V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I got a BAD Sears Yellow jack? See the Video Links at the bottom.

I brought it home tonight, put my Springer on it and could not believe how UNSTABLE this jack is. The bike rocked back and forth at least 6 inches!! The entire frame of the jack was just flexing like crazy!! 100% unacceptable. I cannot imagine even tightning any bolts, as just trying to clean the front wheel make me very (very) uncomfortable!

Back it goes.

Not to mention the problem of getting the thing to lower smoothly! I knew about it so was extremely careful while lowering the bike but this is crazy!

For thoes who do have this jack, did I get a bad one or is this just normal??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QLAB065qj4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO4-UTl5CiQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySDR9ogg6Ac

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I've had the red one for 2 years now, no issues...

·
Premium Member
947 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
yes I know your problem ALL Craftsman jacks are a pice of shi_.. I have a red one and all it is good for is lifting my lawn mower so I can clean the deck .
Spent the bucks and buy a pitbull they are very steddy without straping them down but when you do strap in, I have removed both wheels at the same time on a dresser!!! GREAT JACK!!

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I have and use the Sears yellow jack for my Ultra. Yes it wiggles a little, but nothing that worries me. I raise it and then lower it to one on the stops. Then to get down, I raise it up, release the stop and lower it. I have never had a fast un-controlled drop. I even pushed across the floor while it was up.
I cannot crawl all over my bike like some of the ads show.....but then why would I want to. It does exactly what I need it to do. Gets it off the ground to make cleaning and maintainance easier. I even changed the whole exhaust while it was on it........

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,630 Posts
CaptainChet said:
Maybe I got a BAD Sears Yellow jack? See the Video Links at the bottom.

I brought it home tonight, put my Springer on it and could not believe how UNSTABLE this jack is. The bike rocked back and forth at least 6 inches!! The entire frame of the jack was just flexing like crazy!! 100% unacceptable. I cannot imagine even tightning any bolts, as just trying to clean the front wheel make me very (very) uncomfortable!

Back it goes.

Not to mention the problem of getting the thing to lower smoothly! I knew about it so was extremely careful while lowering the bike but this is crazy!

For thoes who do have this jack, did I get a bad one or is this just normal??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QLAB065qj4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO4-UTl5CiQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySDR9ogg6Ac
I have had and use still my Sears Aluminum and yellow jack. Have used it every week to clean my tires. Used it when I rebuilt my engine because of HD's crappy valve seals, changed both front and rear tires, front and rear brakes. Torqued all kinds of bolts with the jack fully extended. Not a problem was had. And my bike is heavier than yours since it is a FLHRCI.

·
Thanks! I needed that.
3,261 Posts
Also have the "yellow jack" and am very happy with it. Does it wiggle if you purposely shake the bike, yep but that's not why I have the jack. Like others have said, I've used it for cleaning, maintnance (including cranking on the Softail's shocks for adjustment, takes some fair cranking to accomplish) and to keep it off the floor for winter. No problems here. The jack is light, easy to maneuver (including with the bike on it) and for my low slung Deluxe, it's low enough to slide under the frame without having to roll the front tire up on a 2x4 for clearance.

·
Banned
711 Posts
I have one of the yellow jacks and do like it. It does wiggle a little but not a concern. Mine had straps with it if you need to secure it better but I have never used them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to thank everyone who has replied so far. However, I still would like to know if this is 'normal' for this jack or is it excessive? Will exchanging it for another be the same?

Regarding tying down the bike; I don't think that would solve the flexing of the jack, it certainly would make knowing the bike will not fall off the jack. But the flexing really bothers me, I'm wondering if the thing will just bend and collapse.

·
Banned
711 Posts
To answer that question, yes, mine would do that if I rocked it as you did. I just have no reason to do so.

FYI, if I put a truck rack under the center of my truck, raised two wheels then jumped on the fender, it too would rock. I don't think you have anything to worry about. But that's just my opinion.

·
Site Sponsor
62 Posts
Not to be a smart azz but why would you shake your bike when its lifted? I have a Sears red jack and I would imagine if I shook it like that it would so the same thing but I am not about to do that with my scoot sitting on it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BadX said:
Not to be a smart azz but why would you shake your bike when its lifted? I have a Sears red jack and I would imagine if I shook it like that it would so the same thing but I am not about to do that with my scoot sitting on it.
WELL (and not to be a smart azz back), I shook it like that for the video, it almost shook like that when I was cleaning the rear tire. If you haven't tried testing YOUR jack for stability, then you are certainly taking chances (IMHO).

Would you take the rear tire off your bike on your Sears Red jack??

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
My yellow jack does the same thing. I think it's the nature of the beast.

You have to decide if its excessive for you.

I just ensure that I have the bike strapped down good before I go doing too much that is going to disturb the bike. Once I have it strapped down, I push it aournd the garage on the jack with no problem.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
I haven't seen or used the yellow jack. Looking at the videos that the Captain posted, it doesn't look as wide as the red jack. I have the red jack and it doesn't seem to be as bad as that. I've had both wheels off all three of my bikes with the red one and never had a problem. One thing I've never had to do, even changing tires, is to have it up in it's fully extended position. I just get it up far enough to get the tire to clear the rear fender. The higher it is, the more top heavy and I wouldn't want the scooters to come crashing down in the kitchen floor.

·
Finally
839 Posts
CaptainChet said:
WELL (and not to be a smart azz back), I shook it like that for the video, it almost shook like that when I was cleaning the rear tire. If you haven't tried testing YOUR jack for stability, then you are certainly taking chances (IMHO).

Have removed my wheels on the Road Glide more than once while on this type of jack. No catastrophic failures and I was not ever worried about it. If you don't like it take it back and buy what you want. Seems you have your mind made up what you want to do...

·
Seasonably Uncool
428 Posts
Hi Chet!

I have the red craftsman jack and it doesn´t flex like that. I don´t like it nonetheless. I would not have the confidence to work on a bike sitting on a lift when it´s moving like that!

I got myself a jack from J&S. The bike sits on it rock solid and I don´t need any stupid adapters to put my Dyna on it. I also got the oil drain pan for the lift. I can highly recommend both products and the company. No, the lift is not cheap, but as has been said before: Does it really make sense to put a $20k bike on $50 lift and risk wrecking it? I wouldn´t want to do without it anymore.

Check them out here

Sponk

·
<><
3,971 Posts
CaptainChet said:

I use a red jack (looks just like the Sears, but I bought it at Costco), and haven't had any stability problems. Yes, I would take off the tires and regularly do so. When it's strapped down, it's rock solid. I'm with you, I tested it before starting to work on the bike. If it falls, you're going to get hurt no matter where you are.

The tripod stance of the yellow jack concerns me, and now that I've seen yours I'm convinced more than ever to stay with what I have. I've had this one for 5 years, and not a hint of trouble. I do set the locks when the bike is up.

I also get up on it without hesitation when sizing position of the bars and pegs or a few other misc tasks. It's solid.

EDIT: Just watched the J&S video. Mine is the same basic construction, but not as solid as theirs. Nice jack - especially the oil pan. It's a little lower than mine too. If I were starting fresh, that would be my choice (I just might upgrade!)

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I have the J&S also. Great sturdy jack. I trust it, that's what matters. No matter what anyone says about your yellow jack it's pretty obvious you don't trust it. I'd change it and be done with it. I like the J&S because it's wide, has big wheels and it's built like an anvil. It's sturdy at all locked levels. No suprise as well when you lower it, nice, slow and smooth when done correctly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts