V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I justed wanted to pass on some information to everyone. I have a 2005 Dyna Low rider. Ever since I purchased th ebile i have felt that it has more vibration than it should and more than other Dynas I have riden. Atthe 1000 mile service I had the stealer check it out. They said everything checked out fine. I had checked lmost evrything accept the top engine stabilizer. Basically I waited on this because the dealer told me they checked it and it is a pain inthe ass to get too. I do the complete alignment procedure and then pull the tank and check the top engine stabilzer. It is way off by 6 full turns. I also noticed that the ends wre pulling out and the busings in the ends looked shot. After getting the length correct i replaced this with a velva ride top engine stabilzer.The bile os much smother now and rides like I feel a Dyna should. I am not sure if the velva ride is making the differecne or if it is justthe fact that the top engine stabilizer is now properly adjusted and is not damaged. If you have a dyna and feel the vibrations are more than they should be due the alignmnet procedure and check that top mount! Do not rely on your stealer. I have a feeling they never checked this because it is a pain and the tank needs to be removed to do so. If the mount the mount is way off give it a good inspection because I also beleive that if you have been runningth ebile with that mount misaligned that mount may fail. If you do decide to replace it the velva ride mount is clearer a better made mount that appears much sturdier and may also help smoth out the ride as they claim it acts as a small shock aborber. I hope this helps someone else who maybe frusted with the vibs from their bike. I am also posting a link to an article on nightrider that shows youhow to make a center bike lift for $20. I made one and it works. Made mine for $21.34 and that included a 1 3/8" speed bore drill bit. I am goingh to post thi slink in the tecj section as well.
www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

·
Registered
435 Posts
Neat looking lift. I think half the parts are in the back of the garage.

Tim

·
Registered
236 Posts
Dres22,
What is the alignment procedure of which you speak? How would I recognize if my top eng stabilizer is out?
Thanks
Fred

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alignment

The procedure is in the service manuel. If you do not have one I would suggest you get one It is full of great information. Start by checking rear wheel to make sure it is centered. If it is and your bike tracks true then you check the upper engine stabilzer mount. The tank needs to be removed or at minimum lifted. Pull the stabilzer bolt on the non exhaust side of the motor. If the mounting hole for the stabilzer does not line up directly so that the bolts drops in easly you adjust the stabilzer untill it does. Check the stabilzer first for damage. I have a feeling that if the stabilzer is way out of alignment for a peroid of time the rubber bushings get torn at least mine was torn. Tighten back to specs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts