V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new Street Glide and at about 700mi I noticed that at 70mph I am getting a vibration throughout the whole bike and it stops at 72mph or if I slow down to around 68mph. When I got off the hwy and started riding locally whenever I got to approx 2850rpm I got the same vibration regardless of what gear I was in. I just dropped it off at the dealer yesterday for 1000mi service and I told them about it but havn't heard anything yet.......Any ideas or anyone else having the same problem?
Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
reg26 said:
I have a brand new Street Glide and at about 700mi I noticed that at 70mph I am getting a vibration throughout the whole bike and it stops at 72mph or if I slow down to around 68mph. When I got off the hwy and started riding locally whenever I got to approx 2850rpm I got the same vibration regardless of what gear I was in. I just dropped it off at the dealer yesterday for 1000mi service and I told them about it but havn't heard anything yet.......Any ideas or anyone else having the same problem?
Thanks
i have the EXACT same thing on my '05 eglide. adjusted the primary chain, to no avail. had the dealer check it out and still nothing. if you find the problem, LET ME KNOW!!!!!!!!!#@SasF# #@SasF#

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you guys have the problem at the same RPM as I do?

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Hey guys did any of you make any exhaust mods to the bike yet? Just asking because I have seen a couple bike that changed the headpipes and it ended up rubbing on the floorboards and/OR the brake levers. I have noticed that the billet brake lever from harley really tightens up the clearence there. Otherwise just make a quick check of the front mount.......hope this helps someone..

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Have them check the motor mount. Alot of them have been tearing on the Street Glides with under a 1000 miles on them. I know two guys that I ride with that both had that problem. And I have also read about it here.

Worth a look anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your input. All I did to the exhaust is put SE slip-ons on and I thought it could be a motor mount but didn't know how to check that but the dealer has it now.....I'll keep ya all posted on what they say. The worst thing that can happen is that they say everything is fine and there is nothing wrong with it.....that will suck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Make sure you check your exhaust mounting. I'd suggest loosening the entire exhaust, then retightening from the front (head flanges) to the back. I've noticed that small adjustments to exhaust mountings make big differences in vibrations.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I picked up the bike this evening and the vibration is still there and the tech said he didn't feel anything. Not that its mind shattering or anything but there is a noticeable vibration right at 2850rpm in all gears. It's easy to detect at 70mph cause your on the hwy and can slowly go up and down thru the rpm range. I tried looking at the motor mounts but I cant tell if there broke or not....Would it be obvious if they were? I'm gonna check the exhaust bolts in the morning. Crap, just what I was afraid I was going to here is what I heard..... Ain't nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Same unusual vibration here on an 04 RG. Right at 70-72mph get an annoying vibration through the floor boards-can't feel it in the seat or bars. Did the 10K service myself double-checking all torque settings on all the engine mounts. Nothing unusual. Gonna try one of the auto adjusting primary chain tensioners next as the stock setup is a PIA.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
To check your motor mount from the top:

In front of the oil filter at the front of the bike you'll see the front engine mount plate. Get down to eye level with it and the plate should have about 3/16" of a gap between it and the large rubber mount. If the plate is resting directly on the rubber mount, what has happened is the inner collar or sleeve has ripped away from the rubber and has collapsed. This inner collar is suspended in the rubber to give you maximum cushion. If it collapses or rips away from the rubber mount core, your engine mount plate rests directly on the mount, therefore transferring the vibration over a larger mass which makes the ride uncomfortable.

From the underside:

Look at where the motor mount bolt comes out at the bottom. You have a nut and large washer. Now just above the washer is the mount collar/sleeve that is supposed to be fused to the rubber of the inner core of the mount. If you see tears or any cracks than the mount is toast.

Look at my mount here:
http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthread.php?t=58363&page=2&highlight=motor+mount

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks timbo, I'll check that when I get home from work tonight. I must say though that when I take my hands off the bars my bike tracks perfectly streight and when riding it doesn't pull to the left or right, it handles perfectly. That was a REALLY interesting thread...I don't know if i could do that myself though. Thanks again

·
Cheesehead
262 Posts
Mine is at 2500. Been there since the 1000 mile when they put Syn3 in. I also get a rattle sound at that rpm. My dealer also stated all is well, these are noisy beasts. Been around mechanical things my whole life, this is my first Harley though. The sounds coming from this engine are wrong. Don't care what anyone says. Not sure how much longer I'll put up with it. I wonder if Honda will introduce a completely american manufactured VTX Interstate similar to my old Valkyrie Interstate.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well this isn't an engine noise...I'm used to those as long as you know what they are and that they are normal. this is a weird vibration that encompasses the whole bike at a particular RPM and then leaves as fast as it came as soon as you get away from 2850. It's not harsh or dangerous but it's definitely there and a real PIA on the hwy especially when your with another bike and everyone wants to cruise at 70

·
Registered
60 Posts
Timbo...thanks for the tip. I have right at a hair less than 1/16" between the top mounting plate and the rubber. No noticeable tears but will put on a new mount ASAP.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Isn't 2850, or so, the rpm at which EPA testing is performed? I think it is, which means that's where the engine is running at its worst (as far as performance is concerned.) After proper jetting it should go away.

I seem to recall my first two H-Ds running rough around this same rpm when stock.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not sure about that. I had the stage I breather kit and exhaust installed before I picked it up so the carb was rejeted already.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
i had posted this back in September...i was out one morning putting on some miles(had 850) so i could get the 1000 mile service done before going to York...I slowed down and turned off US 30 onto 711 south and there it was...at 2200 - 2500 rpm. this road has a lot of triaxle traffic, so at first i thought it was the road surface.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I have a 2005 Dyna. Had the same problem. My vibea were around 2800 untill I chnaged exhaust. It then movedto around 2000. I think different exhuast tones can create vibs at different speeds. Something about harminc waves being the same as the engine vibartion waves? I had the stealer check at 1000 mile service told me everthing was fine. My bike tracked true as an arrow. I went through the alignment procedure and then removed my tank to check the top engine stabilizer (mount). Found it was way off. Needed 6 turns to get it so that the front bolt would slide right in as per the manual. Upon inspection of the mount found tears at the front and back bushings. I beleive they came from it being misalligned. I replaced it with a velva ride. This made a big difference. The vib is still there but not to where it bothers me. I am not sure if the velva ride would make a difference from a factory engine stabilizer that is in good shape and aligned corecetly. I do think the velva ride is of higher quality. It is said to have a smal internal shock absorder that elminates any metal to metal contact to help smoth things out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts