V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Again. It passed the subcommittee and soon will be up for final vote in the General Assembly. If you believe in freedom of choice please email your delegate and state senator and let them know. You can get contact info here: http://legis.state.va.us/.

-jeff

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Awesome.

The Delinquents are on it. :yes:

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
I hope it passes for you guys. That has missed making it to a final vote several years here in Tennessee.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, keepin my fingers crossed. We moved here from Ohio (non-helmet) last year and it's been kind of a drag.

-jeff

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
GPO03FatBoy said:
Looks like what 1200c said, it passed the committee, and should be referred to the full House for vote.

If I read it right, the new bill would limit helmet wearing to riders and passengers under 21.

I'm waiting for the fat lady to sing.

Unless your in the Military, in VA, then your still wearing a helmet. One of the many rights you give up when you join.

·
100th Road Glide
283 Posts
Never happen

I was raised in Bristol Tennessee where half of the town is in Tennessee and half in Virginia. My dad when he was alive always called Virginia "Little Russia" since they were so strict on vehicle laws. I now live in Virginia and have done so for 11 years. I could not agree more with my dad! I have heard of troopers making people scrape off their window tint after they gave them a ticket or they would tow it! I would like to see us have a choice, I would still wear mine but I would like the choice. Just like a seatbelt, we should be able to choose. I like how daytona florida does, you better show proof of insurance if your pulled. That was if you bust your head on the curb and have no family or means of support the state will not have to keep your blood flowing! I would bet this state will be the last to ever go no helmet.
Mike

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
You don't have a choice with a seatbelt in Virginia - you are legally required to wear one. Virginia has secondary seat belt laws, though, meaning you cannot be pulled over just for the seatbelt infraction.

FULLDRAWMIKE said:
I would like to see us have a choice, I would still wear mine but I would like the choice. Just like a seatbelt, we should be able to choose.

·
100th Road Glide
283 Posts
Bhawk

What I mean't to say is that even seatbelts should be by choice as helmets. I have been in Virginia 11 years and beleive me, I know you have to have your seatbelt on. I guess I worded it wrong. Mike

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Got it - I misread your post. Thanks for clarifying.

FULLDRAWMIKE said:
What I mean't to say is that even seatbelts should be by choice as helmets. I have been in Virginia 11 years and beleive me, I know you have to have your seatbelt on. I guess I worded it wrong. Mike

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
One more vote for choice

Know that I'm in the minority here but I'll probably keep wearing mine even if it passes but I'm still hoping it does.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
I'm all over it...I'm gonna make sure everyone I know is too...

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
woo hoo... if it passes, we'll have more dead bikers every year!!!
Better check the figures when you make that kind of statement...besides, it's about freedom of choice...I was apparently under the mistaken impression we were all aboput protecting our freedoms...

·
Registered
645 Posts
Amen! The only way those laws should be applied is, if it where directed to minors. That I can understand. Otherwise I believe it should be my damn choice wether to use restraints to save my own life. Helmets or seatbelts. It's only getting worse unfortunately. Freedom is drifting away.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
As far as I'm concerned drivers who don't want to wear seatbelts and bikers who don't want to wear helmets should carry proof of health insurance, up to, say $50,000. I don't want to pay for their 'freedom'.

SiLlY said:
Amen! The only way those laws should be applied is, if it where directed to minors. That I can understand. Otherwise I believe it should be my damn choice wether to use restraints to save my own life. Helmets or seatbelts. It's only getting worse unfortunately. Freedom is drifting away.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
Better check the figures when you make that kind of statement...besides, it's about freedom of choice...I was apparently under the mistaken impression we were all aboput protecting our freedoms...
I am also in favor of freedom of choice. But when people are making the wrong choices, laws need to be made to protect people from themselves. Making the decision not to wear a helment is making the WRONG choice.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
The one I liked, was the guy who used to ride around Jacksonville, NC on a hopped up chopper, with a big "Helmet Laws Suck" sticker on his mini-half helmet. Right up to the day that he buried the bike in town on Rt 17. That little helmet wasn't much, but it was all that saved his head as he slid into the curb.

I don't like helmet laws either, but it's hard to argue with them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts