V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get replacement bushings for a velva ride engine mount? mine deteriorated. Im not looking for a new mount just the bushings.

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
You should probably put this inquiry into one of the more appropriate sections since this is the "carb discussion" forum.
More responses will come your way.

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
strangely, velva ride... I had the same problem with velv a ride front mount.. the hard mount got extremely soft,,, I could not find replacements,, so,, i just used a drag specialties frpnt mount on my 113" 82 fxrs...

·
Registered
87 Posts
When I realized it was to buy another front motor mount for my '85 FXRS I did a little research and sort of stumbled on this one:
I spoke to the engineer at Kinetic Structures several times about the technology and non-motorcycle applications they had been building these for and decided to take a chance and put one on The "Moonraker". Love it. I've only run it 5,000 mi or so and can't speak to longevity. At this time...I'm very satisfied. There are cheaper options, but then they are..well, cheaper.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Did you try calling vthunder directly? When I needed new urethane for my motor mount they sold them.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
In disguise
2,745 Posts
strangely, velva ride... I had the same problem with velv a ride front mount.. the hard mount got extremely soft,,,
I had the same thing happen to a Glide Pro front mount. Whatever the compound is squished down too much but that happened after several years on the bike. I had always been quite satisfied with it until then.

·
In disguise
2,745 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
FXR2..
If you get one of the Kinetic Structures front motor mounts, I'd like to know what you think.
After doing all the usual due diligence about the motor company's offerings, and all the aftermarket choices it seemed to me that trying something NEW might be a good idea and praise God...I don't have to always go with the cheapest choice.
This bike is a keeper for me. Bought her new, 34 yrs ago and have racked up 297,000 mi. and counting.

·
Registered
16,386 Posts
Bought her new, 34 yrs ago and have racked up 297,000 mi. and counting.
Holy cow! I've never kept anything for 34 yrs. I've only had my wife for 29.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
In disguise
2,745 Posts
FXR2..
If you get one of the Kinetic Structures front motor mounts, I'd like to know what you think.
Will do. I ordered and received it but I'm in one place and the bike is in another, so be patient. It looks quite interesting. Well made and a very different material allowing some movement yet also limiting same. All of the previous mounts I've seen use a doughnut of some compound of rubber or maybe some sort of polymer material as a compression/rebound cushion. This is braided and twisted strands of stainless wire shaped in a sort of coil allowing compression and rebound top to bottom. I'll let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
16,386 Posts
... but I'm in one place and the bike is in another, so be patient.
I don't know if you caught it, but patience is NOT one of my virtues.

Get in gear.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Will do. I ordered and received it but I'm in one place and the bike is in another, so be patient. It looks quite interesting. Well made and a very different material allowing some movement yet also limiting same. All of the previous mounts I've seen use a doughnut of some compound of rubber or maybe some sort of polymer material as a compression/rebound cushion. This is braided and twisted strands of stainless wire shaped in a sort of coil allowing compression and rebound top to bottom. I'll let you know how it works out.
I'll look forward to it. Watch your alignment. Make sure everything is aligned so that the center bolt is free to slip up and down before you tighten and torque it down.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
When I realized it was to buy another front motor mount for my '85 FXRS I did a little research and sort of stumbled on this one:
I spoke to the engineer at Kinetic Structures several times about the technology and non-motorcycle applications they had been building these for and decided to take a chance and put one on The "Moonraker". Love it. I've only run it 5,000 mi or so and can't speak to longevity. At this time...I'm very satisfied. There are cheaper options, but then they are..well, cheaper.
Nice find...(y)

·
In disguise
2,745 Posts
Make sure everything is aligned so that the center bolt is free to slip up and down before you tighten and torque it down.
Guido: What size is your center motor mount bolt? I finally got a chance to try the Kinetic Structures mount on my bike and discovered that I have a 1/2" x 3 1/4" center motor mount bolt. The KS mount requires a 3/8" x 3 1/4" bolt. I've had my bike for 16 of it's 20 years (second owner) of life and have never changed that bolt size, although I have gone from the stock mount to Velva-Ride to Glide Pro and now this. All the previous ones used 1/2 bolts and there was a 1/2" bolt on the bike when I got it. Talked with the folks at KS who tell me that OEM motor mount bolts from HD were in fact 3/8" x 24 x 3 1/4". After a bit of research I tend to believe him but that makes me wonder why all these other motor mounts require a 1/2" bolt. I can't mount my KS part until I obtain 3/8" hardware.

So what size center bolt was/is on your FXR front mount, 1/2" or 3/8"? What engine mount was on your FXR previous to the KS?

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
1/2 diameter on my one owner (me), front mount center bolt,,, when I went with veeva ride,, its center hole was 3/8.. harleys came stock with both in different production years..

·
Registered
87 Posts
When I put the Kinetic Structures front mount on the bike, I had to buy a 3/8th" x 16 x 3 1/4". The one I took out was 1/2".
That said...Over all the years and a few front motor mount changes in 297,000 mi. I can't say if that 1/2" bolt was factory original or not.

·
In disguise
2,745 Posts
3/8-16 x 3 1/4 grade 8 bolt is what my parts manual says.
When I put the Kinetic Structures front mount on the bike, I had to buy a 3/8th" x 16 x 3 1/4". The one I took out was 1/2".
Interesting. My parts manual (1999 FXR2) calls for bolt number 3512, which it says is 3/8 x 24 x 3 1/4". I'm sure the thread count makes no difference but I wonder why the variation?

Center bolt 3512
Center bolt top washer 6019
Center bolt locknut 7782
Center bolt large bottom washer 96210-80

Checked at the local HD dealer who tells me they no longer stock any of this but they are still available on special order. At this point I won't be near this particular dealer again for a while so I figured I'd just wait until I got home. Then I hit eBay. Found everything I need new and in the HD plastic bag for good prices. Still won't happen this trip, however ( sorry, Alan). And I wonder how the 1/2" bolt set found it's way onto the bike when I got it. I highly doubt that the original owner went to the effort of swapping out the hardware yet that means the hardware on the bike didn't match the hardware called out in the parts manual. Just typical Harley stuff, maybe.

·
Registered
87 Posts
FXR2....I happily stand corrected. Upon reading your post, I got to thinking..(never a good idea this early)...so I went out and crawled around under the front of the bike and sure enough....that new center bolt I put in when I installed the KS motor mount is 24 t.p.i

1 - 20 of 36 Posts