V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which way does the long wire from the regulator go to get back to the circuit breakers? I had mine running along the right side of the frame and cross above the transmission. I replaced it in a parking lot a few years back, and I thought that’s how the old one went. Must not have been as it got cut/crushed in that spot.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
A lot would depend on what kind of and what year bike you have. It probably tells you in the service manual.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Looking at as close to stock one as I can locate.
Right side..above frame rail.. to (almost) vertical rail where it joins another bundle as well as a tube, and then out of sight, toward Breakers..

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
On that bike it runs along the right frame rail,, on the inside,,, there is a hole through the crossmember for it to pass through,, then behind the transmission, and up to the ,silver terminal on the breaker,, it can be connected to the gold terminal, or the battery,, but, if shorted out,, there may be a fire in the future.. the moco changed the location several decades ago,,,

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what happened to me. Western KS, my bike died going up an offramp. I thought the breaker went bad, but it was the regulator wire. It was run on the left side and shorted against the oil tank. Thank goodness it was on the opposite side of the breaker from the battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts