V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok just purchased new ultra classic, now I am new to HD so when I started to unload my new bike from trailer the dang battery was to low to turn it over. So I put a trickle charge on it overnight. (trickle charger said charged OK next day) Ok next day on my maiden ride I noticed the volt meter stays at 15 VOLTS isn’t that excessive, it ran good for 60 miles till I got home, still staying exactly on 15 volts, (fired right up later)would someone tell me to take this thing back to the dealership or what to do with it???

·
03 FLHTCUI
375 Posts
I've got an "03 Ultra, with a Trike conversion, and don't think I have seen the volt meter off of 15 volts for the 26,000 miles I've put on it. Oh, yes I did. Last winter I had the electric gloves, liner and socks on, all the lights running, the radio on and I was sitting in the drive way warming up the bike, and at idle it dropped down to 13 volts. Must be the guage, but I never have had a problem.

Ride Safe.
Walt

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
inconsistent voltmeters

I'd say that every bike with a voltmeter seems to have its own reading. It is as if the voltmeters are just there and generally it is inaccurate. I have two bikes, both twin cam glide's: one reads closer to 15.5 volts and the other 13.5 volts. A fly-and-ride I rode for two weeks read 14 volts. Why are the different? Who knows!

To me the voltmeter has only two values: one if it reads lower than 12 volts you got a problem; if it is not constant at its reading you got a problem. But what voltage it reads when everything is normal is bike dependent.

·
03 Heritage
491 Posts
I don't have a voltmeter on my softail, but I have measured the voltage on my bike with a digital mult-meter and a twin-scan 88 tool. Around 14.2 volts is common/normal when riding. I'll bet that 14.2 could look like 15 on a dash gauge that probably isn't too accurate. I'll bet your fine. If you can measure your voltage with a known accurate meter like a voltmeter it may help put you mind at ease.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Just check it to make sure is good, then take a mental picture of 15v and if it moves then look for a problem. Mine has been same for the little over the year i had my bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
15 volts to high

Thank everyone for your comments; i can now sleep at night
Knowing it is in range with most of the other bikes. Down deep
Inside i figured a new bike should have been checked out and the Big
OK put on it. But the situation was just a surprise in thinking it should be exactly on 12.8 volts. Hey thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts