V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
I never thought of hitting the kill switch while crashing. It happens so fast that my first thought was oh shittt. One time I was going to work and 2 kids in a Firebird pulled out from a stop sign. The look on the young drivers face was priceless as my GW was pointed at his door. I had time to react and swung around behind him. I figure if I have time to lay it down and slide then I have time to do something else.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
Where is this school that teaches "lay it down and slide"?

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
I have heard a few say that and witnessed one doing it, but the cage stopped and with experience the noob could have rode around the front of the car.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I wonder why they didn't use the standard "They all do that"? Seems to be the easiest way to lay off any responsibility. I hope it wasn't her first bike. My guess that would be where they would like to put the blame.

People are so fragile. One minute, life is good. The next, you get bit. Good Luck.

BTW, you sound like a Brit. Did this happen here in the land of Milk and Honey? Meaning U.S. of A.
yeah I am a Brit and this a her 3rd Harley and is our Ladies of Harley Officer and a very competent rider.
I wonder why they didn't use the standard "They all do that"? Seems to be the easiest way to lay off any responsibility. I hope it wasn't her first bike. My guess that would be where they would like to put the blame.

People are so fragile. One minute, life is good. The next, you get bit. Good Luck.

BTW, you sound like a Brit. Did this happen here in the land of Milk and Honey? Meaning U.S. of A.
Sorry to hear of your incident. I hope her outlook is good for a speedy recovery.

I was thinking I had read some things a while back about folks complaining about TBW "sticking" open and even one case where it allegedly caused a wreck. As I was looking for that, I found this:

View attachment 263617

which I assume is you, posting at the end of a very long list of folks complaining about TBW troubles over the years on Rider magazine's web site. That post says it's a 2010 model and that she had been complaining about how the bike was running prior to the incident. TBW tends to be very responsive. Are you sure she didn't accidentally twist the grip during one of those "lumpy" episodes you mention in that other post?
that was a typo its a 2019 street bob post has been amended.

·
Registered
15,766 Posts
"Where is this school that teaches "lay it down and slide"?"

That's an old and often repeated story.It's good for the inexperienced,uneducated ,and misinformed.
And way too many believe it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Its her 3rd Harley and is a very competent rider, she is also our Chapter Ladies of Harley Officer and yes were Brits.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
True. The ECMs are the little black box of the automotive world.

Somehow I think the solicitors will find that irrelevant. Or should I say plaintiff solicitors.

She has been riding for a few years now, this was her 3rd Harley

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Sorry to hear of your incident. I hope her outlook is good for a speedy recovery.

I was thinking I had read some things a while back about folks complaining about TBW "sticking" open and even one case where it allegedly caused a wreck. As I was looking for that, I found this:

View attachment 263617

which I assume is you, posting at the end of a very long list of folks complaining about TBW troubles over the years on Rider magazine's web site. That post says it's a 2010 model and that she had been complaining about how the bike was running prior to the incident. TBW tends to be very responsive. Are you sure she didn't accidentally twist the grip during one of those "lumpy" episodes you mention in that other post?
that was a typo it was a 2019 street bob.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The Dyna is gone in 2019 I believe. 2018? The 2018 has an electronic throttle. Although I have not heard of any uncommanded throttle issues it is a lot more likely to happen when the throttle is fly by wire VS cable.
my original post was a typo it is infact a 2019 street bob.

·
Registered
433 Posts
OK, I believe you. Yes, I believe you. I really mean I believe you.

Sorry, I can't help you with any possible gremlins in her bike. Every year convinces me more and more that my complete lack of interest in the new, latest and greatest is the right path. This 2000 that I'm riding is almost too new in my opinion. If I didn't plan on it being my last ride, I would probably be looking for my kicks from something about 15 to 30 years older.

BTW, How's she coming along? Broken back can mean a lot of things. I was in the service with guys that suffered a broken back from training. It didn't stop them from going back to full duty after going through the recovery process. Hopefully, there wasn't any kind of concussion involved also.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully your wife makes a quick and full recovery.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have heard of 2 incidents and witnessed 1 of them myself where the rider said thier throttle malfunctioned to the same complaint as your wife about stuck wide opened and caused them to wreck.

Both in my opinion were an embarrassment to admit they over throttled for a rev and popped the clutch out at the same time.

The one I witnessed is what exactly what the guy was doing pulling in a driveway, revving the engine as he glided into the drive, he let go of the clutch and did a one legged hop along with the bike standing up throwing gravel, he pulled the bike away from the patio doors he was heading to and pulled the bike away from the old truck he was heading to and finally the bike lay downed, all the time it was wide open throttle still. So our buddy of the bike calmly walked over to my brother reached down and hit the kill switch. He always argued it was the throttle that acted up.
Back in the 80's I borrowed my friends Suzuki 750 for a beer run. Having only ridden 350cc and below I was not careful enough to feather the throttle and ended up grabbing much more throttle then I expected. My left hand immediately slipped of the clutch handle and found myself hanging only on to the gas as my foot even slipped off the brake pedal in a extreme acceleration in a residential neighborhood heading for a red light. It was not until 1st gear topped out about 60 (?) I was finally able to regain clutch and brake controls just barely stopping in time. God protects drunks and fools. I was double covered.
Hope your wife gets well soon.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts