V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2019 street bob, approx 5k miles.
On sunday whilst turning right into a car park and travelling quite slow the the throttle suddenly opened fully with no input from her shot her like a bullet from a gun into a bush and signpost which stopped the bike dead but through her 10' in the air and she landed the other side of the bush on a kurb stone and consequently is now in hospital with a broken back.
The dealers cannot find anything wrong with throttle system but i hear this has happened before.
Anyone out there got any knowledge of this happening?

·
Registered
30 Posts
On sunday whilst turning right into a car park and travelling quite slow the the throttle suddenly opened fully with no input from her shot her like a bullet from a gun into a bush and signpost which stopped the bike dead but through her 10' in the air and she landed the other side of the bush on a kurb stone and consequently is now in hospital with a broken back.
The dealers cannot find anything wrong with throttle system but i hear this has happened before.
Wow, never heard of that. I hope your wife is ok

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
433 Posts
I wonder why they didn't use the standard "They all do that"? Seems to be the easiest way to lay off any responsibility. I hope it wasn't her first bike. My guess that would be where they would like to put the blame.

People are so fragile. One minute, life is good. The next, you get bit. Good Luck.

BTW, you sound like a Brit. Did this happen here in the land of Milk and Honey? Meaning U.S. of A.

·
Super Moderator
19,561 Posts
First I've heard of something like that happening. I suspect there is data in the system log as to the position of the grip sensor and the values on the tps sensors at the time of the accident.

Now I gotta ask, how long has she been riding, and on that particular scooter? And, when the solicitors get involved, someone is going to ask why she didn't just pull the clutch.

·
Registered
15,771 Posts
First I've heard of something like that happening. I suspect there is data in the system log as to the position of the grip sensor and the values on the tps sensors at the time of the accident.
True. The ECMs are the little black box of the automotive world.

Now I gotta ask, how long has she been riding, and on that particular scooter? And, hen the solicitors get involved, someone is going to ask why she didn't just pull the clutch.
Somehow I think the solicitors will find that irrelevant. Or should I say plaintiff solicitors.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,764 Posts
Sorry to hear of your incident. I hope her outlook is good for a speedy recovery.

I was thinking I had read some things a while back about folks complaining about TBW "sticking" open and even one case where it allegedly caused a wreck. As I was looking for that, I found this:

which I assume is you, posting at the end of a very long list of folks complaining about TBW troubles over the years on Rider magazine's web site. That post says it's a 2010 model and that she had been complaining about how the bike was running prior to the incident. TBW tends to be very responsive. Are you sure she didn't accidentally twist the grip during one of those "lumpy" episodes you mention in that other post?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Does it have cruise control, and did it by any chance have the resume button pushed?

HD lawyers are going to ask why she didn't pull in the clutch, or flick the run switch to "stop", or stomp on the brake to stall/slow the engine, or turn off the key.

If it was issued a command to open, and then the servo broke when it did open, I could see this happening. And this is what you'll need to prove. Hopefully if it does log the last 30 seconds in the ECM, that data has not been lost. Hopefully if the data is present, it will show a grip condition of smallest amount possible, and throttle servo position of maximum which should get you somewhere legally. If that data is no longer present (or never existed) then it may be an uphill battle.

The question is:

Do these ECM's store flash frames for XX seconds, and does it know if there is an impact? In a car, you get about 30 seconds of frames, and I think if the airbag goes off, those frames are protected from the loop recording. If I had my car I could tell you, but the dummies finally picked it up about 2 months ago (yes it sat in impound for 9 months, even after they wrote a check to pay what they were going to pay).

·
Registered
609 Posts
Sorry to hear of your incident. I hope her outlook is good for a speedy recovery.

I was thinking I had read some things a while back about folks complaining about TBW "sticking" open and even one case where it allegedly caused a wreck. As I was looking for that, I found this:

View attachment 263617

which I assume is you, posting at the end of a very long list of folks complaining about TBW troubles over the years on Rider magazine's web site. That post says it's a 2010 model and that she had been complaining about how the bike was running prior to the incident. TBW tends to be very responsive. Are you sure she didn't accidentally twist the grip during one of those "lumpy" episodes you mention in that other post?
I also hope your wife is doing well and will have a speedy recovery...
Whenever I read something like this I think of the Audi situation in the 80's 90's? where the women( I believe ALL of the drivers were women) were running over people swearing they had there foot on the brake where it is fact they were pushing the gas pedal.... Bad times

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I have heard of 2 incidents and witnessed 1 of them myself where the rider said thier throttle malfunctioned to the same complaint as your wife about stuck wide opened and caused them to wreck.

Both in my opinion were an embarrassment to admit they over throttled for a rev and popped the clutch out at the same time.

The one I witnessed is what exactly what the guy was doing pulling in a driveway, revving the engine as he glided into the drive, he let go of the clutch and did a one legged hop along with the bike standing up throwing gravel, he pulled the bike away from the patio doors he was heading to and pulled the bike away from the old truck he was heading to and finally the bike lay downed, all the time it was wide open throttle still. So our buddy of the bike calmly walked over to my brother reached down and hit the kill switch. He always argued it was the throttle that acted up.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
The Dyna is gone in 2019 I believe. 2018? The 2018 has an electronic throttle. Although I have not heard of any uncommanded throttle issues it is a lot more likely to happen when the throttle is fly by wire VS cable.

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,764 Posts
The Dyna is gone in 2019 I believe. 2018? The 2018 has an electronic throttle. Although I have not heard of any uncommanded throttle issues it is a lot more likely to happen when the throttle is fly by wire VS cable.
There is a 2019 Street Bob, it just isn't a Dyna. His other story says it's a 2010 model. Take your pick.

·
Super Moderator
19,561 Posts
Well this all started with Toyota. And that turned out to be driver error. The fix was software that killed the throttle if the brake was pressed and trimming peddles to put more room between the brake and gas. And it exposed the amount a data that ecms were storing.

No with that said, I have seen countless riders run into stuff, with the throttle cranked wide open when they should have been braking. Inexperience and panic. Usually people new to riding, or moving up to a larger scooter before they mastered the little one.

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,764 Posts
Well this all started with Toyota. And that turned out to be driver error. The fix was software that killed the throttle if the brake was pressed and trimming peddles to put more room between the brake and gas. And it exposed the amount a data that ecms were storing.

No with that said, I have seen countless riders run into stuff, with the throttle cranked wide open when they should have been braking. Inexperience and panic. Usually people new to riding, or moving up to a larger scooter before they mastered the little one.
The infamous "panic twist".

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Once the G-force takes over there's very little room left for recovery off the throttle from the most experience riders let alone new ones.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts