V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I’m putting the engine back in my 94 fxlr, and I’m having trouble with the alignment. I have the bike on a jack and blocks set level across the top of the frame. This is where the drivetrain sits vertically. I’ve tried forcing it to vertical, but it comes back to this position. Is this acceptable? It was perfect before. Where should I look for interference? I’ve had the donuts loose, but that made no difference.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Your not even a quarter bubble off it appears. Sounds like you established a good baseline before starting. Are you 100% sure about that? Did you remove the wheel or swingarm?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I’ve always used the rear rotor for vertical alignment. I’m pretty sure the rotor is good.

Everything has been out of this bike recently. Since November, I’ve replaced the transmission, put bearings in the swingarm, replaced the donuts and front mount, new links front and top and now the engine is going back in. It doesn’t look far off of vertical. I suppose I’ll continue and see how it rides.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I just did alignment on my FXRS. My rear and front rotors are vertically aligned right on with each other. The level across the frame under the seat is off just slightly. I don't think you need to worry about the frame vertical to the rotors vertical, remember the frame is a welded structure, there is no way it can be perfect. I think as long as the front and rear wheels vertical to each other it's all good. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It is presumed the welded frame assy is jigged and sq. It should say level and your neck should be too.
If one is off slightly you can look past it.
You are on the right track-But no alignment can make up for worm swing arm bushings.
Front mount / top mount.
The top mount will pull-push it onto the right spot.
BUT, b4 that, unhook your shocks tops or bottoms ( get the weight mostly off your rear wheel, ) And with one hand on the frame and one hand push or pulling the of the rear tire see what you get.
I will bet you get over a 1/2 of slop at the bushings.
Nothing new,-they are only good for about 5 years.
New bushing will be a new bike as far as a nice stable platform.

·
Registered
450 Posts
so I’m putting the engine back in my 94 fxlr, and I’m having trouble with the alignment. I have the bike on a jack and blocks set level across the top of the frame. This is where the drivetrain sits vertically. I’ve tried forcing it to vertical, but it comes back to this position. Is this acceptable? It was perfect before. Where should I look for interference? I’ve had the donuts loose, but that made no difference. View attachment 268430

"tried forcing it to vertical......."

This doesn't make any sense. What forcing? The upper stabilizer link controls this. It is as simple as turning a bolt. No forcing and the link holds it in place. It should not move. It if does, there are other issues with the top engine mount and or link.

This will not be found in any manual or youtube video, but should make sense to most. As soon as the top link is adjusted, break loose the two bolts on each of the transmission pivot blocks. This will allow them to get into a comfortable position. Once everything is adjusted properly, you should be able to remove the top link without the vertical alignment moving. Same technique also applies to the front link and rubber mount.

Looks to me like your level is upside down. The vial in the level has a slight bend to it. The peak of the bend must be at 12 o clock. As shown, yours is at 6 o clock.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your level looks like a POS.
Do you know how to check if it's accurate?
My level is pretty cheap. That very well could be the problem.

"tried forcing it to vertical......."

Looks to me like your level is upside down. The vial in the level has a slight bend to it. The peak of the bend must be at 12 o clock. As shown, yours is at 6 o clock.
What I meant by "forcing the drivetrain vertical" is pulling on the top of the engine until the bubble was centered. Everything I've read says to adjust it so the bolt falls in with no resistance. That's how mine is, now, but it's not perfect, I guess. I considered 'pulling' it with the top link, but decided against it.

Silly as it may sound, I didn't realize there was a top or bottom to that level. Oops!

·
Registered
134 Posts
If your swing arm bushing are worn it will always want to lean to the port side.
the engine with primary makes it that way.
I dont know what authority says just let it go where it wants, not very accurate for sure.

If you do not make it straight with the rear wheel, well...its your belt and your bike.
Your handleing problems .
Do as you wish

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have bearings in the swingarm. All of this stuff is new. I replaced just about everything back in October/November.

My HD service manual says to adjust the top link, so the bolt can be inserted or removed without pushing the engine to the left or right.

thats in vehicle alignment, step 12.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't know what Harley is thinking and you for sure are allowed to do it their way.
But if the rear disk is not vertical and the frame is, then you will forever have a rear-wheel leaning off-center.
Their idea is to just let it go where ever it wants is just stupid,.
As I said -the engine will always lean to the left.
The primary side is way heavier.
The top mount determines vertical, the front mount points the rear wheel straight in the frame to the front.
Just picture a tuning fork with a wheel between the legs at the end.
The end being your swing arm.
You want the frame jigged straight, so the level reads level at horizontal and the rear disk zero at vertical.
Well.....that's how I do it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got my hands on an inclinometer.

surprisingly enough, the cheap bubble level in the picture is pretty close. the level I was using across the frame was not. My vertical alignment is fine.

Casualty averted.

Thank you all for the help! Hopefully, tomorrow, I'll have this thing running. It's been a long four months.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This was all stated and asked for at the top.
the first thing to do is check your swing arm bushings .
the next thing is to make an accurate tool to center the axle from the swingarm center line on each side.
next is level the frme and then use the top mount to get the engine centered.
last -is to get the rear wheel going the same direction as the front with a combination of a straight line front to rear alongside the tires.
this can be lessors, string, aluminum tubing whatever
You will get results of moving the rear bike left and right and then using the front mount.
You do not need any exotic equipment as in the end it all just est. straight lines to work from.
I use about 4 lessor levels at once
One on each disk shooting a line dwn
in the center of the platform, the bike is on
then shoot both disk fwd about ten feet or so

·
Registered
570 Posts
This was all stated and asked for at the top.
the first thing to do is check your swing arm bushings .
the next thing is to make an accurate tool to center the axle from the swingarm center line on each side.
next is level the frme and then use the top mount to get the engine centered.
last -is to get the rear wheel going the same direction as the front with a combination of a straight line front to rear alongside the tires.
this can be lessors, string, aluminum tubing whatever
You will get results of moving the rear bike left and right and then using the front mount.
You do not need any exotic equipment as in the end it all just est. straight lines to work from.
I use about 4 lessor levels at once
One on each disk shooting a line dwn
in the center of the platform, the bike is on
then shoot both disk fwd about ten feet or so
By "lessors" I'm assuming you mean lasers? Spell check error maybe? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Great!!
I spend the time to help someone here and you come to the rescue with your spell corection?
you never made an error?
must be nice?
My spell check did not catch something, or I overlooked it and you want to put your schrool marm dress on and correct me?
LOL
No, I had it correct -should I set the laser phaser gun on stun...........or?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Great!!
I spend the time to help someone here and you come to the rescue with your spell corection?
you never made an error?
must be nice?
My spell check did not catch something, or I overlooked it and you want to put your schrool marm dress on and correct me?
LOL
No, I had it correct -should I set the laser phaser gun on stun...........or?

Dude,

I get you are new and this is exciting and all, but you don't have to respond to every post. It is the internet. Most everyone here is stupid but thinks they know everything. That includes me.

Relax. Take a knee. Hydrate and face out.

Add value when you can. Most questions will be answered by countless people all saying the same thing. Sometimes it is more fun to just sit back and chuckle to yourself about some of the false or incomplete stuff that gets thrown around here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts