V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Wimmer Velocity Stack for my '10 FXDWG. I have heard a couple people saying a velocity stack on an EFI bike might not be a good idea, but I have been unable to find any definitive reason why that would be the case. So what do people think? Can a velocity stack work reliably on a EFI bike?

USMAMule

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
pulling dirt directly into the intake,is not a good idea for a street bike. track bike,yes if tuned correct you might pick up a hp or two @ WOT from 4000 rpm up.
is it worth the premature wear on a street driven bike? No IMO

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wimmer Velocity Stacks have air filers built into them. Does that change your thinking? And why would sucking dirt into a carbed bike be any better? Just seeking ideas from others. I'm planing on a SE cam change so I figured changing from my Ventilator (which crowds my knee) at the same time would be a good idea since the work's getting done. For me it is kind of between a velocity stack and the S&S Teardrop A/C. Seeking better performance and not so cookie cutter a look as a side goal.

USMAMule

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Wimmer Velocity Stacks have air filers built into them. Does that change your thinking? And why would sucking dirt into a carbed bike be any better? Just seeking ideas from others. I'm planing on a SE cam change so I figured changing from my Ventilator (which crowds my knee) at the same time would be a good idea since the work's getting done. For me it is kind of between a velocity stack and the S&S Teardrop A/C. Seeking better performance and not so cookie cutter a look as a side goal.

USMAMule
if it has a filter go for it. really isnt a true velocity stack now.
I never said a thing about using one on a carbed bike.
I said race bike. it might see 4-5 miles a weekend. most likly will be ringed long before it really needs rings.
street bike with open stack will eat a set of rings in a normal season of street riding.
you wont see a performance diff between the two. all these A/C on the market are about the same. there isnt a big enough hp/tq diff between them to actualy see a diff on the dyno. 1-3 hp tq. shift .
is common . and that is about as acurate as the dyno it's self.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Having the filter is kind of a compromise. It's not really a velocity stack and the surface area of the filter is way less than the typical filters. I would think it must get clogged in a very short time. But hey, if you like the look and it works for you, go for it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You really have to weigh the pros and cons of the stack/AC. The idea of the stack was to compress the amount of air entering the system for more power but if you put a filter in the path then you have defeated it and no real gain for your engine. You can get more bang for you buck and better engine life with an SE AC and a good exhaust. If you are going just for looks then it might be worth it but don't expect any performance improvement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts