V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK put the bottom and lower mounts on today. Had good intentions of the top, even had the tank loose just not drained. Well this mount it entirely different than the factory mount for sure, the bottom is a aluminum mount about 3/8' thick with a rubber that sits in it, the bottom underside has a rubber to match , the bolt goes through them and the center shaft, washer on bottom then the nut, torque to 25 ft lbs. the other mount is strange in that it has like a cylinder on it. I laid it and the old one together adjusted to match and reinstalled.

The gotcha is the Super Premium Oil Cooler bracket needs ground a bit as it would not go around the new bottom mount. Cleaned it up and painted it and all was well. PITA with the oil cooler on!

First it DID clean up vibration on idle. No two ways about that, the motor rocks less.

Ride test, I went over my favorite unavoidable bumps around my house and yes it feels better over all of them. Was not a long ride as it is dreary and wet here today. I was pleased with the results and it was worth the money and effort to me.

Seems like it may be a good addition to suspension mods. Will see once it get used a bit and the urethane breaks in a bit.

Need to do the top, and new springs and fork oil in the forks and my suspension work should be done.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I am heading down the same path. For now, True Track v. Ride Str8 is where I am at. Need to decide. Any ideas? Thanks for velva touch post. It is next on my list after I fix rear tire steer. Then I will do forks and rear shocks.

STB

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
LAF,

I put one of the Velva Ride motormounts on the Ultra a while back. Never had a problem with it. But once you tightened down the center bolt, you could still turn the lower bushing by hand. It seems they could have made the sleeve/collar that's in the center just a cunch shorter to get a little more squish. Well anyway, I thought I try something while installing my HD premium oil cooler. (and yes I had to modify the cooler bracket as well). Anyway, I decided while I was in there to remove the sleeve/collar and cut just a little off the length to get the lower bushing to compress a little better. Well..... whoops! I guess I cut off a little too much because that seemed to increase the engine vibes. Hell, my feet were getting numb after riding an hour. So dammit, I had to order a new sleeve from Comp and go back to a stock mount to get me by. Got the new sleeve in but I'm still running the stock mount. Guess I'll leave it in there till that one goes bad. I know Harley had a bad batch of them during a run for the 06' bikes. They apparently changed vendors and the new touring bikes are ripping them left and right. So they came out with a revised mount. Man, I hope the one I got wasn't the defective one from the previous vendor.

Here it is:

I thought about doing all three mounts with the Velva Ride system. But due to cost I thought I'd just do the lower mount considering that's all I needed at the time anyway.

I would definitely be interested in hearing from someone that has the revised mount.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Wow, expensive stuff there.

LAF,

You don't need to remove the tank to get at the top stabilizer link. Just remove mounting points front and back, lift it up and put a 2x4 under the tunnel to hold it up. The front crossover hose can be slipped back around the coil to let it raise a little more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts