V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 deuce EFI with 15000 miles, has always ran good. I take very good care of it, I do low mileage oil and filter changes and it is always clean and lookng good. But, now have a vibration at 3500 and past to 4000 +. Its a good buzz at handlebars, foot pegs and seat, felt strong at the crouch. It starts coming on at 70 mph in 5 th gear. Or you can be sitting on the bike in the driveway in neautral, and take the revs slowly to 3500 and past and feel this dam vibration. Very noticeable. No noises. Engine still runs at full power. At normal street driving , no problem, unless I'm at 3500 rpm - 4000. Any ideas?? To me it don't sound good..Now if this was an Iron Head Sporty I would not give it a second thought..Any ideas or thoughts ??? Thanks:
:crying:

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Check your compensator nut.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Any one want to bet that it is a balancer sprocket that has moved on the crank?? Have you ever missed a shift?? hard down shift and really wound the motor up on the down shift?? I have seen the spin for no reason and I have seen ones that by all rights should have spun. A few ways to make sure they done move again( the new ones are keys) they are only pressed on you can use bearing retainer or tig them in three spots to the crank. They stay then!!

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
:bowdwn: I ain't bettin' against you! :whistle:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
HDWRENCH said:
Any one want to bet that it is a balancer sprocket that has moved on the crank?? Have you ever missed a shift?? hard dwon shift and really wound the motor up on the down shift?? I have seen the spin for no reason and I have seen ones that by all rights should have spun. A few ways to make sure they done move again( the new ones are keys) they are only pressed on you can use bearing retainer or tig them in three spots to the crank. They stay then!!
I do down shift hard, like going down the freeway, I'll down shift to 4 th and hit WOT like a passing gear if someone is in my way.
How do you verify that it is the balancer, where talking major tear down and $$$$. I would have to agree with you but it would be nice to verify that problem. Any info on that ???:huh:
Also what about just riding it with the vibration, will it cause other problems, or just be like the older bikes where you live with it??? Thanks Man !!!

UPDATE: Bike has been at the Harley Dealer to check this problem out, I just found out that they had 3 Techs check it and and was taken for a 20 mile ride (DAM !!!) and they find nothing out of the ordinary. I mentioned balancer slipping on sprocket, they weren't going for it. They swear its running properly. Well I know my bike and I know that it vibrates more than before. Guess I'll have to live with it.....for now

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Some are like that new!!

Last Sept I was looking to upgrade from a Dyna and tried out a 2006 Softtail classic that had 600 mi on it. Someone bought it and traded it right back in for a Roadking. Bike ran nice until about 70mph and started to vibrate, I took it back and bought the Roadking. I assumed (which usually gets me in trouble) that all Softtails were like that but I guess that some do and some don't. I am smarter than to bet against HDWrench as to what the problem was but I know that some Softails are like that from the get-go.:huh:

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
The "b" motor are common on the balancer issue, I was only kidding on the betting thing guys I am learning new things every day." A" motors,.. things I look for in a vibration are front mount , out of alignment, exhaust on both "a" and "b" . Take care guys

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HDWRENCH said:
The "b" motor are common on the balancer issue, I was only kidding on the betting thing guys I am learning new things every day." A" motors,.. things I look for in a vibration are front mount , out of alignment, exhaust on both "a" and "b" . Take care guys

Thanks for your input HD, all good and appreciated man !!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
tractorhunter said:
Last Sept I was looking to upgrade from a Dyna and tried out a 2006 Softtail classic that had 600 mi on it. Someone bought it and traded it right back in for a Roadking. Bike ran nice until about 70mph and started to vibrate, I took it back and bought the Roadking. I assumed (which usually gets me in trouble) that all Softtails were like that but I guess that some do and some don't. I am smarter than to bet against HDWrench as to what the problem was but I know that some Softails are like that from the get-go.:huh:
Hey tractor;
the Harley dealer told me to try one of there trade in Deuces to see that it will do the same vibrations as mine. So they were pulling out an 05 but I happen to see an 02 deuce with 4000 less miles than mine, and asked for that one, We let it warm up for bit, than I got on it and in neutral slowly took the R's up. It had no tach, but I went by sound on the RPM's and took up to I would say somewhere in the 3000 range and and a little higher, it did exactly the same vibration as mine....... So I'll say for now, over and done......
I thank ALL you Guys for your help !!!
Anybody into hot chevys?? visit www.smokinchevy.com

·
Recon
839 Posts
I had that damn Buzz in my 03 Fatboy... i put a 98 kit and gear drive cams and got rid of a whole lot of the vibes,,, but still noticeable now and then. Still a fun bike but it did bug me.

·
Now a bagger boy
156 Posts
I had an 02 softail standard that the buz would start about 65mph and hit the peak about 75 and stay the same to 100 plus. It always did it. At 23k sold it and got a road king.

comando

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:chopper: :chopper: That F'ing Buzz, live with it or sell it I guess. Have the gear drive cams in mind...
Bitchin day in So. Cal.. My 2 wheel ride is waiting for me out front. Later:chopper:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts