V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2002 Custom. Any other owners have luck reducing the bar vibration? I am told that foam grips and short stem mirrors will do the trick.:rolleyes:

Love my ride........can't see a darn thing behind me,.,.,..

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
2003 XL 1200 S here....with short stem mirrors. Some speeds are okay seeing with the mirrors, some are awful. I'm sure the longer the mirror stem the worse the vibes. I don't know the answer.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
The long stem mirrors with drag bars, stock on the Custom, look cool but aren't functional. Most people have such vibration that they can't see out of the mirrors at speeds over 40-50 mph.

Lisa had a 1200 XLC. We first went with short stemmed mirrors. Some relief. Then she got rid of the drag bars, kept the short stemmed mirrors and went with iso-grips. Considerable improvement.

What she gave up in "cool", she regained in ride and function.

It's your choice. Your riding style may dictate what route you take. The drag bars with long stemmed mirrors are definitely "cool"--just not very functional for longer rides or highway speeds. If your driving style is mostly short trips around town, at low speeds, you'll be able to live the stock "cool" look.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
[QUOTE
Lisa had a 1200 XLC. We first went with short stemmed mirrors. Some relief. Then she got rid of the drag bars, kept the short stemmed mirrors and went with iso-grips. Considerable improvement. [/B][/QUOTE]

Sounds good, but what are iso-grips? H-D item or aftermarket? Where are they available? Thanks.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Have also heard of different people using the BarSnake in their handlebars to quell vibration. Might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
255 Posts
ronf said:
Have also heard of different people using the BarSnake in their hand
lebars to quell vibration. Might be worth looking into.
BarSnake???

·
Registered
413 Posts
If he's talking about the same thing I think he is, a bar snake is a gooey, stretchy thingy you put in your bars. You stretch it out nice and thin, pull it through your bars, and then when you let it go, it expands inside your bars. It works quite well to dampen vibrations according to my friend, she had it done to her shovelhead.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Honkylips said:
If he's talking about the same thing I think he is, a bar snake is a gooey, stretchy thingy you put in your bars. You stretch it out nice and thin, pull it through your bars, and then when you let it go, it expands inside your bars. It works quite well to dampen vibrations according to my friend, she had it done to her shovelhead.
Interesting. And where would one find a drunken reptile such as this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts