V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for any advise on having a Veteran bottom rocker on my vest. No center patch, just the Veteran bottom rocker. Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Someone will straighten me out if different places do differently but...

...if you're not claiming territory and/or an MC, you're fine. Around here, many riding groups (non-MCs) with patches join in and meet with a council of clubs(MCs) and folks know who's who, what's what and any issues are resolved. As it's affected me personally and the veteran's group I ride with on occasion - we do our thing, no one bothers us and we don't bother them. We've been guests at MC clubs and MC folks have been guests at our post. Never any problems.

Re rockers, some of our guys wear a top rocker identifying branch of service and a bottom rocker with "Retired" or their Legion/VFW post name or location. The MC guys around here don't have any issues with such rider groups and there has never been any issue I've heard about. Then there are Warthogs and another cop biker group - and I don't know of any issues between them and anyone either. Issues of territory, being an MC and what's expected behavior is a whole different world, but if you're clearly not of it folks leave one another alone.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The question is 'Why?'. Seriously. I am also a 21 year active duty Veteran and a former club member. Why would you want to emulate something even remotely to an MC? I hear it all the time from fellow Vets, 'I served my country', 'My Rights', etc, etc. At the end of the day this lower rocker thing you are asking about is emulating motorcycle club without actually doing the work to be in a motorcycle club. It is dress up. Sure you can do it, but should you do it? I suspect you came here looking for some level of confirmation bias, but the fact that you felt the need to ask is indicative of your belief that what you are considering could be wrong. Final thought, adding a Veteran lower rocker will not gain you any cool points or respect from anyone in the biker community. In fact, you will probably be perceived as a poser or someone playing dress up and will probably loose a little respect. Be proud of your service. Your fellow vets can identify you without this rocker. You may even have other service related items that you earned that would tell a better story of your military service. For example, I spent my entire career in the 75th Ranger Regiment and 7th Special Forces group. I was in two MCs over the course of twenty five years and wore a mine Ranger and SF tabs along with a set of mini HALO Jump Master wings on the right breast pocket flap. You probably have similar acutraments. Rock em. Be proud. No need to play dress up or get close to a line. My way will get you more respect. Trust me.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,647 Posts
The question is 'Why?'. Seriously. I am also a 21 year active duty Veteran and a former club member. Why would you want to emulate something even remotely to an MC? I hear it all the time from fellow Vets, 'I served my country', 'My Rights', etc, etc. At the end of the day this lower rocker thing you are asking about is emulating motorcycle club without actually doing the work to be in a motorcycle club. It is dress up. Sure you can do it, but should you do it? I suspect you came here looking for some level of confirmation bias, but the fact that you felt the need to ask is indicative of your belief that what you are considering could be wrong. Final thought, adding a Veteran lower rocker will not gain you any cool points or respect from anyone in the biker community. In fact, you will probably be perceived as a poser or someone playing dress up and will probably loose a little respect. Be proud of your service. Your fellow vets can identify you without this rocker. You may even have other service related items that you earned that would tell a better story of your military service. For example, I spent my entire career in the 75th Ranger Regiment and 7th Special Forces group. I was in two MCs over the course of twenty five years and wore a mine Ranger and SF tabs along with a set of mini HALO Jump Master wings on the right breast pocket flap. You probably have similar acutraments. Rock em. Be proud. No need to play dress up or get close to a line. My way will get you more respect. Trust me.
I'm curious. How is his rocker dress-up any worse than your avatar dress-up or my Navy license tag dress-up or my brother's USMC tattoo dress-up?

joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just gonna leave that alone but......you know....some people think they have to phsyco analyze people to make themselves feel better.....instead of just answering the damn question

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm curious. How is his rocker dress-up any worse than your avatar dress-up or my Navy license tag dress-up or my brother's USMC tattoo dress-up?

joe

I am surprised you have to ask as you are typically pretty sharp. But I will play along. My dress up avatar is not in a form factor that is close to emulating any other group, much less getting close to enough to looking like an MC patch to warrant a discussion that is recalling just looking for confirmation. I suspect that your Navy license plate and your brothers EGA do not resemble anything close to that of motorcycle club distinctive markings. The differences are huge and I am surprised you even asked, but I get it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I never thought about this perspective but here's another take: I generally ride solo but after retiring joined a post with riders figuring to be involved in supporting vets. Bikes were common ground. There's some good natured rivalry between Army and Navy in my post and identifying Navy prominently was in large part a way to screw with the Army guys. Never though about being a poser or cared much about being perceived as an MC. Certainly more subtle to downplay service, but if the OP is in a vet riding group and there's a center patch for that, cat's way out of the bag already.

Serious question, as I respect your opinion - Among MCs, re vet groups, is this really seen as a big deal?

·
not sober all the time
5,752 Posts
I am looking for any advise on having a Veteran bottom rocker on my vest. No center patch, just the Veteran bottom rocker. Any insight would be appreciated.
I was just gonna leave that alone but......you know....some people think they have to phsyco analyze people to make themselves feel better.....instead of just answering the damn question
What is the question?

This is too far off from what I was looking for....Im out.....
Asks for insight. Doesn't like the insight. Takes his ball and goes home.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I never thought about this perspective but here's another take: I generally ride solo but after retiring joined a post with riders figuring to be involved in supporting vets. Bikes were common ground. There's some good natured rivalry between Army and Navy in my post and identifying Navy prominently was in large part a way to screw with the Army guys. Never though about being a poser or cared much about being perceived as an MC. Certainly more subtle to downplay service, but if the OP is in a vet riding group and there's a center patch for that, cat's way out of the bag already.

Serious question, as I respect your opinion - Among MCs, re vet groups, is this really seen as a big deal?
Cant speak for all MCs, but for my club it is not a big deal. We typically laugh at guys playing dress up getting close to looking like a club member, but not. Sporting a rocker of any type is usually cause for a chuckle. No respect given to people that dress that way. On the other hand, the guys that are wearing various acutraments from their uniforms will typically gather huge respect from club members. The giant pack patch from a service branch and same make believe rockers = gay. Rock that Naval Surface Warfare pin, various wings, rank, something real and not made up. I saw a guy last night with an 11th Armored Cavalry patch sen on his right sleeve. That patch on that sleeve signifies a combat tour with that unit. Dude was old as dirt. After talking with him it turned out he was a tank commander in the 11th ACR and deployed to RVN. That shoulder sleeve insignia spoke volumes and vet that sees will know what it means. Huge respect. Had he had some made up rocker simply proclaiming he was a Vet, I doubt either myself or anyone else would have talked with him.

Reactions: FXDRYDR2

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,647 Posts
I am surprised you have to ask as you are typically pretty sharp. But I will play along. My dress up avatar is not in a form factor that is close to emulating any other group, much less getting close to enough to looking like an MC patch to warrant a discussion that is recalling just looking for confirmation. I suspect that your Navy license plate and your brothers EGA do not resemble anything close to that of motorcycle club distinctive markings. The differences are huge and I am surprised you even asked, but I get it.
I have no problem with club members, any of them-- 1%ers, 10%ers, 90%ers, it matters not. I have to chuckle though that you think your version has some claim on those patches. Intimidation may be effective, but it is not a legitimate claim. Who am I emulating when I wear black boots? Can I not just like black boots, whether or not some group has claimed them?

I think it's kinda sad that people have to ask a question like OP's. I was in a military club that had to go to the CoC for permission to wear its patches, its 'colors'. If anything, that should be the other way around.

joe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts