V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a very subjective topic---but here is my story. I am getting this noise as i come to a stop and sometimes when i stop.
Now I have tried not using the front brakes to eliminate those. Not using back brake, didn't help either.
I have tried to put in neutral and coast to stop, but my habit is that as i approach my stop point I pull in the clutch and put in 1st gear while still rolling--ever so slightly. I am still trying to NOT do anything but stop and see if it is still there.
Now here is how I would describe the noise. Have you ever heard a horn when the battery was almost dead. Well it sounds like that. It lasts only a second or two, no more. It don't happen all the time either..but you can feel it through the bike too.
I am leaning clutch or primary case.
As usuall when i run by the dealer, it acts fine. SO Frustrated!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
My bike makes the noise you describe with the front brake applied.

Thorns

·
Registered
541 Posts
Mine makes the "horn/ring" noise when I apply the rear brake sometimes. Have never heard it come from the front though.
DLR

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: well so far we have eliminated the brakes as the noise. Had the dealer look/listen/ride and they can't hear or duplicate it. I took about a 150 mile ride Monday and it only did it once... frustrating.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
It's funny you talk about that noise. I had it on my 02 Fatboy. It started at about 7,000 miles. Now i am no pro by any means, but I do know harleys pretty well, and i couldn't figure it out for the life of me. At first i thought it was the brakes, then the belt, then the primary. No one ever believed me because it only happened to me when slowing up to a red light and or coasting slowly, like 5-10 mph.Then i thought to myself.....i looked at everything i possible could and figured it must be the balancer system on a softail..I ended up trading it in(not for this reason at all, loved that bike), but i got a great deal on a dresser and moved on...
P.S. I know the guy that bought the bike from the dealer and it has about 27,000 on it now........go figure.....sorry i have no answer for you though......

·
Registered
1 Posts
Front Brake Noise

I have this weird noise on the front of my 03 Heritage. The guys at Harley in Topeka know exactly what it is. They've scheduled a fix at my 15,000 mile service. I will get the details on exactly what it's called and what they do to fix and post it later. After it was diagnosed they put in in their computer to do on the next visit and I really didn't get the exact wording that they used.

It is annoying at low speeds. They did say that it's happening at high speeds also you just don't notice it. It's nothing dangerous just annoying. It started at about 11,000

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Does it do it when the bike is "cold". In other words, when you're first out and about for the day? Is the weather humid? Is it "damp" in your part of Az, and is this the weather conditions when it makes the noise? If any of the above is "yes" then it's "brake growl". Moisture and a dirty pad/rotor set up a vibration that makes noise. Thats all a brake squeal is, a high pitched vibration. If you think it's it, scuff up the pads with some 60 grit, THEN spray them off with brake clean. You can NOT leave any dust on them as this will make them glaze.
Also, try Riff Raff's suggestion. When it makes the noise, gently apply MORE pressure to the brakes, see if it changes. You'd be surprised the amount of noise that comes from the brake system.
Good luck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
What year bike do you have? The reason I ask is if you have a bike with a speedometer that is cable drive then this might apply. I had a problem with my 98 ultra that sounds like yours. The noise turned out to be the cable rubbing on the metal guide attached to the fender. It must have been a strange harmonic thing because the cable never do show any wear. In any case a little graphite lube on the cable eliminated the noise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts