V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Daggum genetics! At 5'7" I fall into the "Vertically Challenged" category. Sure, I should be looking at the Lowrider, Streetbob, Heritage or Softail Deluxe but there's something about the Roadking that keeps me wondering what, if anything, I can do to get into the saddle of one. I have a Sporty now which was way too tall with the stock seat but absolutely perfect with the Badlander seat. As far as the Road King is concerned, the "Classic" feels about right...both heels on the ground...but the width on the saddle is just a bit too much. I'm thinking that a Mustang Solo seat (with a tapered nose) would do the trick but am also considering lowering the bike with the Profile Lowering kit. Has anyone had any experience with the lowering kit? How much does it affect the handling on the bike? Anyone know how much "lower" the Mustang solo is?

Any thoughts/input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
No problem... Corbin can custom modify their Classic Solo seat to your height and inseam. Best part... no charge. Be sure to get the nose job while you are at it.

Click my link and then the "Seat" on my page for pics and further explanation.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My wife is a little shorter than you, about 125 lbs. I went with the Corbin Close Solo seat and White Brothers 1" lowering blocks on her '04 FLHRI. She does quite well with it... I also rotated the handlebars back just a little to improve the reach.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I have FLHR lowered. Had the two piece mustang seat. Was pretty low. Last year got one piece ultra tourer. Raised me up, but is comfortable.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Short!

I am about your size and ride an 06 RK Classic. Corbin close solo seat and handlebars that come back another couple inches and I am fine. Good luck:wavey:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
5'7" is SHORT?!

Puhlease.
I am 5' 3".
I ride an 05 FLHTCI. I did lower it: Burly lowering kit in the rear, -1.5", and a White Bros kit in front, -1". I have the HD foward seat, which I'm not sure I like, bit it brings be to the controls. My heals touch, but I wouldn't say I have a lot of spread, if you gather. Anyway, after 14K miles, I've not dropped it, and I am WAY more comfy on it than I was when I first brought her home. Time in the saddle with ease your comfort zone, but really, 5'7"? Come ON.

Oh yea, and I have an 85 FXWG which I am slamming, for looks, not necessity, its WAY easier to handle than the EG, in terms of legroom. But I am putting 16" apes on it, and lowering the seat (solo seat). We'll see how that goes, haha.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Went with 11.5 412's progressive shocks, and a Harley sundowner seat for a 04 RK custom..love it slammed and ride is good for me.

Randy

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you have been through a motorcycle training class you remember them teaching you that you only need one foot to touch the ground when you stop. With that in mind I believe that you are surely tall enough to ride the bike in its stock form. Dan

·
43 Fuel Curves
819 Posts
dcman27 said:
If you have been through a motorcycle training class you remember them teaching you that you only need one foot to touch the ground when you stop. With that in mind I believe that you are surely tall enough to ride the bike in its stock form. Dan
Riding is one thing. Backing up a 700+ lb bike out of sand is much better with two feet.

·
43 Fuel Curves
819 Posts
I am glad you guys don't have any terrain problems any where you go. We have quite a variety here so I understand why Tycho wants to grab the ground well. I lowered mine and now can back out when it turns out that the asphalt parking lot has a large sand filled pot hole just before the tire stop, or up a bit of a slope if need be.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
dcman27 said:
Screw the class... I want both feet flat on the tarmac!!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I lowered mine in the rear and had "HIGH END" seats by Danny Gray do a custom fit on my RK. Made all the difference in the world. It has a 2" push forward so you can sit up right, and 1" shaved out of the foam on the bottom. I can place both feet on the ground. Prices are competitive with all the others. Go with some custom stitching or leather while your at it. Worth a call over there. They are in Santa Ana, CA and ask for Sheri. She is really helpful. They will do anything you want to a seat to make it work for you.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
dcman27 said:
I think maybe that is taken out of context. Like you said when braking you need to keep your right foot on the brake pedal to maintian control while stopping thus the reason for only one foot on the ground. However I do believe they will tell you that you have to be able to put both feet flat on the ground when deciding on what bike is right for you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a friend shorter than you who bought an o4 RK lowered it front & back 1 inch had a custom seat made & put in one of those reverse gear side covers & he has no problems in any circumstance

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
I have similar problems....

....i am six feet tall but built a bit like a sea turtle (wear a long suit but cut the pants off short).

I lowered the Road King with Progressive 440 shocks in the front and Progressive springs in the front. If I had it to do over again i would use Racetech Gold emulators in the front. My scoot is an all day tourer and runs nice and low.

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
dcman27 said:

True on that, I'm 5'8" and I ride a bike with a 31.5" seat height, maybe it has something to do with experience.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts