V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could any of you "Lone Star" riders give me any info about Victoria TX.- in regards to it being a good/bad place in which to retire . I'm looking for small town atmosphere, mostly good weather, close to the water, friendly folk and a good riding area. Thanks

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Victoria is a decent place just down the road from me. Why not give a look to Corpus Christi which is the place I call home and to me a great place to retire. Cost of living is very reasonable and we have just about anything you might want to do. PM me if interested form a link to some local web info or just google it for the chamber of commerce, housing and other points of interest. But back to your question I see no reason Victoria would not be a nice place to live.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Road Glider said:
Victoria is a decent place just down the road from me. Why not give a look to Corpus Christi which is the place I call home and to me a great place to retire. Cost of living is very reasonable and we have just about anything you might want to do. PM me if interested form a link to some local web info or just google it for the chamber of commerce, housing and other points of interest. But back to your question I see no reason Victoria would not be a nice place to live.
Thanks Road Glider, I appreciate the information. I lived three years in Dallas in the 60's and love Texas. I now live in Tucson AZ, which is nice but the summers are too hot. I want to find a place where the cost of living and housing is still affordable for the average guy and near the water ...like to fish. I'll do a web search and maybe plan a trip down in the future. No better way to get to know a place than to go step in it a while.:thanks:

·
Registered
769 Posts
braun99 said:
Thanks Road Glider, I appreciate the information. I lived three years in Dallas in the 60's and love Texas. I now live in Tucson AZ, which is nice but the summers are too hot. I want to find a place where the cost of living and housing is still affordable for the average guy and near the water ...like to fish. I'll do a web search and maybe plan a trip down in the future. No better way to get to know a place than to go step in it a while.:thanks:

Port isabel isnt bad either .....you can buy alot of house down there for the money with gulf access .....rat

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Victoria would make a good retirement location. Housing is a lot less expensive than it is in the coastal cities. You have first class medical facilities in town, with multiples to choose from. The city is big enough for amenities that you want, but not so big that traffic and crime have begun to become problems. There is great fishing n Port O'Connor on the gulf 45 minutes away, or several freshwater lakes and river systems even closer. IF you need your big city fix, Houston or San Antonio are about 2 hrs away. I'd retire there before I would the coastal cities, and I own land in Port O'Connor. The medical care is better, and you have less worry of flooding from the next big hurricane being 60 miles inland.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for all the good advice.I plan a recon trip first of the year to scout out and get a feel for the different areas.

·
Registered
769 Posts
AustinFXDWG said:
Victoria would make a good retirement location. Housing is a lot less expensive than it is in the coastal cities. You have first class medical facilities in town, with multiples to choose from. The city is big enough for amenities that you want, but not so big that traffic and crime have begun to become problems. There is great fishing n Port O'Connor on the gulf 45 minutes away, or several freshwater lakes and river systems even closer. IF you need your big city fix, Houston or San Antonio are about 2 hrs away. I'd retire there before I would the coastal cities, and I own land in Port O'Connor. The medical care is better, and you have less worry of flooding from the next big hurricane being 60 miles inland.

I have to agree ,, victoria is a decent place ,, and they do have a HD dealer.........If we end up getting a late start on our ride back to michigan from port isabel we have stayed in victoria a few times.......harlingen isnt bad either ,, south texas is a great place to retire for sure ..... rat

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Victoria is sweet and if you get down there, swing over a little to the east toward Port Lavaca. On the coast and not as expensive as Rockport or Corpus and all are a good day trip. Pass through Port Aransas, great little town.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
AustinFXDWG said:
I have been in Corpus Christi for 26 years and in all that time no direct hits or big damage from storms. I know it may come here but to me enjoying the beauty of the bay and the gulf of mexico on a daily basis more than compensates for the potential risk of a storm. Victoria is a nice place but for me seeing sights like the one below everyday are where it is at for me.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Road Glider said:
I have been in Corpus Christi for 26 years and in all that time no direct hits or big damage from storms. I know it may come here but to me enjoying the beauty of the bay and the gulf of mexico on a daily basis more than compensates for the potential risk of a storm. Victoria is a nice place but for me seeing sights like the one below everyday are where it is at for me.

========================================================================
I gotta agree ,,,, nothing like being on the water, and nothing like south texas...... Hopfully in the next couple years i will sell the place in michigan and move into the port isabel house ......I am glad i made the investment in the property when i did......prices have been going up ,, but its still the cheapest gulf access property in the country ..... rat

·
Registered
87 Posts
victoria is a decent town. i lived there for a little over 2 years and now i live down in port oconnor, which has some of the best fishing around. as far as a place to retire, i guess it would be allright but im only 21 and gotta long way to go before that happens. all in all its not a bad place, and the people at the shop in victoria are good people.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Port O'Connor is my home away from home. I spend every weekend I can down there.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got back from a week long trip from Tucson to Texas. What a GREAT state! I would have reservations about riding I-10 at night from Fort Stockton toward San Antonio [or reverse]. Counted 70 deer carcasses along a two hundred mile stretch. Checked out Fredericksburg [very german but with my name... I fit right in.] Dropped down to Corpus Christi [very nice city] Stayed a night in Port Aransas then headed to Port Lavaca and Victoria before heading home. I have a lot to mull over but liked what I saw. Thanks again for all the good info.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Cool glad you liked the area. You are right to beware of the deer at this time of year especially at night. There are way too many of them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts