversion. He said it's like the difference between an old Model T and his new Lexus. He bought the CSC trike and then separated the Voyager and E-Glide and sold each one. Wish I could give you more specifics about what he didn't like about the Voyager kit, but I do know it wore out the rear tire really fast and he said steering was very hard (especially compared to the CSC).

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
route66paul said:

Don't know if you were asking me but it's hard to beat a Harley sidecar. I have one on my 2004 FLHTCUI and it's enabled me to keep riding, and in style, I might add.

The only bikes that will take a Harley sidecar nowadays are the FL Electraglides. They used to make mounts for the FXR's for the police but those are hard to find anymore.

Before you make plans to buy a sidecar, I suggest you find someone who has one locally and have them take you for a ride or maybe ride around in a parking lot. I personally like them but I'll be the first to say that they aren't for everyone.

Happy Trails.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I rode HD sidecar rigs for years, have many thousands of miles on them. About 4 years ago bought a Gold Wing and installed a Hannigan trike kit on it. We rode it 39K miles, sold it, bought an 07 Ultra and installed a CSC kit on it. We now have about 12K on it. I rode the sidecar rigs because it was my only option, wife got tired of not being able to see anything on the left side so we tried the trike. She loves it, and I love it. Just my opinion, but I don't think I'll ever go back to a side car. By the way you might check out the new CanAm reverse trike. Complete unit sells for around 16K. I really like them but haven't had a chance to ride one yet. Much more sporty than my HD.

Dwight

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dwight said:
.....wife got tired of not being able to see anything on the left side ....
Was the exact statement I heard from my GF when we got back from Sturgis.

Looked at the Hannigan trike kit and the CanAm reverse trike. I'm thinking about using my '96 FXDL for the conversion so the Hannigan won't help me. Have seen the CanAm Reverse and it reminds me too much of the old Honda three-wheelers. LoL!!

So the search goes on..

o~\o

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Texan said:
Was the exact statement I heard from my GF when we got back from Sturgis.

Looked at the Hannigan trike kit and the CanAm reverse trike. I'm thinking about using my '96 FXDL for the conversion so the Hannigan won't help me. Have seen the CanAm Reverse and it reminds me too much of the old Honda three-wheelers. LoL!!

So the search goes on..

o~\o
They're not cheap, but the Motortrike kits look really good and have very nice suspension. My dad is over 60 now and has bad knees. He just can't hold his ElectraGlide Classic up as well as he would like, so he's having the Motortrike kit put on it. He's real cheap when it comes to spending money, so for him to fork out the cash for a more expensive kit meant that he did a lot of research into what you get, how it functions, and how much value it adds to the bike. Remember that a high quality trike conversion can add a significant amount of resale value to your bike. The quick conversion kits like the Voyager are easier to install and remove, but they generally don't add resale value like a full conversion kit will. They full kits often have much better suspension and handling as well, and that may be very important for your wife's comfort and safety level. I know we're talking about a significant difference in cost, but I figure it's worth it to know that for the extra money your spending that she's getting something that's going to make her enjoy the ride that much more. Best of luck on your purchase, and your wife deserves to be commended for efforts to not let an unfortunate circumstance get her spirits down!!

Drel

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
My first Harley had the Voyager kit on it before i bought it. I test rode the bike with it on and it felt just like riding with training wheels. I had it removed before i bought the Heritage.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Dwight said:
I rode HD sidecar rigs for years, have many thousands of miles on them. About 4 years ago bought a Gold Wing and installed a Hannigan trike kit on it. We rode it 39K miles, sold it, bought an 07 Ultra and installed a CSC kit on it. We now have about 12K on it. I rode the sidecar rigs because it was my only option, wife got tired of not being able to see anything on the left side so we tried the trike. She loves it, and I love it. Just my opinion, but I don't think I'll ever go back to a side car. By the way you might check out the new CanAm reverse trike. Complete unit sells for around 16K. I really like them but haven't had a chance to ride one yet. Much more sporty than my HD.

Dwight
I saw a Road King that was set up like that by the factory to test it out. That would be my first choice.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
route66Paul,
I saw a picture on one of the forums that was supposedly part of a patent application by HD for the reverse trike. They signed an agreement with Lehman a year or so ago to partner with them to develop trikes for HD. I keep asking my boss (local HD shop owner, I install trike kits for them) when we'll see the new trikes, last time I asked he thought it would be sometime in 08.
Hannigan already is offering a reverse trike kit for the Gold Wing so we may see it from HD. Hopefully when (if) they offer one it will have a little added horsepower!

Dwight

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
my Voyager Experience - Nice but not a long term solution

After four weeks of getting the Voyager, we went to Sturgis. Two riding seasons later, we sheared off a total of three sets of axle brackets and handling it felt like we had a combination of Parkinsons/Palsy. MTCVoyager redesigned the brackets and it seemed to be a "permanent" fix. By then, I'd grown to hate the Voyager. As my wife said, it sounds and feels like two tin cans.

As a TriGlide wasn'tr available for testing, we rode tested a late model Lehman Trike (it was heavenly) but after balancing the issues, we bought a TriGlide.

I did recommend a Voyager to a neighbor and he loves it but he's not a hard rider and it meets his needs.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts