V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone and thank you for any input on this subject... I just purchased a 2012 Road King with 3100 miles, pretty much a plain Jane with Rinehart slip-ons. When cruising there is no vibration but when I down shift and start slowing down I feel a vibration a a certain Rpm, I would guess between 1800-1500 Rpm and will occur going down in any gear BUT goes completely away when dis-engaging the clutch... This is not an lugging situation, any help or guidance would be well appreciated. Thought I was buying a solid ride.

· Make me use my bullet?
13,919 Posts
Hello to everyone and thank you for any input on this subject... I just purchased a 2012 Road King with 3100 miles, pretty much a plain Jane with Rinehart slip-ons. When cruising there is no vibration but when I down shift and start slowing down I feel a vibration a a certain Rpm, I would guess between 1800-1500 Rpm and will occur going down in any gear BUT goes completely away when dis-engaging the clutch... This is not an lugging situation, any help or guidance would be well appreciated. Thought I was buying a solid ride.
Hmmm, what's another word for lugging?

I'm sensing deja vu.

· Registered
10,228 Posts
anytime you drop the rpm that low, without stopping,,, you are LUGGING. I know you don't think you are,,, but you are...
I recommend never letting the rpm fall below 2200-2500, while in motion..
a Harley engine is a 2 cylinder odd firing not quite balanced engine,,, 315 and 405 degrees rotation firings,,, when the revs drop they vibrate,,, some more than others,, since the balance isnt quite the same on every one, but all vibrate... I balance my engine's internally so, vibration is at a minimum..

· Registered
2,341 Posts
The two vtwins that I own both have an inherent vibration right around that rpm, you can feel it in neutral by revving up past that spot and letting it return to idle. To me this is normal and to me I keep the motor spinning at 2000 or above because I can feel that it is working better up there.

· Registered
569 Posts
If you COASTING through this rpm range while slowing, there is no way this is "lugging", however if you are starting to accelerate again, it depends on how much throttle you are adding. ASSUMING you are coasting, I would suspect a mild misfire. You have a VERY LOW mileage bike for that age and I would suspect varnish in the fuel system from old gas at some point in its history. A fuel system/injector cleaner is an inexpensive experiment along with checking spark plug condition. Caution: cans of fuel system cleaner are sized for about 16 gallons of fuel in a car gas tank, you have 6 gallons, do the math and mix it in the proper proportion or you could do more damage than good. One can of cleaner would treat about three full tanks. If that doesn't help, you have a different problem. IF you are trying to accelerate back to the speed limit through this rpm range, you are lugging and that is your problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.