V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I would add the word ‘of’ to remove any confusion if you desired to.
Who cares, go down to PISC on a Friday afternoon and walk around. It’s nothing but a swarm of Proud Father, Mother and Girlfriend of shirts everywhere.
No one has ever asked for my autograph when I walk out of the house in my Curt Schilling game jersey so YMMV

Sent from a handheld item of convenience

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
On that note, I'll ask your opinion. On the front of my vest right side about where the pocket would be, I have the Marine Corp emblem and right above it I have the words "Proud Son". Do you think that might still be wrong in the eyes of vets?

I ask because I've had vets come up to me and say Semper Fi and when I point out that it was my dad that served, and I point to the "Proud Son" part, some seem a bit miffed.

I know it's not stolen valor the way I'm doing it, and I meant it only as respect to my dad. But I still wonder if I should be sporting that patch at all.
IMO , if It's a standard round USMC emblem , and you added the 'Proud Son' part , yes , it looks like you want people to think you are a Marine. Especially hanging around a Vets organization.

If it's one of the patches sold with ''Proud Parent of US Marine '' integral , well , , , ok.

And badges of rank (stripes/chevrons), collar devices , wings , special training or forces emblems , medals/ribbons , etc , are definitely a no-no. :nono:

I have several patches , insignias and pins related to my Navy service on my jacket. But I earned every one of them.
My father was a decorated WWII Army vet. I do not wear any of his decorations or awards , or an Army insignia.

Some time ago , someone who knew I was in the Navy gave me a mint WWII-era gold-fouled anchor with silver USN on it. A Chief Petty Officers collar device. But I could not wear it. I only made Petty Officer 2nd Class. I passed it on to another VFW member and sailor who was a CPO.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
IMO , if It's a standard round USMC emblem , and you added the 'Proud Son' part , yes , it looks like you want people to think you are a Marine. Especially hanging around a Vets organization.

If it's one of the patches sold with ''Proud Parent of US Marine '' integral , well , , , ok.

And badges of rank (stripes/chevrons), collar devices , wings , special training or forces emblems , medals/ribbons , etc , are definitely a no-no. :nono:

I have several patches , insignias and pins related to my Navy service on my jacket. But I earned every one of them.
My father was a decorated WWII Army vet. I do not wear any of his decorations or awards , or an Army insignia.

Some time ago , someone who knew I was in the Navy gave me a mint WWII-era gold-fouled anchor with silver USN on it. A Chief Petty Officers collar device. But I could not wear it. I only made Petty Officer 2nd Class. I passed it on to another VFW member and sailor who was a CPO.
Thanks for the thoughts. I think I'm going to remove it. It is the official emblem and I had a patch sowed on right above it that says Proud Son. The last thing I would ever want to do is disrespect a vet.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you're looking for Veteran groups, you could try Patriot Guard Riders. They usually have things to do, but since I work, I can't go on many of the things they have going on, especially during the week, since I have to work. If you've got time on your hands, check them out. I'm sure they'd be happy to have you help out.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Bullsheet.

Obama signed the legislation, the Supreme Court ruled against the penalties, calling them unconstitutional.

Blame the black guy, rinse, repeat.
The Stolen Valor Act of 2013 (Pub.L. 113–12; H.R. 258) is a United States federal law that was passed by the 113th United States Congress. The law amends the federal criminal code to make it a crime for a person to fraudulently claim having received a valor award specified in the Act, with the intention of obtaining money, property, or other tangible benefit by convincing another that he or she received the award.

The current federal law is a revised version of a previous statute struck down by the Supreme Court of the United States in United States v. Alvarez. In Alvarez the Supreme Court ruled the arrest and prosecution of a citizen for wearing unearned military awards, who did so without criminal intent, violates their constitutional right to freedom of speech.

end paste>

The supreme court ruled against the penalties in 2012. Those penalties were part of the Stolen Valor Act of 2005. Which made it a crime to represent yourself as earning the medals.

What Obama did was made it only a crime if you're misrepresenting yourself for monetary gain.

He did so in 2013, I believe

·
Registered
601 Posts
The Stolen Valor Act of 2013 (Pub.L. 113–12; H.R. 258) is a United States federal law that was passed by the 113th United States Congress. The law amends the federal criminal code to make it a crime for a person to fraudulently claim having received a valor award specified in the Act, with the intention of obtaining money, property, or other tangible benefit by convincing another that he or she received the award.

The current federal law is a revised version of a previous statute struck down by the Supreme Court of the United States in United States v. Alvarez. In Alvarez the Supreme Court ruled the arrest and prosecution of a citizen for wearing unearned military awards, who did so without criminal intent, violates their constitutional right to freedom of speech.

end paste>

The supreme court ruled against the penalties in 2012. Those penalties were part of the Stolen Valor Act of 2005. Which made it a crime to represent yourself as earning the medals.

What Obama did was made it only a crime if you're misrepresenting yourself for monetary gain.

He did so in 2013, I believe
Obama didn't "make it" anything.

Obama signed legislation written by the house and approved by the senate.

...you know the congress with a GOP majority in the house writing the law ?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I suspect so... Not like obama ever did anything to undermine the Country, its Constitution or people. Just sayin'.
What we're missing is the fact that everything that happens in this country right now is Trump's fault. The actions of citizens being unruly is trump's fault. mass shootings, stabbings, protests....Because he's the president!!

But, in the previous Admin, that same rule did not apply.

Sorry for stinking up the thread. I knew better than to engage, but I did anyway.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
What we're missing is the fact that everything that happens in this country right now is Trump's fault. The actions of citizens being unruly is trump's fault. mass shootings, stabbings, protests....Because he's the president!!

But, in the previous Admin, that same rule did not apply.

Sorry for stinking up the thread. I knew better than to engage, but I did anyway.
LOL!!! Things take on lives of their own. Back to Legion Riders...

Did you know... the American Legion Riders was started approx 26 years ago by a group of Legion members in Garden City, Michigan who were also riders?

Originally there were 6 posts in the area that formed Rider groups and they're known informally as "the 6-pack."

·
Registered
743 Posts
I saw a guy the other day wearing a Vietnam Veteran T shirt and a hat with a Silver Star and some other awards, The numbnuts didn't even look like he was born before 1975.

Love your enemies, it will make them crazy.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts