V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Newbie here so please be gentle with me!

Last wednesday I rode my 1st ever Harley, after over 20 years riding bikes - it was my birthday so my wife and I decided to hire one for a day from Warr's in London. Had an FXDL Low Rider for 24 hours. Being a bit unsure of whether I'd like it but always keeping an open mind, we headed out into the London traffic. For the 1st hour I have to be honest and say I didn't like it much at all. However, once I'd heeded the advice of a Fat Boy-owning friend and got in the bike's 'groove' I had a ball! I loved it! I can now see what all the fuss is about. Following day the bike had to go back (sadly) but on talking to the Warr's sales guys (v helpful) we were given an FXDX to play on for the rest of the day - this had Stage I kit and made a noticable difference to the motor - much more responsive and smoother too.

Now (you can wake up now) to my quesiton: I really LOVE the look of the Sportsters - the 1200S particularly - but am a bit concerned about the solid-mounted motor. What are they like to own? I'm hoping to get a demo on one this week but would really appreciate any input from you guys out there with the experience. One of the big problems with the Twin Cams is the insurance - it's damned expensice where I live. The 1200 would be much more reasonable.

Thanks for any info . :)

Richard.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Love my Sporty too but I'm in the market for a Dyna WideGlide so my Bride can ride with me (either on back or on the Sporty herself). I would say that we are in the combined range of about 350 pounds. Thats a lot of weight on a Sporty. Go bigger if you plan to ride together. Good luck and definetly WELCOME to Harley-Davidson.:D

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Never owned or ridden a Sportster but if going to be doing any 2-up, I would go larger. Wife & I weigh little over 400 combined and on the RK, we sometimes get a little cramped if we ride too long.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had a 2002 1200C and loved it. The vibration was the killer. I found myself making longer trips and carrying a passenger more often. Putting a couple hundred miles a day on a sporty will test your body's ability to stay together. I was making more stops and getting tired faster. Of course I'm talking about a 52 yr old body. As for a passenger, our combined weight was about 350 lb. The rear suspension did not like it. It bottomed out most every time I crossed the curb to get on my driveway. I adjusted the shock almost to the highest setting too.

I traded it in on for a 2002 Electra-Glide Classic. Boy, what a difference. Like I said, I loved the sporty but it didn't work out for my kind of riding.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I used to own a 88 1200 Sporty. Liked the quickness, did not like the vibration. Once I tried a rubber mount motor, I was sold. Have also owned a 84 FXR, 99 FXDL, and now have 01 FLHPI. Wife still has 883 Hugger, every now & then I take it for a spin. BZZZZZZZZZZ- BZZZZZZZZZ
twincamzz

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys,

Thanks for the info - got a demo on our local dealer's 1200 Sport yesterday. I've just about managed to wipe the grin off my face :) Loved it!! OK, the vibes are not funny over 80mph but I'm after a bike that'll keep my speed down to below that anyway. It was a blast so I'll be ordering a Gun metal pearl Anniversary within the next 6 weeks or so.

Cheers,

Richard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.