V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
I'm not from VT but I did have a chance to ride through your state on my way home from Montreal a couple years ago.

As I recall, US-7 was a very nice road, runs N-S along Lake Champlain. Very scenic. ;)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wyodude said:
I'm not from VT but I did have a chance to ride through your state on my way home from Montreal a couple years ago.

As I recall, US-7 was a very nice road, runs N-S along Lake Champlain. Very scenic. ;)
It is nice, but you'll have to come back someday for all the ones you missed that are so much better!

Dude, you rolled right through my hood. I'm only three blocks from Rt 7. I might have heard you go by.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
No, but spend alot of time up their. Mom lives in Stockbridge off rt107. So I make a couple trips up a year. Usally up 100 to ben and jerrys around stowe,or over to NEK,or up and down 100 and 7 towards manchester. If it wasn't for the helmet law I would make more trips.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rob Roadking said:
...If it wasn't for the helmet law I would make more trips.
OK then, I'll get right to work on that VT helmet law. I'm rather fearless, and an organ donor too. Although I would (mostly) choose to wear a brain bucket myself I am very much against mandated safety gear - all of it! I would think that VT has a better chance of shedding this scourge of anti-liberty than many other states. I vote.

I heard the VT was considering passing a red lights = stop sign law for bikes like TN did a while back... I'd really like to see that one even though we have like 10 or 11 traffic lights in the whole state!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have a very good friend in Rutland and stop by on my way to and from Laconia.And of course ski there.I'll be stopping up there this june.Maybe I'll hear you ride by(LOL).

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
OLuminous1 said:
Any Vermont based riders out there? Tell us where you like to ride!

Hey there Oluminous!!
I'm in the West Woodbury end of the state. Don't confuse Woodbury with West Woodbury. Taxes go to the same place, but we are an entity on to ourselves! 8 miles of mountainous dirt road encompasses all of west woodbury on the northern side of Woodbury Mountain. It falls between Lake Elmore and Wolcott. I love riding 100 to Hancock, then up over the notch towards Middlebury over the bridge into New York then follow the lake south! It makes for a long and beautiful days worth of riding. Leave early arrive home late!

·
Registered
107 Posts
rickr01 said:
Hey there Oluminous!!
I'm in the West Woodbury end of the state. Don't confuse Woodbury with West Woodbury. Taxes go to the same place, but we are an entity on to ourselves! 8 miles of mountainous dirt road encompasses all of west woodbury on the northern side of Woodbury Mountain. It falls between Lake Elmore and Wolcott. I love riding 100 to Hancock, then up over the notch towards Middlebury over the bridge into New York then follow the lake south! It makes for a long and beautiful days worth of riding. Leave early arrive home late!

Spent a great part of my childhood vacationing at my uncle's at Lake Elmore and in and around Wolcott. I use to get suckered into working on his properties cutting growth away from the electric fence in Wolcott. Sure wish they had weed wackers or that DR Brush Cutter back then instead of the hand sickle and machete!

How is that road over the notch to Middlebury? Is it pavement, something that resembles pavement or dirt? I will be up that way (via Stowe) towards the end of August. I was looking to do some exploring of areas & roads I have not been to or on. I do have plans to go up to Newport to visit that same Uncle and planning on of course 108 over to Smugglers.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
styd24 said:
Spent a great part of my childhood vacationing at my uncle's at Lake Elmore and in and around Wolcott. I use to get suckered into working on his properties cutting growth away from the electric fence in Wolcott. Sure wish they had weed wackers or that DR Brush Cutter back then instead of the hand sickle and machete!

How is that road over the notch to Middlebury? Is it pavement, something that resembles pavement or dirt? I will be up that way (via Stowe) towards the end of August. I was looking to do some exploring of areas & roads I have not been to or on. I do have plans to go up to Newport to visit that same Uncle and planning on of course 108 over to Smugglers.

All smooth pavement through the Notch to Middlebury. It's a fun beautiful ride. If you want one of the best breakfasts or meals in general, stop at the old Hancock Hotel right in Hancock right at the base of the Notch road. Sit on the front porch and enjoy!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Rickr01, thanks for the tip on breakfast. I will be checking that out then indeed. I have an old map, tough to tell if pavement or dirt road. I know you have to be careful in Vermont with those. I guess that is what has always made Vermont applying to me.

I keep given thought to one of this Adventure Bikes like a KTM 950. I would see myself tooling around VT a lot.

Thanks again responding!

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
styd24 said:
Rickr01, thanks for the tip on breakfast. I will be checking that out then indeed. I have an old map, tough to tell if pavement or dirt road. I know you have to be careful in Vermont with those. I guess that is what has always made Vermont applying to me.

I keep given thought to one of this Adventure Bikes like a KTM 950. I would see myself tooling around VT a lot.

Thanks again responding!

Give a shout when your up this way!

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I live in NJ, but ride in VT every year. I like Rt.17, Rt. 100, Rt 131, Rt. 12, RT 7A just to name a few. There are many more and they are all good. I'm looking forward to going up again this year!

·
Banned
871 Posts
I'm across the lake in Plattsburgh, but ride through Burlington a lot (mainly to party on Church Street!). I have relatives in Essex Junction.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
ToddM said:
I'm across the lake in Plattsburgh, but ride through Burlington a lot (mainly to party on Church Street!). I have relatives in Essex Junction.

Funny, you ride over this way, and I enjoy going across the bridge over your way, then following the lake south. A very nice long day ride!:laugh:

·
Banned
871 Posts
rickr01 said:
Funny, you ride over this way, and I enjoy going across the bridge over your way, then following the lake south. A very nice long day ride!:laugh:
Yes, I enjoy riding in Vermont, especially since the gas is so much cheaper. :yes:

For afternoon rides when cruising in the Adirondacks, my favorite run is to head south on route 9 or I-87 to exit 30 and taking route 73 to Lake Placid. Then I head towards Tupper Lake, then back to Plattsburgh through Saranac Lake on route 3. There are some great views of the mountains to the south of 73. The stretch between Saranac Lake and Plattsburgh is what we used to call the River Run. This was back when there were a few more bars along that route. We'd start in Saranac Lake and stop by each bar on the way back. Of course, there were hardly any cops around here back then. ;) Now, all those new troopers (spell that K-I-D-S) are out in droves harrassing the citizens rather then guarding the border, which by the way, is what they were sent up here to do. I guess there ain't enough money coming in to the state from border patrol duty. :( But I'm rambling.... :)

In Vermont, I like heading over to Smuggler's Notch, north on the back roads to the Canadian border, then cross the Rouses Point bridge and follow the lake south towards home. Do you ever go to the Old Northender or the Trackside Tavern in Burlington? I also like the Northern Lights in Clayburg, NY, and the Dry Dock and Airport Lounge in Plattsburgh. All are "biker friendly" and the Dry Dock has great food! I've been partying in those bars since the early 80s.

I've lived and/or ridden in almost every state in the US, but I always return to the North Country. It's just too bad Billary Clinton is our senator..... :mad: God help us if she becomes president. We'll be worse off when her sleazebag hubby was in office, teaching our kids how to be immoral and get away with it. :(

Enjoy the summer! Hopefully it will be as nice as last year. Maybe we'll cross paths sometime. Ride safe, ride FREE! ~!Awesome!

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
OLuminous1 said:
It is nice, but you'll have to come back someday for all the ones you missed that are so much better!

Dude, you rolled right through my hood. I'm only three blocks from Rt 7. I might have heard you go by.
I did that ride last summer on my way back from Canada. We came across upper state NY and into VT at the top of Lake Champlain then came down RT 7 and across to NH and then home to MA. Beautiful country.

I was close today in the Lake Sunipee area. crused up and saw some great sights, covered bridges, beaver (the four and two legged kind), turky, incredible small towns, mills, etc, etc.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Vermonter

I live in Swanton, the NW corner on Lake Champlain and the Canadian border.
I ride around the lake into Plattsburg and the Adirondack Park NY and into the Green Mountains in Vermont.

Cracky

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
ToddM said:
Yes, I enjoy riding in Vermont, especially since the gas is so much cheaper. :yes:

For afternoon rides when cruising in the Adirondacks, my favorite run is to head south on route 9 or I-87 to exit 30 and taking route 73 to Lake Placid. Then I head towards Tupper Lake, then back to Plattsburgh through Saranac Lake on route 3. There are some great views of the mountains to the south of 73. The stretch between Saranac Lake and Plattsburgh is what we used to call the River Run. This was back when there were a few more bars along that route. We'd start in Saranac Lake and stop by each bar on the way back. Of course, there were hardly any cops around here back then. ;) Now, all those new troopers (spell that K-I-D-S) are out in droves harrassing the citizens rather then guarding the border, which by the way, is what they were sent up here to do. I guess there ain't enough money coming in to the state from border patrol duty. :( But I'm rambling.... :)

In Vermont, I like heading over to Smuggler's Notch, north on the back roads to the Canadian border, then cross the Rouses Point bridge and follow the lake south towards home. Do you ever go to the Old Northender or the Trackside Tavern in Burlington? I also like the Northern Lights in Clayburg, NY, and the Dry Dock and Airport Lounge in Plattsburgh. All are "biker friendly" and the Dry Dock has great food! I've been partying in those bars since the early 80s.

I've lived and/or ridden in almost every state in the US, but I always return to the North Country. It's just too bad Billary Clinton is our senator..... :mad: God help us if she becomes president. We'll be worse off when her sleazebag hubby was in office, teaching out kids how to be immoral and get away with it. :(

Enjoy the summer! Hopefully it will be as nice as last year. Maybe we'll cross paths sometime. Ride safe, ride FREE! ~!Awesome!

Trackside Tavern is a favorite stop! Hope to see you somwhere out there! Be safe and watch those cagers!

·
Banned
871 Posts
rickr01 said:
Trackside Tavern is a favorite stop! Hope to see you somwhere out there! Be safe and watch those cagers!
By the way, the Naked Turtle in Plattsburgh opens on April 27th. That's another nice place to have a drink at, although their food sucks and everything is overpriced unless you hit it during Happy Hour. I just like the atmosphere there on those lazy afternoons.... sitting by the lake sipping on a few brews. :cheers: That place is too darn crowded at night, though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts