V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took leadership to an incredibly personal level as a SGT in the Army.
Once I left I felt like I lost it all. No more troops, no more direction. I eventually joined the VFW after sobering up about 5 years later and it has been great. One issue though is that I don't feel the progress and action I was searching. Even serving in officer positions I just don't think we get the job done. Granted my post is tiny so there is only so much you can do other than raise a bit of money and help pay for guys medical needs and occasionally helping with home heating oil/propane. Give a few rides and share a few laughs.

How are you guys involved outside of these 2 organizations?
There are 2 Veteran MC's near me that I know of and riding has always been a therapy. I wonder if they have that same brotherhood and bring back some of that camaraderie, discipline and structure that I know a lot of us miss. One of their by laws states no more than 10% of any chapter can be comprised of non Vets so at least they hold true to that standard.
Cheers and God bless gents!

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Legion riders seem like a decent group to ride with.
The legion also does in home visits to the aging veteran population, give it a go.

Sent from a handheld item of convenience

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
I must be one of the 10%. The vet riders here is the only decent club around. People aren't into clubs anymore. They ride with their homies. We have cookouts at various nursing homes. Did you ever eat at a facility? The food sucks. It is a 2 hour ride to the nearest veterans home so we stick close to the house and take care of those who used to take care of us.

tarheel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have a decent sized Legion about 45 minutes out, I'll have to see if they have any riders.
Thanks for the tip gents!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Am Legions around here are nothing more than cheap bars and gambling clubs. Seems more social members and Sons than actual vets.

The one I was a member of even told me my veteran status means NOTHING in the Legion.

Again , the Legion Riders was more non-Vets. And what really pissed me off and made me quit was that non-Vets or Sons were wearing military decorations and insignias of rank on their vests , and justifying it by saying "it was my grandfathers/fathers/sons'' or other relatives. They claimed to wear it ''in memory of'' or ''to honor'' them.

:nono: NOBODY should wear military bling they themselves did not EARN! :nono:

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Am Legions around here are nothing more than cheap bars and gambling clubs. Seems more social members and Sons than actual vets.

The one I was a member of even told me my veteran status means NOTHING in the Legion.

Again , the Legion Riders was more non-Vets. And what really pissed me off and made me quit was that non-Vets or Sons were wearing military decorations and insignias of rank on their vests , and justifying it by saying "it was my grandfathers/fathers/sons'' or other relatives. They claimed to wear it ''in memory of'' or ''to honor'' them.

:nono: NOBODY should wear military bling they themselves did not EARN! :nono:
The sad thing is that clubs are on the way out. My last club was the Union County Wheelers in Jersey in '76. Our vets are raising money for the largest veterans memorial park in NC. Get buried for free too. We have an official meeting once a month and then ride for some strawberry cheesecake. I used to be more active, but shiitt happens. I also have 3 patches. One says associate member and the other 2 have the intials DA and MF. You can guess the latter, but the other stands for dumb **".lol.

tarheel

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
The sad thing is that clubs are on the way out. My last club was the Union County Wheelers in Jersey in '76. Our vets are raising money for the largest veterans memorial park in NC. Get buried for free too. We have an official meeting once a month and then ride for some strawberry cheesecake. I used to be more active, but shiitt happens. I also have 3 patches. One says associate member and the other 2 have the intials DA and MF. You can guess the latter, but the other stands for dumb **".lol.

tarheel
You really think clubs are on the way out? You talking just vet riders, or riding clubs and MCs too?

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
You really think clubs are on the way out? You talking just vet riders, or riding clubs and MCs too?
The vet riders and the blue knights are still going strong not to mention outlaws. There is a woman's club about 30 minutes from here and a club in Sommerville, SC. The wingers are about 1 1/2 hrs down and the pike. A buddy and I tried to start a club 5 yrs ago. Advertised on fukbook and the newspaper that we were having a pig picking with free beer and soda. No one came but some deadbeat relatives. So I ride with the relatives and one friend. Two fatboys, 3 road Kings, 1 Yamaha 1600 and a Suzuki trike.

tarheel

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Belong to both for long time. However the legion that I have been a member of for about 40 years transfer to it from another now says I have only been a member for 6 years.
Wonder where the dues have been going ?
We have an outstanding VFW in a very small town. Most of the older members are Korean WAR. Most of them grew up here , they served together lived a life time together and now bury each other one at a time.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

tarheel
The Legion Riders goes to great lengths to state they ARE NOT a motorcycle CLUB.:nono:

You can just ask the;

President
Vice President
Sgt at Arms
Treasurer
Road Captains

^rolleyez^

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
The Legion Riders goes to great lengths to state they ARE NOT a motorcycle CLUB.:nono:

You can just ask the;

President

Vice President

Sgt at Arms

Treasurer

Road Captains

^rolleyez^
You are right about not being called a club by the members, but the general public looks at us as a club. What with black vests and patches to further the myth.
When the CBA/ABATE in NC merged in the 90's bikers flocked to join the 'club.' They never were a club and many dropped out. There are over 400,000 licenced bikers in NC, but only 3500 in the CBA. Such a shame

tarheel

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
You are right about not being called a club by the members, but the general public looks at us as a club. What with black vests and patches to further the myth.
When the CBA/ABATE in NC merged in the 90's bikers flocked to join the 'club.' They never were a club and many dropped out. There are over 400,000 licenced bikers in NC, but only 3500 in the CBA. Such a shame

tarheel

yeah well , from what I've seen , it's the non-vets that are the problem. They can't possibly expect the same bond and respect vets have for each other. And wearing military insignias they did not earn and is WRONG!

Obama might have done away with the penalties for 'stolen valor' , but we didn't.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
yeah well , from what I've seen , it's the non-vets that are the problem. They can't possibly expect the same bond and respect vets have for each other. And wearing military insignias they did not earn and is WRONG!

Obama might have done away with the penalties for 'stolen valor' , but we didn't.
On that note, I'll ask your opinion. On the front of my vest right side about where the pocket would be, I have the Marine Corp emblem and right above it I have the words "Proud Son". Do you think that might still be wrong in the eyes of vets?

I ask because I've had vets come up to me and say Semper Fi and when I point out that it was my dad that served, and I point to the "Proud Son" part, some seem a bit miffed.

I know it's not stolen valor the way I'm doing it, and I meant it only as respect to my dad. But I still wonder if I should be sporting that patch at all.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts