V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While reading another post with questions for beginners, I remembered a hint passed on to me by a friend who races bikes. Have you ever dropped your bike, especially while stopped or moving very slowly? When I went back to riding after a long absence, I used to drop my bike in the garage while backing it in to its assigned spot. My hubbie would get furious and challenge me back to the free weights, making the assumption I wasn't strong enough to hold up a heavier bike. WRONG!

Our racer friend told me, -At high speed, think bicycle for balance. At low speed or while stopped, think tricycle.- It was perfect advice. You need to adjust your personal center of gravity just a touch and be ready to put your feet down to act as those back two wheels on a tricycle. I've never dropped my bike since (except for a major highway construction wreck, but unfortunately that wasn't at low speed). Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Eagle Woman

Thanks for that advise. I will keep that in mind. I seem to have the most trouble with my bike while backing in out luckily I have'nt dropped it yet. Can always use sound advise from another woman. Thanks again

Medicine Woman

Beach Cruzin:)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Any and all information is always helpful. There are some new riders in here and I hope your tips will help those that are learning to ride or just getting started.
Glad to hear you're doing so well.

·
Registered
603 Posts
My advice that I give my son and others is :
1. Ride like there is someone out there paying other drivers to kill you.
2. Ride like you are invisible.

JMS

·
Banned
316 Posts
All good advise. The guy that started me riding many years ago gently laid the bike down and said I couldn't start riding until I could pick it up by myself. You never know when this'll come in handy. Also remember. there's only 2 kinds of riders-----Those who have fallen,--- and those who have yet to fall. A crappy thing to think about, I know, But a reality!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I don't believe in the advise don't ride until you. yourself can pick it up. I was fortunate to start riding when i was knee high to a grass hopper. Occasionally I'll see a fellow rider stumble and need help lifting his wing or what ever. Myself included, sometimes your planted foot slips. Leather soles are terrible for that.

·
Banned
316 Posts
I didn't mean that you shouldn't help when you can. But you should be able to help yourself when there's no one to help you. And if leather sole slip-----don't wear them!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks to all for your advice. Balance is key at any speed. I pray I never lose any "cool points" by laying it down in front of anyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts