V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have yet to see anything posted on a Victory bike. Does anyone have one? Does anyone have a opinion on the bike itself? Are they a good allternative to a Harley? Is the Victory bike a taboo subject here:eek:

Opps, I see I put this in the wrong forum:(

·
Registered
54 Posts
Victory motorcycle would be my second choice. On Victory digest one guy
reported he had over 100,000 miles on his in 4 years.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yeah, I'd like to see that company succeed. We have a dealer pretty close to us too, Markcuda. Just south of here, have you been down there to check it out yet ?

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
I browse a site - http://www.thevmc.com/ - and post. The early bikes had some problems with transmissions and some electrical. But, hey. they're only 4 - 5 years old and that's the norm for a start-up company/bike, right.

Some complaints about dealers not wanting to help get problems resolved(hhhmmm.....WHERE have I heard that before? :p) and a little problem getting help from Polaris(parent company money behind Victory). But all in all, most of the people love their bikes and would never swap. Same kind of response as harley riders.

I went to local dealer in Conyers, GA and they had some bikes on floor. Some were 2002 and some older ones which haven't sold yet. They were offering very good financing on the bikes(I guess to move them). And even offered me a test ride. Since I was just looking, I didn't want to waste their time.

They just announced a new bike - Vegas - that looks very similar to another 'V' bike just released to the masses.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
A friend of mine got a great deal on a 2001 Victory "Sport" model and he loves it (although a little too plan for me), in 2002 there were some major improvements (oil cooler, tranny, electrical, engine increase in horsepower) and the new 2003 Vegas is a good looking bike.

I think a Victory would be a fine bike, but could never be a "Harley" as "Harley" has a 100 year jump start on that whole "hearatage" thingie.

Again, a fine bike, not very high resale value, but American Made!

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fugly, I think the Victory dealer is in Vandalia, but no I have not been down there, I think i'm stuck on getting a Harley:) I think every man should have a Harley before he dies:eek: I could die tomorrow and I would of missed out;)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Interesting, say one pulled over today (as my friend was riding his with me up in Northern Maryland) with an engine that seized?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
686 Posts
I think Polaris is trying to do the same thing with the Victory that they do with the sleds you can order them with a lot of different options to personalize them, I like the idea it would be cool to order a Harley just the way you want it, as long as you don't have to spend an extra $5 gs.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Heard a rumor this weekend that Arlen Ness is getting involved with Victory. That would make for some interesting machines.

·
Banned
490 Posts
You pays your money and you takes your chances...

There's nothing inherently wrong with the Victory bikes. They make a cruiser-style motorcycle that is in many ways comparable with similar Harley models. There have been some quality issues in past years, but I think that is probably true of just about every motorcycle manufacturer that ever existed.

The problem as I see it is this: there really isn't much of a price difference between a Victory and a Harley. Resale values on Harley-Davidson motorcycles are among the best in the automotive world. Resale values on bikes like the Victory (and Indian, etc.) are just not that good. So your overally cost of ownership is going to most likely be much higher on the Victory. You also are not going to find nearly as many dealers who have parts in stock, or mechanics trained to work on them.

Lastly, Victory is part of Polaris. Now Polaris is a fine company, and have been very successful with their snowmobiles and ATVS - but at present motorcycles are just a rounding error on their financial statement. Victory has been losing money for several years - and I guess I question how commited the senior management at Polaris is going to be to a company that manages to lose money on every bike they sell (you could ask the same question of Harley and Buell..) I strongly suspect that the cruiser-style motorcycle market may cool off in the next several years, due to a) over capacity and saturation of the market and b) demographic aging of the motorcycle-buying population. If Victory hasn't been able to make money during a boom in the market, how likely are they to be successful when things get bad?

If you want to buy a classic-styled bike that's American-made, by an American company; but for whatever reason you just don't want a Harley - then I guess Victory is a pretty good choice.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Last week my wife and I attended the Las Vegas Bike Fest and the Victory display had the new Vegas model, their factory custom. This is really a nice looking bike! Anyone a little short in the inseam will love the style and fit, my wife said it was the best feeling cycle she has sat on. A little pricey at $15899 plus add ons, but finally they have a model that looks integrated. The new engine has some great power pulses, too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts